REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   A bite of China (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680751-bite-china.html)

hkRicer 02-20-2013 04:47 PM

A bite of China

In my opinion this documentary is way better than Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Is even more amazing to watch this in blueray or 1080p

El Bastardo 02-20-2013 04:55 PM

Which video has the cardboard in the steamed pork buns?

SkinnyPupp 02-20-2013 08:22 PM

Nice propaganda piece

asian_XL 02-21-2013 04:54 AM

have you ever heard Canadian cuisine? or Canadian food?

LiquidTurbo 02-21-2013 06:24 AM

Nice video! Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed it.
Posted via RS Mobile

FerrariEnzo 02-21-2013 06:37 AM

i was going to say, they use the REAL stuff in the video.. what I want to see is the "stuff" they really use off video :badpokerface:

punkwax 02-21-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 8165836)

Beer and bacon.

Any more questions?

Razor Ramon HG 02-21-2013 07:45 AM

Man, I want some fucking greasy and dirty Costco poutine right now

J____ 02-21-2013 08:35 AM

natural china is so beautiful including the people. It's the greed and corruption of society here nowadays that's driving the country and people into a self consuming society. Pretty sad

MG1 02-21-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 8165836)

Yes, it's called a mix of everything - from all cultures.

Yesterday I had Mexican........ today, I'll have Chinese.... tomorrow, I'll have Ethiopian.

I can go anywhere I want, protest (peacefully) on a corner without being arrested and hauled off to jail, my children can become anything they want without being told they can't, etc. All without being super rich or having connections.

What's your point again?

Tonnes of people want to come to Canada and call it home........... how many are leaving?

MG1 02-21-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J____ (Post 8165889)
natural china is so beautiful including the people. It's the greed and corruption of society here nowadays that's driving the country and people into a self consuming society. Pretty sad

Absolutely. An awesome country with lots of natural beauty and great people. Like you said it's too bad the very few screw things up

......... the rich getting richer on that backs of others. Not that it's all that uncommon here, but.

CharlieH 02-21-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8165897)

Yesterday I had Mexican........ today, I'll have Chinese.... tomorrow, I'll have Ethiopian.

have you ever had Ethiopian food? neither have they

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--BqJcfiNkE...ba-dum-tss.png

CRS 02-21-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nodnarb (Post 8165861)
Beer and bacon.

Any more questions?

Maple syrup, brah. Maple syrup.

TOS'd 02-23-2013 02:38 AM

3:38am, making me hungry.

MG1 02-23-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieH (Post 8165912)
have you ever had Ethiopian food? neither have they

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--BqJcfiNkE...ba-dum-tss.png

Ha ha ha..........

For the uninitiated, try Axum on Hastings at Clarke Drive. I found out about this place on my last visit to the Brave Bull. The week the Brave Bull closed down for good. I only noticed Axum because of the line up in front of the place due to the Brave Bull closing early that day. I never would have noticed the place if it weren't for the line up.

Anyway, there are at least 4 Ethiopian restaurants in Vancouver that I know of.

Gululu 05-03-2014 10:52 AM

season 2

FS1992EG 05-03-2014 12:18 PM

Fuck China!

The7even 05-03-2014 06:45 PM

China is awesome.

I've always been fascinated with east culture, be it Chinese, Vietnamese or Jap.. but mostly I'd say with ancient Chinese history. That fascinates me the most.

I'm originally European so I asbolutely love my continent .. but Asia was always interesting to me and I sort of always wanted it to be a 'second home' so to speak..

I don't usually say that because people instantly see a white american dude who has a samurai sword collection and chinese tattoos, both of which I proudly lack.

But I just love that place and the people seem so down to earth.

Funny thing is, after the break up of Yugoslavia, a lot of Chinese have made Bosnia their home and set up bussinesses. It's very odd seeing a Chinese back home because only western countries usually attract visitors from elsewhere and I always felt like asking them "what the hell brings you all the way out here", but I'm happy seeing them there, makes the place more interesting and the wolrd a bit closer.
I'd love to see hongkong - many will say "that's not China" but to me I'll always think of it as such.
I'd also love to see the rural areas of China and other not so often talked about places.

Inb4 "nice blog bro!"

double0seven 05-03-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FS1992EG (Post 8465815)
Fuck China!

http://troll.me/images/jesus-facepal...s-facepalm.png

SkinnyPupp 05-03-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The7even (Post 8465963)
China is awesome.

I've always been fascinated with east culture, be it Chinese, Vietnamese or Jap.. but mostly I'd say with ancient Chinese history. That fascinates me the most.

I'm originally European so I asbolutely love my continent .. but Asia was always interesting to me and I sort of always wanted it to be a 'second home' so to speak..

I don't usually say that because people instantly see a white american dude who has a samurai sword collection and chinese tattoos, both of which I proudly lack.

But I just love that place and the people seem so down to earth.

Funny thing is, after the break up of Yugoslavia, a lot of Chinese have made Bosnia their home and set up bussinesses. It's very odd seeing a Chinese back home because only western countries usually attract visitors from elsewhere and I always felt like asking them "what the hell brings you all the way out here", but I'm happy seeing them there, makes the place more interesting and the wolrd a bit closer.
I'd love to see hongkong - many will say "that's not China" but to me I'll always think of it as such.
I'd also love to see the rural areas of China and other not so often talked about places.

Inb4 "nice blog bro!"

I pretty much agree. I always try not to judge people based on their background, be it culture, religion, or anything else. Especially for their government. Awesome people can come from a place with a shitty government or religious background, be it China, America, Russia, or anywhere else. There are also plenty of shitty people coming from places with 'good' open cultures and governments. To me, I criticize how certain places are run, but not the people being ruled. So whenever I say anything about a country, religion, or culture, or whatever.. it has NOTHING to do with individual people.

China has an amazing history, most of which has been washed out and replaced by the communist regime over the last 60+ years. There is nothing that can be done about that now. The city urban of china is horrible, IMO. It is dirty, polluted, over crowded. It attracts people who were usually desperate and looking to improve their lives in any way possible. That often means crime. Again I am not talking about individual people.

Rural China is fantastic to visit. It still has issues with being dirty, but that's just because it's sort of 'old fashioned'. The culture is way more chill than in the city, and you don't have the issue with pollution and garbage everywhere. The scenery hasn't been replaced by "whatever makes money" and some history even survived here and there.

As for hong kong being china, trust me it's not. The fact is, Hong Kong has a much longer history than modern china. They started in the same place in the 1800's, but things started changing the moment HK became a british colony. Hong Kong's culture has grown on its own over 200 years, while china took its own path. Then the communists came in and wiped that out and took them in another direction. They may have come from the same origin, but are nothing alike anymore, aside from some superficial similarities. Ethnicity is irrelevant in all this.

China is taking great steps into manipulating Hong Kong's culture in many ways - sometimes subtle, sometimes overt. And in every way, it is met with resistance. They may overcome it eventually, we'll have to wait and see. If they do, maybe one day decades from now Hong Kong will be indistinguishable from the rest of China. If that does happen, I won't be around to see it. I don't think the people are going to make it easy, that's for sure.

Hehe 05-04-2014 06:24 PM

The season 1 was pretty good. I remembered when it was airing, I was in China for a month long business trip and I'd watch it every night after I got back to hotel.

Season 2 is crappola so far. Let's hope it gets better.

DragonChi 05-08-2014 02:42 AM

Just finished season1 in the first post. I wish I could thank you more than once OP. I really enjoyed the series.

I agree that there's propaganda in it, but there's a lot of knowledge in it too. Like when I thought of China, I thought of overcrowdedness, a mono culture of bejing/shanghai type people. But in the series they almost seem to discriminate between north and south. They even had Korean, Tibetan, and Mongolian people considered as Chinese.

I also thought of a country with an insatiable appetite where sustainability and substance weren't considered. It was true, except the mushroom picking Tibetans. LOL. They didn't even mention that over fishing was the result of them raping the seas. I also expected to see bear gall soup or tiger balls. I'm surprised I didn't.

In the end, I now have the craving for some of the dishes they presented in the show. They looked really tasty.

Fuuck! season2 doesn't have subs. BRB while I learn Mandarin.

Durrann 05-08-2014 07:12 AM

dang season 2 needs subs !