REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

A bite of China

In my opinion this documentary is way better than Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Is even more amazing to watch this in blueray or 1080p

Advertisement
hkRicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Which video has the cardboard in the steamed pork buns?
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Nice propaganda piece
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
have you ever heard Canadian cuisine? or Canadian food?
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Nice video! Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed it.
Posted via RS Mobile
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
i was going to say, they use the REAL stuff in the video.. what I want to see is the "stuff" they really use off video
Old 02-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Waxin Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Beer and bacon.

Any more questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Man, I want some fucking greasy and dirty Costco poutine right now
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

natural china is so beautiful including the people. It's the greed and corruption of society here nowadays that's driving the country and people into a self consuming society. Pretty sad
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Yes, it's called a mix of everything - from all cultures.

Yesterday I had Mexican........ today, I'll have Chinese.... tomorrow, I'll have Ethiopian.

I can go anywhere I want, protest (peacefully) on a corner without being arrested and hauled off to jail, my children can become anything they want without being told they can't, etc. All without being super rich or having connections.

What's your point again?

Tonnes of people want to come to Canada and call it home........... how many are leaving?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 02-21-2013 at 08:54 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
natural china is so beautiful including the people. It's the greed and corruption of society here nowadays that's driving the country and people into a self consuming society. Pretty sad
Absolutely. An awesome country with lots of natural beauty and great people. Like you said it's too bad the very few screw things up

......... the rich getting richer on that backs of others. Not that it's all that uncommon here, but.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

Yesterday I had Mexican........ today, I'll have Chinese.... tomorrow, I'll have Ethiopian.

have you ever had Ethiopian food? neither have they

CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Beer and bacon.

Any more questions?
Maple syrup, brah. Maple syrup.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:38 AM   #14
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
3:38am, making me hungry.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #15
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
have you ever had Ethiopian food? neither have they

Ha ha ha..........

For the uninitiated, try Axum on Hastings at Clarke Drive. I found out about this place on my last visit to the Brave Bull. The week the Brave Bull closed down for good. I only noticed Axum because of the line up in front of the place due to the Brave Bull closing early that day. I never would have noticed the place if it weren't for the line up.

Anyway, there are at least 4 Ethiopian restaurants in Vancouver that I know of.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #17
RS controls my life!

Fuck China!
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2014, 06:45 PM   #18
The sound of inevitability

China is awesome.

I've always been fascinated with east culture, be it Chinese, Vietnamese or Jap.. but mostly I'd say with ancient Chinese history. That fascinates me the most.

I'm originally European so I asbolutely love my continent .. but Asia was always interesting to me and I sort of always wanted it to be a 'second home' so to speak..

I don't usually say that because people instantly see a white american dude who has a samurai sword collection and chinese tattoos, both of which I proudly lack.

But I just love that place and the people seem so down to earth.

Funny thing is, after the break up of Yugoslavia, a lot of Chinese have made Bosnia their home and set up bussinesses. It's very odd seeing a Chinese back home because only western countries usually attract visitors from elsewhere and I always felt like asking them "what the hell brings you all the way out here", but I'm happy seeing them there, makes the place more interesting and the wolrd a bit closer.
I'd love to see hongkong - many will say "that's not China" but to me I'll always think of it as such.
I'd also love to see the rural areas of China and other not so often talked about places.

Inb4 "nice blog bro!"

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #19
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS1992EG View Post
Fuck China!
double0seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #20
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The7even View Post
China is awesome.

I've always been fascinated with east culture, be it Chinese, Vietnamese or Jap.. but mostly I'd say with ancient Chinese history. That fascinates me the most.

I'm originally European so I asbolutely love my continent .. but Asia was always interesting to me and I sort of always wanted it to be a 'second home' so to speak..

I don't usually say that because people instantly see a white american dude who has a samurai sword collection and chinese tattoos, both of which I proudly lack.

But I just love that place and the people seem so down to earth.

Funny thing is, after the break up of Yugoslavia, a lot of Chinese have made Bosnia their home and set up bussinesses. It's very odd seeing a Chinese back home because only western countries usually attract visitors from elsewhere and I always felt like asking them "what the hell brings you all the way out here", but I'm happy seeing them there, makes the place more interesting and the wolrd a bit closer.
I'd love to see hongkong - many will say "that's not China" but to me I'll always think of it as such.
I'd also love to see the rural areas of China and other not so often talked about places.

Inb4 "nice blog bro!"
I pretty much agree. I always try not to judge people based on their background, be it culture, religion, or anything else. Especially for their government. Awesome people can come from a place with a shitty government or religious background, be it China, America, Russia, or anywhere else. There are also plenty of shitty people coming from places with 'good' open cultures and governments. To me, I criticize how certain places are run, but not the people being ruled. So whenever I say anything about a country, religion, or culture, or whatever.. it has NOTHING to do with individual people.

China has an amazing history, most of which has been washed out and replaced by the communist regime over the last 60+ years. There is nothing that can be done about that now. The city urban of china is horrible, IMO. It is dirty, polluted, over crowded. It attracts people who were usually desperate and looking to improve their lives in any way possible. That often means crime. Again I am not talking about individual people.

Rural China is fantastic to visit. It still has issues with being dirty, but that's just because it's sort of 'old fashioned'. The culture is way more chill than in the city, and you don't have the issue with pollution and garbage everywhere. The scenery hasn't been replaced by "whatever makes money" and some history even survived here and there.

As for hong kong being china, trust me it's not. The fact is, Hong Kong has a much longer history than modern china. They started in the same place in the 1800's, but things started changing the moment HK became a british colony. Hong Kong's culture has grown on its own over 200 years, while china took its own path. Then the communists came in and wiped that out and took them in another direction. They may have come from the same origin, but are nothing alike anymore, aside from some superficial similarities. Ethnicity is irrelevant in all this.

China is taking great steps into manipulating Hong Kong's culture in many ways - sometimes subtle, sometimes overt. And in every way, it is met with resistance. They may overcome it eventually, we'll have to wait and see. If they do, maybe one day decades from now Hong Kong will be indistinguishable from the rest of China. If that does happen, I won't be around to see it. I don't think the people are going to make it easy, that's for sure.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
The season 1 was pretty good. I remembered when it was airing, I was in China for a month long business trip and I'd watch it every night after I got back to hotel.

Season 2 is crappola so far. Let's hope it gets better.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:42 AM   #22
HELP ME PLS!!!

Just finished season1 in the first post. I wish I could thank you more than once OP. I really enjoyed the series.

I agree that there's propaganda in it, but there's a lot of knowledge in it too. Like when I thought of China, I thought of overcrowdedness, a mono culture of bejing/shanghai type people. But in the series they almost seem to discriminate between north and south. They even had Korean, Tibetan, and Mongolian people considered as Chinese.

I also thought of a country with an insatiable appetite where sustainability and substance weren't considered. It was true, except the mushroom picking Tibetans. LOL. They didn't even mention that over fishing was the result of them raping the seas. I also expected to see bear gall soup or tiger balls. I'm surprised I didn't.

In the end, I now have the craving for some of the dishes they presented in the show. They looked really tasty.

Fuuck! season2 doesn't have subs. BRB while I learn Mandarin.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #23
I subscribe to Revscene

dang season 2 needs subs !
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote