REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The 6ix
Posts: 9,381
Thanked 5,261 Times in 1,614 Posts
59% of America’s “tuna” isn’t actually tuna

Quote:
JIRO DREAMS OF ESCOLAR - 59% of America’s “tuna” isn’t actually tuna


It's not horse, but it'll do. AP/Itsuo Inouye

Nonprofit ocean protection group Oceana took 1,215 samples of fish from across the United States and genetically tested them in order to bring us the following astonishing facts:
  • 59% of the fish labeled “tuna” sold at restaurants and grocery stores in the US is not tuna.
  • Sushi restaurants were far more likely to mislabel their fish than grocery stores or other restaurants.


What’s for dinner at your local sushi joint? Pretty much anything but what’s on the menu. Oceana
  • In Chicago, Austin, New York, and Washington DC, every single sushi restaurant sampled sold mislabeled tuna.
  • 84% of fish samples labeled “white tuna” were actually escolar, a fish that can cause prolonged, uncontrollable, oily anal leakage.
  • The only fish more likely to be misrepresented than tuna was snapper, which was mislabeled 87% of the time, and was in actuality any of six different species.

If you’ve ever wondered why the sushi in the display case is so affordable, given the dire state of the world’s tuna supply, well, now you know.



Source: 59% of America’s “tuna” isn’t actually tuna – Quartz
How relevant to us? Discus.
Advertisement

Last edited by TOS'd; 02-21-2013 at 11:32 AM.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
In RS I Trust
 
murd0c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mission
Posts: 19,894
Thanked 17,058 Times in 4,015 Posts
This is the kind of topic I don't want to know about...
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment
 
Gridlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New West
Posts: 3,998
Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Honestly, while reading, I was thinking, "oh god, they aren't using horse are they?"
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
?uestlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: bung hole
Posts: 369
Thanked 256 Times in 82 Posts
I've had prolonged uncontrollable oily anal leakage since I was like 12. That article makes it sound like its a bad thing..?

Don't give a fuck what kind of fish it is, it's all about the taste buds
Posted via RS Mobile
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
I came, I saw, I conquered.
 
Slifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,872
Thanked 581 Times in 173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uestlove View Post
I've had prolonged uncontrollable oily anal leakage since I was like 12. That article makes it sound like its a bad thing..?

Don't give a fuck what kind of fish it is, it's all about the taste buds
Posted via RS Mobile
__________________
My Buy&Sell Feedback
Slifer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
guddagudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: canada
Posts: 1,121
Thanked 1,352 Times in 263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uestlove View Post
I've had prolonged uncontrollable oily anal leakage since I was like 12. That article makes it sound like its a bad thing..?

Don't give a fuck what kind of fish it is, it's all about the taste buds
Posted via RS Mobile
wtf
guddagudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,787
Thanked 5,399 Times in 1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uestlove View Post
uncontrollable oily anal leakage
Take girl out for sushi dinner...

Later that night... Self-producing lube?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
rebuild you say?
 
Not really racist!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,172
Thanked 3,610 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Take girl out for sushi dinner...

Later that night... Self-producing lube?

__________________

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Sorry, Charlie.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS
 
ilovebacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,127
Thanked 1,621 Times in 465 Posts
oily anal leakage. LOL!!
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
I STILL don't get it
 
entrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 453
Thanked 648 Times in 151 Posts
reading all the posts so far...:

......
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,513
Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Future study: 60% of beef isn't really beef

Woof
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
what manner of phaggotry is this
 
RRxtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Kelownafornia
Posts: 18,229
Thanked 5,377 Times in 1,785 Posts
so you're telling me I have a 50/50 chance of the tuna taco being a tarp. brb thailand
__________________
STRENGTHaesthetics
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
PM me for my nudes
 
smoothie.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,853
Thanked 3,679 Times in 974 Posts
Oh no, free lube.
Posted via RS Mobile
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The 6ix
Posts: 9,381
Thanked 5,261 Times in 1,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
Future study: 60% of beef isn't really beef

Woof
Posted via RS Mobile
neiggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
I STILL don't get it
 
DEADBEA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: LOL
Posts: 468
Thanked 3,645 Times in 324 Posts
BULLSHIT ASSHOLE
DEADBEA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
rebuild you say?
 
Not really racist!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,172
Thanked 3,610 Times in 1,179 Posts
__________________

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: surrey
Posts: 155
Thanked 77 Times in 33 Posts
I know the reason why they mislabel this items. Its because the blue fin tuna is becoming extinct.

I thought this was common knowledge.

FACTS PEOPLE! Watch a documentary every now and then jeez.
duc_evo_sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,721
Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
so you're telling me I have a 50/50 chance of the tuna taco being a tarp. brb thailand
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #20
I signed up to a Zionist website and all the Illuminati gave me was this lousy usertitle
 
CharlesInCharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,936
Thanked 637 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc_evo_sp View Post
I know the reason why they mislabel this items. Its because the blue fin tuna is becoming extinct.

I thought this was common knowledge.

FACTS PEOPLE! Watch a documentary every now and then jeez.
True, same reason why they label horse meat beef... cows actually add a significant amount of co2 which puts a hole in the ozone. Bon appetit.
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,178
Thanked 374 Times in 141 Posts
I think white tuna is a east coast thing... I have seen it on the menu in Toronto Ottawa and Montreal.

Anyways, oily... what?
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
FerrariEnzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: somewhere
Posts: 7,906
Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
oh god, is it fake fish from china?
__________________
My Buy&Sell Feedback, Thanx
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
I am grateful grapefruit
 
gars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,094
Thanked 831 Times in 392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc_evo_sp View Post
I know the reason why they mislabel this items. Its because the blue fin tuna is becoming extinct.

I thought this was common knowledge.

FACTS PEOPLE! Watch a documentary every now and then jeez.
Bluefin is different from Albacore Tuna - which is what white tuna is supposed to be.
__________________
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
y'all better put some respeck on my name
 
Harvey Specter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,007
Thanked 8,970 Times in 2,249 Posts
First horse meat in the UK and now this...
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
So I had to give him the three piece with the soda
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8,262
Thanked 5,037 Times in 2,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
True, same reason why they label horse meat beef... cows actually add a significant amount of co2 which puts a hole in the ozone. Bon appetit.
isn't it the methane from cows passing gas?

you better not add to it and put a cork up your ass
__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=611711

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net