REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Gas Tax South of Border (https://www.revscene.net/forums/680836-gas-tax-south-border.html)

Recon604 02-22-2013 06:31 AM

Gas Tax South of Border

Quote:

Washington officials are proposing a 10-cent-per-gallon price increase, but that could be bad for B.C. consumers who head south of border looking for cheap deals on anything from groceries to filling up their gas tanks.

A poll last week found roughly three-quarters of Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley residents made at least one trip to Washington state, often to Blaine or Bellingham, to shop during the past year.

According to a poll by Insights West, a marketing research company, more than one-fifth of respondents reported shopping in the U.S. more often than in previous years.

Nine of 10 respondents who made the trip south of the border said lower prices motivated their excursions, including lower gas prices.

But that could change as Washington lawmakers on Thursday proposed a 10 cent bump in the gas tax.

The tax is part of a larger transportation revenue package that would raise $9.8 billion US over the next decade aimed at fixing a crumbling transportation infrastructure.

The poll suggests that virtually every respondent said gas purchases were part of their cross-border trips. The average cost of gas today in Metro Vancouver is around $1.38 per litre, according to gasbuddy.com, but went for the equivalent of $1 per litre at a Tesoro station in Bellingham last week.

Read more: Could the 10-cent-per-gallon gas tax in Washington affect B.C. drivers?
discuss

murd0c 02-22-2013 06:46 AM

Still way cheaper then what we pay now....

GLOW 02-22-2013 07:06 AM

i think most people go down to the US for more than just gas so i don't see it affecting cross boarder shopping a whole lot. went down weeks ago and some old dude at costco was complaining about canadians were making the place look like china...if only a costco or walmart opened up in blaine :ilied:

murd0c 02-22-2013 07:25 AM

as long as they don't raise the price of cheese I'm happy....

GLOW 02-22-2013 07:34 AM

my friend buys cheese down there. never knew how much cheaper it is down there compared to here. especially the fancy stuff.

roastpuff 02-22-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8166959)
my friend buys cheese down there. never knew how much cheaper it is down there compared to here. especially the fancy stuff.

Somehow it also tastes better.

10c is still much cheaper than here. I don't think it will affect the cross border shoppers very much.
Posted via RS Mobile

wingies 02-22-2013 08:54 AM

But what about the residents in washington? Im sure theyre not too keen on seeing their prices go up 10% just because of BC shoppers

snails 02-22-2013 09:30 AM

no 94 octane :( no trip to the states for me

Geoc 02-22-2013 09:37 AM

Crumbling transportation infrastructure? They should check out our roads first :fuckthatshit:
Posted via RS Mobile

Traum 02-22-2013 09:54 AM

With a smaller car, I can currently only save around $8 - $10 on a fill up at Point Roberts. If I am already in south Richmod (say, near Ironwood), it takes around ~30min to do a PR round trip, assuming there is no boarder wait at all. If I am not pressed for time, a trip like this is still (just) worth my while.

But with a 10 cent/gal gas tax, the price differential shrinks from around 20 cents/L to 17 cents/L, and my per trip savings shrink to $6.80 - $8.50, while still requiring the same 30 min round trip. Now I'd really have to make sure I am running the tank dry to make it is worth my while.

see.lai 02-22-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8167031)
With a smaller car, I can currently only save around $8 - $10 on a fill up at Point Roberts. If I am already in south Richmod (say, near Ironwood), it takes around ~30min to do a PR round trip, assuming there is no boarder wait at all. If I am not pressed for time, a trip like this is still (just) worth my while.

But with a 10 cent/gal gas tax, the price differential shrinks from around 20 cents/L to 17 cents/L, and my per trip savings shrink to $6.80 - $8.50, while still requiring the same 30 min round trip. Now I'd really have to make sure I am running the tank dry to make it is worth my while.

You're doing it wrong. You forgot the jerry cans. :troll:

murd0c 02-22-2013 10:01 AM

The trick is to do grocery shopping as well when you are down there. The cost savings on the food makes the trip worth while with out even filling up.

I know most of RS still lives as home so they still have mommy cooking their meals so they don't have to worry about the saving's on the grocery side of things :)

murd0c 02-22-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by see.lai (Post 8167036)
You're doing it wrong. You forgot the jerry cans. :troll:

Don't you mean garbage bags :troll:

GLOW 02-22-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8167038)
I know most of RS still lives as home so they still have mommy cooking their meals so they don't have to worry about the saving's on the grocery side of things :)

:lawl:

Mr.HappySilp 02-22-2013 10:10 AM

I have a co-worker who buys everything from the states now (he lives close to the boarder). On average he saves at least $100 or more each month by shopping down at the states (gas, grocery, electronics, clothing.....) This makes it worthwhile for him.

Manic! 02-22-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snails (Post 8167019)
no 94 octane :( no trip to the states for me

No trip for you anywhere.

Traum 02-22-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8167038)
The trick is to do grocery shopping as well when you are down there. The cost savings on the food makes the trip worth while with out even filling up.

Don't get me started on my folks' grocery hoarding practices. I don't need to flip out in the middle of the day. :fulloffuck:

Phozy 02-22-2013 11:38 AM

Brb, buying 8 gallons of milk and 16 dozen eggs :troll:
Posted via RS Mobile

RecklessNS 02-22-2013 11:41 AM

I thought I was the only one who went down to the states for cheese and fruity pebbles. The cheese community is strong within revscene. :tears:

bloodmack 02-22-2013 12:02 PM

how much is cheese down there? I hardly goto the states to buy stuff.

murd0c 02-22-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 8167105)
how much is cheese down there? I hardly goto the states to buy stuff.

a 2lb block of chedder is $5 at costco, 2lb block of mozza at Costco is $7. the Tillamuck Colby Jack cheese is about $8 for a 2lb block... you can spend up to $25 of dairy each person.

oldsnail 02-22-2013 02:12 PM

Vancouver Island is usually more than 10 cents cheaper than Vancouver in recent years. It is an island, It should be more? I paid 119 at the pump today for regular in victoria.. it gets cheaper as you go up the island. geographically, it is 90kms away. When i was in vancouver few days ago, it was 138.. so i will starve till i go back on the rock

quasi 02-22-2013 02:16 PM

My wife goes almost every week, grocery shopping and gas. Cheese is half price but there is also a lot of things that are cheaper as well. We only live 15 mins from the border she's usually back in one hour to an hour and thirty minutes round trip including crossing the border.

Manic! 02-22-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsnail (Post 8167208)
Vancouver Island is usually more than 10 cents cheaper than Vancouver in recent years. It is an island, It should be more? I paid 119 at the pump today for regular in victoria.. it gets cheaper as you go up the island. geographically, it is 90kms away. When i was in vancouver few days ago, it was 138.. so i will starve till i go back on the rock

GVRD transit tax.

fliptuner 02-22-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by see.lai (Post 8167036)
You're doing it wrong. You forgot the garbage bags. :troll:

fixed. :troll: