REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
I don't get it

running hids without a relay harness and capacitor and disabling drl

story: for a whole year and a half, ive been always having trouble with my hids/harness/and capacitor. all were cheaply bought from ebay and private sales. it might be easy finding a good quality hid kit, but harness/capacitor are not. my capacitor overheated, so i had to buy a new one, and i placed the harness power supply on top of the radiator reservoir (stupid)! today, i wanted see how to disable drl on my 06 corolla xrs drl run hids. but right before doing so, i found this link, DIY: Disable the annoying DRL flicker with HID's - Corolla 9 Forum.

it works!!! and so easy!!! not sure about if it is safe or not...but ill try for now. i also bought piaa intense white halogen bulbs (shipping currently to point roberts) because hids are so unreliable for me. hope it helps you!
Advertisement
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

ur first problem

running hid in corolla housing....
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Retrofit HIDs = illegal
Disabling DRLs = illegal

You will be sure to come post in the Police Forum complaining about how unfair it is when you get a box 1 VI, won't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
I don't get it

Then I should put on my piaa halogens asap. I find hids dont glow well in the wet anyways.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a00755836 View Post
Then I should put on my piaa halogens asap. I find hids dont glow well in the wet anyways.
Typical RS responses include denial (don't care, like my HIDs anyway; don't like the way DRLs make my car look), abstract reasoning (my cousin drove with HIDs in his 1982 Corolla for 30 years and never got pulled over so it must be fine for me), and anti-establishment ranting about how unfair the MV Regulations are.

This response puts you several levels of intelligence about the average RSer.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
Saw a Corolla driving at night with absolutely no lights on in front or back.

Incredibly dangerous - please don't disable DRL's.

HIDs are illegal, but there are so many of them now that generally police don't bother, from my observations. If you drive like a douche, then they may care.

All in all, please just put in regular halogen bulbs (PIAA or whatever), as HIDs are incredibly annoying in stock housing.

Welcome to the forums btw
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Saw a Corolla driving at night with absolutely no lights on in front or back.

Incredibly dangerous - please don't disable DRL's.
This is the stupid thing about the argument "people with DRLs don't know their other lights aren't on so they drive around at night with no other lights; therefore, DRLs are bad": easily half the cars I see driving at night with no lights, DON'T HAVE DRLs EITHER. DRLs or no, you just can't fix stupid.

Quote:
HIDs are illegal, but there are so many of them now that generally police don't bother, from my observations. If you drive like a douche, then they may care.
They're a lot more likely to care if you're blinding everyone from a mile down the road. When I have 15% tint on my back window, my mirror flipped to night mode, and the headlights from clown in a jacked-up pickup a click behind me on the highway are STILL blinding... someone seriously needs a nutkick.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

Got stopped a while back getting on the highway.. Cop told me to take off front tint and sat in front of the car for 30 sec looking at my hids /projector s..
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #9

Running/disabling DRL's have nothing to do with stupidity...it doesn't matter if you have them on or not if you're dumb and senseless.

There are tons of people with blinding HID's. Cops drive with them - around, in front, behind, whatever - and they don't do much.

If, like tool001, they have other reasons to pull you over, then they will look at your HID's and maybe give you VI's, but from my 10 years of driving, not once have I seen someone pulled over solely because of annoying lights.

Spoiler!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Running/disabling DRL's have nothing to do with stupidity...it doesn't matter if you have them on or not if you're dumb and senseless.
That's my point: people "forgetting" to turn their lights on is not the fault of DRLs, it's the fault of stupid people.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #11

Quote:

There are tons of people with blinding HID's. Cops drive with them - around, in front, behind, whatever - and they don't do much.

If, like tool001, they have other reasons to pull you over, then they will look at your HID's and maybe give you VI's, but from my 10 years of driving, not once have I seen someone pulled over solely because of annoying lights.

Spoiler!
incorrect!!

he told me ,he stopped me because of hids.. he didnt even notice my tint till later. (had very very light tint)

this was rcmp. i asked him about it. told me, pulling all truck and cars with hid to check

Last edited by tool001; 02-25-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #12

Haha well you were unlucky, and I was lucky then :P

Don't get me wrong, I hope they catch them lol
Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #13
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a00755836 View Post
That's the thing that people don't realize - coloured HID's, especially once you go higher than your average halogen temperature, are terrible for losing a lot of the usuable light spectrum. Sure, that blue colouring may look cool, but all you're doing is literally making it more dangerous for yourself to drive.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote