REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Cycling advocates call for ‘rolling stops’ at intersections (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681027-cycling-advocates-call-%91rolling-stops%92-intersections.html)

vantrip 02-27-2013 11:58 AM

When was the last time a cyclist actually came to a stop sign and dismounted? Never seen it! Just an hour ago I was looking out of the window and a lady on a bike no helmet blew through the stop sign and went into a city f350, she fell so hard :lawl:

Graeme S 02-27-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vantrip (Post 8171415)
When was the last time a cyclist actually came to a stop sign and dismounted? Never seen it! Just an hour ago I was looking out of the window and a lady on a bike no helmet blew through the stop sign and went into a city f350, she fell so hard :lawl:

And let me guess, she bitched him out for getting in her way and making her crash.

JaPoola 02-27-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8171266)
When the fuck did a cyclist ever actually stop at a stop sign in the first place?

They're pretty much saying "we're already doing this so make it legal".

If that goes thru, I'd like to see lane filtering made legal for motorcycles.

vantrip 02-27-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8171435)
And let me guess, she bitched him out for getting in her way and making her crash.

Not a word, she walked away with a bruised ego, it was gold :fullofwin:

GLOW 02-27-2013 01:50 PM

no dent or paint scratch on the truck?

Psykopathik 02-27-2013 02:03 PM

doenst make sense that cyclists use the road same as cars, but requires no knowledge of road laws?

stop sign means stop for 2 seconds then proceed when safe, not blow through and have a spaz when you almost get creamed by a car.

bike riders need mandatory drivers ed IMO. also appropriate fines for fucking up, just like car drivers. everyone on level play field.

Prolowtone 02-27-2013 02:22 PM

I love to ride my bike once in awhile, but this is bullshit. If you are driving on the same surface you use the same fucking rules, The way it has been for years. Only time i get close calls are when people try to rush past me to turn into a parking lot . They blow out of a side ally and stop on the sidewalk or they turn through a light while i have the walk sign lit up

bcrdukes 02-27-2013 02:27 PM

As a cyclist, I don't believe in this proposal nor do I agree with this advocacy group. Rules of the road should apply to everyone alike - cars, pedestrians, motorcycles/scooters, and cyclists.

Stopping for a mere 2 seconds could mean getting to your destination safe and sound or a ride in an ambulance or even 6 feet under. This nonsense about losing balance is retarded. This advocacy group needs to go away.

Prolowtone 02-27-2013 03:01 PM

If you cant keep your balance then you cant ride and are an endangerment to yourself and those around you, stay the fuck off the road. It is same as if you cant drive a car, Dont do it.. stuff might happen.

These people that are for this are damn hopeless

bcedhk 02-27-2013 03:15 PM

They should focus on improving the painted lines for bike lanes or making them more luminated during dark/rainy weather.

There are way too many dangerous drivers + cars on the road. With our rainy and dark conditions, this plan will not work well and will def cause more cyclist + motor accidents.

LP700-4 02-27-2013 03:15 PM

I ride my bike all the time in the summer, i would say "losing balance" is just an excuse for those bikers that are too lazy to stop and have to re-accelerate.

Geoc 02-27-2013 03:48 PM

I say we start an advocacy group to remove all speed limits, if it worked for the Germans, it must work here too:derp:

J____ 02-27-2013 04:10 PM

if they implement bike insurance, then sure i'll consider this law change.

Raid3n 02-27-2013 04:35 PM

i wouldn't even if they did get insurance.. what i want is filtering. all of europe allows filtering, and if you want a north american example, california allows filtering.

Soundy 02-27-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaPoola (Post 8171444)
They're pretty much saying "we're already doing this so make it legal".

I'm surprised Revscene doesn't support this idea, since so many are already of this mindset:

"We're already doing 30 over the limit through construction zones, so make it legal."
"We're already running HIDs in our otherwise-stock '84 Corollas, so make it legal."
"We're already running test pipes on our daily drivers, so make it legal."

predom 02-27-2013 04:51 PM

Who actually stops for stop signs on a bike? When I was a kid I would blow through those. If I got a ticket I'd be laughing all the way to court.
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 02-27-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predom (Post 8171675)
Who actually stops for stop signs on a bike? When I was a kid I would blow through those. If I got a ticket I'd be laughing all the way to court.
Posted via RS Mobile

Sorry. Perhaps people like myself, 604CEFIRO, Alphamale, and OTG-ZR2 should have adopted that mentality when we went our group ride out to UBC and Stanley Park. Sadly, the hipsters on their fixies we rode beside along W. 10th stopped at a stop sign too. Shame on all of us. :okay:

Fuck stop signs. Yeah. :woot2:

SpeedStars 02-27-2013 05:35 PM

:facepalm: If cyclists want to use the road with cars...They better abide by the same rules that cars do. No exceptions. Cyclists are already hard enough to deal with, suddenly cutting up front beside you on a red light and ALREADY blowing past intersections.

Tim Budong 02-27-2013 05:54 PM

What pisses me off are cyclists that gun through a line of cars waiting at the light on your shoulder...
What if they run into your mirror? whos at fault?

noventa 02-27-2013 06:06 PM

got damn cyclist. Dey took my jrob

Drow 02-27-2013 06:51 PM

in b4

" driving advocates call for "rolling stop" at intersection because doing a full stop consumes more gas and creates more air pollution "

jimmyrustler 02-27-2013 08:04 PM

http://cache.bordom.net/server/?type...RDV3ZJSnQuanBn

vantrip 02-27-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8171501)
no dent or paint scratch on the truck?

Hit the trucks front tire and fell down

vantrip 02-27-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predom (Post 8171675)
Posted via RS Mobile

Posts like these make me sad I don't have a fail button:okay:

JaPoola 02-28-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthchilli (Post 8171729)
What pisses me off are cyclists that gun through a line of cars waiting at the light on your shoulder...
What if they run into your mirror? whos at fault?

Speaking from a motorcycling filtering perspective, if you stay in the middle of your lane, not hugging one side or the other, your mirrors will be fine ;)