REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

using phone to change songs whole waiting at red light??

Just wondering if thats something disputable? I use my phone connected to auxillary as my mp3 player and I was browsing thru my song list while stopped at a traffic light and received a ticket for it. My car have built in bluetooth so im not using it to talk. Worth my time disputing or just pay it off? I know the ticket say use of electronic device while driving but my vehicle was at a complete stop at the time. Whats considered driving? When the vehicle is on or moving? If on does that mean of I pull over to the side I can still legally be ticketed?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
terkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
Stupid law but I believe you are still in the wrong. You are not supposed to be using any electronic devices when operating your car. Even if you are fully stopped at a light or a train. It's even safer to just turn on your hazard lights, pull over, setup your playlist, and not get ticketed. I always change my music but am constantly aware of my surroundings and scanning for cops. I've heard of too many people getting screwed over that it's made me pretty paranoid.
Posted via RS Mobile
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Now what if you have a windshield mounted device for holding your cellphone? You still have to hit the unlock button and probably swipe to unlock. It's considered handsfree I guess, but I find it's harder and more dicstracting to unlock when it's in the holder because I'm fiddling to hit the button. And the damn radio in the car is an electronic so we should ban that too... such a dumb law
ProBoostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #4

I dont fully understand the cellphone law.. when u are using bluetooth its ok but dont u have to use the phone to dial out first if u dont have voice commend?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
the bluetooth thing is a 1 touch law, meaning that you only need to press a button to answer and end calls, so your bluetooth would be on when u enter the car to begin with, i remember reading this a while ago, so wiping, searching, browsing will not be ok.

pretty much cant use any electronic device you bring in the car while not legally parked

you can get tickets for searching thru your radio. if you swerve in the lane while not paying attention and use it as an excuse, police call it distracted driving or something, same as drinking out of a water bottle while driving
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
J89
RS controls my life!

It's always a good thing to dispute it, if you feel wronged why not.
J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Good on the government helping save the people from themselves!

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terkan View Post
Whats considered driving? When the vehicle is on or moving? If on does that mean of I pull over to the side I can still legally be ticketed?
Posted via RS Mobile
Basically any gear other then park, however if your pulled over i doubt a cop will care. Dispute it regardless, i always do and 2 of my 5 tickets cop hasnt showed.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBoostin View Post
Now what if you have a windshield mounted device for holding your cellphone? You still have to hit the unlock button and probably swipe to unlock. It's considered handsfree I guess, but I find it's harder and more dicstracting to unlock when it's in the holder because I'm fiddling to hit the button. And the damn radio in the car is an electronic so we should ban that too... such a dumb law
I'd like to know about the windshield mount too. If you're not holding it, it's handsfree. How would it be different than using a radio or GPS? Does it still count as a handheld device?

Doesn't seem any different to me than a cop having a mount for his laptop keyboard which he browses while driving...
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #10

lol i'm in neutral gear if that counts lol since i'm in a manual XD
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
nma
#RVG

i got a ticket the other day for picking up my phone to see if it was charging n dropping it back on my seat lol.. touched it for literally 2 seconds at a stop light.. funny thing is i dont even need to use it because I have bluetooth.. The cop said that as long as you have it in your hand you'll get a ticket.. I didn't really argue no point
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Are you using an electronic device? Yes.
Are you on the roads when you must be paying attention to conditions around you? Yes.
Do you have an L/N? Yes.

If the answers to the above questions are Yes, then you get a ticket.

Also, as far as windshield mounts and other devices, you are not supposed to use them either. And that includes the radio. This is why a lot of cars are now getting voice controls, so that you can do those things.

Also, my phone is my radio in my car and I have bluetooth audio too. Do you not have audio controls on your head unit or your steering wheel? Because the cops have never had a problem with me hitting 'next' on my steering wheel. And if you don't, you can always just 3M tape a bluetooth remote to your steering wheel.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Part 3.1 — Use of Electronic Devices while Driving

Definitions
214.1 In this Part:

"electronic device" means

(a) a hand-held cellular telephone or another hand-held electronic device that includes a telephone function,

(b) a hand-held electronic device that is capable of transmitting or receiving electronic mail or other text-based messages, or

(c) a prescribed class or type of electronic device;

"use", in relation to an electronic device, means one or more of the following actions:

(a) holding the device in a position in which it may be used;

(b) operating one or more of the device's functions;

(c) communicating orally by means of the device with another person or another device;

(d) taking another action that is set out in the regulations by means of, with or in relation to an electronic device.

Prohibition against use of electronic device while driving
214.2 (1) A person must not use an electronic device while driving or operating a motor vehicle on a highway.

(2) Without limiting subsection (1), a person must not communicate by means of an electronic device with another person or another device by electronic mail or other text-based message.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Were you using the phone with a cop beside you? How were you guys caught?
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #15
I bringith the lowerballerith

i don't understand: (c) a prescribed class or type of electronic device;

does that mean any electronic device? because what if you're using an mp3 player that has zero capability of communication via phone/mail/text?

Other than that, sorry.. we all suck - there are no GOOD photographers here. We just like cameras. kthanksbye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by halogodv2 View Post
Personally speaking i would have cum inside her and then eat that pussy till she cums some more and then fucked her more
[HuCk DuCk] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HuCk DuCk] View Post
i don't understand: (c) a prescribed class or type of electronic device;

does that mean any electronic device? because what if you're using an mp3 player that has zero capability of communication via phone/mail/text?
Not just any, only one that has been prescribed. Look at section 214.6 paragraph (a) to understand:

Power to make regulations
214.6 The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations as follows:
(a) prescribing classes or types of electronic devices for the purposes of paragraph (c) of the definition of "electronic device" in section 214.1;

It's a provision for other electronics to be added to section 214.1 in addition to those described in paragraphs (a) and (b).
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #17
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
It sucks, but yes using your phone at anytime you're in control of the vehicle is ticketable. Sounds like he was having a bad day to give it to you and not just a warning, Unless you weren't polite.
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Given what Zulu posted, you could get a ticket for having a fully BT enabled phone that you used to make a call using only your voice..
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #19
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Given what Zulu posted, you could get a ticket for having a fully BT enabled phone that you used to make a call using only your voice..

(a) a hand-held cellular telephone

If it is BT then it won't be hand held would it? That is called hands-free.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post

(a) a hand-held cellular telephone

If it is BT then it won't be hand held would it? That is called hands-free.
They're describing what type of device it is. My cellphone is a 'hand held device', whether it's currently in my hand, or in the store on a shelf.

Here are the definitions injected into the sentence:

Prohibition against use of electronic device while driving
214.2 (1) A person must not operate one or more of the functions of a hand-held cellular telephone or another hand-held electronic device that includes a telephone function while driving or operating a motor vehicle on a highway.

So that certainly reads like the 'hand held' portion is just a descriptor for the type of device, and doesn't reflect on how it is used at the time. (The "use" section is what that is for..)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #21
RS Peace Officer

The phone is described above as a electronic device...the OP was operating one or more of the functions in a non "hands free" mode by browsing thru the song list. The OP got a VT for doing this. Not sure what the confusion is? Unless the browsing was done hands free the OP was breaking the law. I'm assuming the OP does not have restrictions on a N or L licence?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #22
I subscribe to Revscene

You can browse songs on the screen of a a fancy aftermarket headunit until the cows come home and that's OK, but so help you god if press the "next" button on the side of your phone without taking your eyes off the road.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #23
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
with all the heat, media attention, and initiatives with use of electronic devices while driving, there SHOULDN'T be any slack for those who just "pick up their phone" to see if it is "charged". You know the law, yet you CHOOSE to still pick up your phone. It has been how many years since the law was implemented? Ignorance can no longer be an excuse. What is so important about your phone's charge that is worth 167 dollars? The phone isn't going to charge faster if you check up on it.

and for those wondering about the hands free options

Exceptions to prohibition — certain permitted activities

214.4 Section 214.2 does not apply to a person who uses an electronic device

(a) while operating a motor vehicle that is safely parked off the roadway or lawfully parked on the roadway and is not impeding traffic,

(b) to call or send a message to a police force, fire department or ambulance service about an emergency, or

(c) that is configured and equipped to allow hands-free use in a telephone function, is used in a hands-free manner and is used in accordance with the regulations, if any.

This should clear up what you CAN and CANNOT use http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/share...le-driving.pdf

Last edited by Spidey; 03-13-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #24
I subscribe to Revscene

So tell me this:

Why is it legal to poke at the screen of a head unit to change the song, but not the phone?

Why is it legal to have a map spread out over the steering wheel while driving, but you can't pick up the phone and look at your location on the screen?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
So tell me this:

Why is it legal to poke at the screen of a head unit to change the song, but not the phone?

Why is it legal to have a map spread out over the steering wheel while driving, but you can't pick up the phone and look at your location on the screen?
I didn't create the law, nor do I think anyone on RS did, so maybe you should email or contact the appropriate agency for that answer.

You can argue laws, whether it is municipal, provincial, or federal until the cows come home. It isn't going to change a thing. You break it and get caught, you "pay up". Simple as that.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote