REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
I think you should take a look at the golf tdi.
They start around $25k I believe and interior is decent. Plus you weren't gonna win any races in the B class anyway so at least save some gas with the diesel. Also it's still german if that's your thing.
Advertisement
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #27
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
LOL i like how people are suggesting B250 to camaro mustang brz/frs. Just like another thread a guy is asking for a full size sedan and they suggest STi or evo.

I know this is a car forum and all, OP is looking to LEASE or FINANCE a economical hatchback.

rates would be different is one thing and completely different cars are being compared.

what would i suggest OP for 30 grand if i was ignorant? a tidy, used E39 M5.
classic car forum advice lol, that and 99% of the posts are bashing the old car, wouldn't doubt some similarities but come on...
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #28
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

don't be afriad to own a Benz, if you can do oil change yourself, you can save a lot already. Throughout the 7 years of owning a C230 1.8L supercharged Benz, zero mechanical problem. Did all my own oil change after the first 4 years after warranty expired. Mercedes are solid cars when you don't drive the sh!t out of it. You can take my words for it and this is coming from a real owner.
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
^if religiously maintained that is... My dad's 06 mercs R350 has had its fair share of problems. During the winter of 08, much of the wood accents around the doors cracked, the suspension had major problems, and halo bulbs would not last longer than 3 mounths. In 2011 and 2012 the trunk hydraulics failed, tranny started to slip, and panoramic roof was stuck. By now, it has amassed more than 10K in maintenance, all being serviced by Mercedes Benz. Though I might add, the first gen R-Class was problematic and older mercs classes such as the C class, S class, or E class might fair better..
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #30
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
although i don't have an experiences with b250, here are my 2 cents regards to b200. it is a steaming pile of crap. it was nothing but trouble for my in laws. the window motor broke so they went to fix it through the warranty. less than a day, it broke again, and apparently it was a faulty wire. fixed it again. shortly after, it got busted again and they returned the car. this was all after they had to bring it in for a service. it was called Service Package A. it cost $500 + tax.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #31
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
^if religiously maintained that is... My dad's 06 mercs R350 has had its fair share of problems. During the winter of 08, much of the wood accents around the doors cracked, the suspension had major problems, and halo bulbs would not last longer than 3 mounths. In 2011 and 2012 the trunk hydraulics failed, tranny started to slip, and panoramic roof was stuck. By now, it has amassed more than 10K in maintenance, all being serviced by Mercedes Benz. Though I might add, the first gen R-Class was problematic and older mercs classes such as the C class, S class, or E class might fair better..
Posted via RS Mobile
There are some things that aren't excusable simply due to poor maintenance, my mom's w203 was dealer serviced for everything and followed the maintenance schedule religiously, but shit like spark plug wires within the first year of ownership is unacceptable, the spring that holds the trunk up should not go at <50,000 km or ever really :/ having to change your lightbulbs biannually is not an uncommon occurrence with mercedes either. sunroofs and airmatic suspension should be avoided with a 10 foot pole
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I usually don't put as much stock in listening to other people when it comes to how cars drive, since everyone will have different preferences and i always want to drive it for myself first.

anyways, my gf was given a B200 as a courtesy car and as soon as she came home told me the car was a piece of crap. She's not a "car person" so I didn't believe her, but I drove it yesterday. YEP, the car is a POS.

I'm not sure how many B200s they sold, but reading from everyone else's posts about the B200 and my own driving experience with it, I have no idea how they sold more than 3 or 4 before people will notice how crappy it is. My old 88 Civic drives better than it. Everything from the seating position, mirrors, head rests and the uninspiring ride was wrong in the B200. Can't speak about maintenance issues, but it doesn't seem all that positive from this thread.

I know it's not the B250, but you have to wonder about how the B200 was allowed to be sold in the first place.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #33
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
I usually don't put as much stock in listening to other people when it comes to how cars drive, since everyone will have different preferences and i always want to drive it for myself first.

anyways, my gf was given a B200 as a courtesy car and as soon as she came home told me the car was a piece of crap. She's not a "car person" so I didn't believe her, but I drove it yesterday. YEP, the car is a POS.

I'm not sure how many B200s they sold, but reading from everyone else's posts about the B200 and my own driving experience with it, I have no idea how they sold more than 3 or 4 before people will notice how crappy it is. My old 88 Civic drives better than it. Everything from the seating position, mirrors, head rests and the uninspiring ride was wrong in the B200. Can't speak about maintenance issues, but it doesn't seem all that positive from this thread.

I know it's not the B250, but you have to wonder about how the B200 was allowed to be sold in the first place.
Because it has a Mercedes logo.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #34
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
B-class?
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #35
I don't get it

why not a subaru impreza wrx? has awd. and lots of cargo room for hatchback. and FAST
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

I have driven the new B250 quite extensively and it is a night and day difference from the old B200. The driving dynamics are nothing like the old 245 chassis.

The B200 was built and designed in the daimler-benz era so they didn't age or drive very well, but not much they made in the time did either. The cvt trans was horrible but i don't think i drove any cvt that did drive nice. It not like it was unreliable it just didn't drive nice. It has a high center of gravity and couldn't put the power down very well especially if you had a turbo. The B200 turbo with 6sp actually pretty fast and drove and handled alot better

The B250 is all new, 2L turbo 200hp 260lb/tq 7sp DCT and gets 10l/100km with stop/start technology. The engines for fat midrange torque, the 7spd DCT shifts really fast and rev matches on the downshift. Suspension has been greatly improved compared to the previous generation. I think its a pretty good value when you consider the old non turbo B200 cost $29, turbo B200 $33 where as now you get the turbo 7sp DCT for under $30k.

I think the direct comparative is the 4dr GTI. They both 4dr hatchbacks, both start at $29k, both have 200hp but B250s got 50ft/lb more torque, both have dual clutch tranny but B250 has 7spd. I think cost of ownership would be more or less the same.

I would argue that the B250 is the fastest in this segment except for mazda speed 3.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #37
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I agree the B250 is very different from the old one and is not a bad choice.

The Golf is about to be replaced by a new model next year.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote