REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

Flooring installer overcharged us?

Was hoping to get some input from people more familiar with the issue.

We recently had hardwood installed in our basement. We had a couple quotes and both the quotes estimated a floor size of ~1000 sqft. We found that odd because by our own measurements we counted about 850-900 sqft. However, since both quotes came in at around the same range we said sure, maybe we were wrong.

Fast forward to now, after installation has been complete and we're left with surprise, surprise a lot of leftover wood ~170 sqft (5.5 boxes are left)

Are we entitled for a refund or discount? Even with wastage accounted for they over estimated by 17%. We're being charged for the extra wood and workmanship.

The funny thing is we told them that our measurements were much lower than theirs and they remeasured and still arrived at the same number. What's the general rule here?

TIA!
Advertisement
dton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dton13 View Post
Was hoping to get some input from people more familiar with the issue.

We recently had hardwood installed in our basement. We had a couple quotes and both the quotes estimated a floor size of ~1000 sqft. We found that odd because by our own measurements we counted about 850-900 sqft. However, since both quotes came in at around the same range we said sure, maybe we were wrong.

Fast forward to now, after installation has been complete and we're left with surprise, surprise a lot of leftover wood ~170 sqft (5.5 boxes are left)

Are we entitled for a refund or discount? Even with wastage accounted for they over estimated by 17%. We're being charged for the extra wood and workmanship.

The funny thing is we told them that our measurements were much lower than theirs and they remeasured and still arrived at the same number. What's the general rule here?

TIA!
In short, no.

10-12% in excess is necessary.

On your project, that amounts to between 87-105 sq/ft.

The case size is 30 sq/ft approx, so the real figure is 90-120 sq/ft or 3-4 cases.

Assuming the safe figure, 120 sq/ft or 4 cases was planned excess necessary to take into consideration.

That means - 50 sq/ft or 1 case was an overestimate in materials.

You're somewhat entitled to a discount on that 1 case.

It would be justified, but some might say trivial if they've done a good job.

As you noted, rounding up a bit is pretty standard.

I won't comment on labour, it's too difficult to speak very accurately on it.

I say that, because the relation between labour and material can vary, they're not always in direct relation to one another.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
10-12% in excess is necessary.
This. There always needs to be extra to allow for things like... well, for example, if the flooring pieces are 4' long, but your room is 7'2" wide, then it takes two pieces to go across, but there's going to a 10" piece left for every row.

Now assume the boards are 4" wide, and the room is 8' the other way, that's 96 rows... for a total of 96 leftover 10" pieces. Add in things like angles and alcoves, and you end with a lot of leftover bits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
RS controls my life!

Hey MindBomber, thanks for the reply.

I think I wasn't very clear last night. Our actual footage he estimated was 1000 sq/ft. Ordered footage was 1100 sq/ft to account for the 10% wastage (100 sqft).

However after completion, we're now left with 172 sq/ft on top of the wastage which has already been accounted for.

I agree one or even two boxes in excess would be acceptable (lets say ~70 sq/ft). Now on top of that, we're left with an additional 100 sq/ft for which we're asked to pay labour and materials for.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
On materials...it can happen. Usually, I measure to have one box or so extra. I'd rather have a box left, than have to run out and grab some. I also never buy from places that have a no return policy.

It should be fairly easy to work out with the contractor. Just measure it with him in the room, and say to his face, "so you and I get 900 sq.ft...and yet I get charged for 1000. What up?"

I always charge the install, but buy the waste, meaning if you are buying the material through me, then waste is included in any markup on material, but labour should be the installed floor.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
On materials...it can happen. Usually, I measure to have one box or so extra. I'd rather have a box left, than have to run out and grab some. I also never buy from places that have a no return policy.
Here's your key: if your contractor won't refund you on the extra unopened boxes, then the place he bought from should have - get the receipt from him and take them back.

I don't know about other stores, but when we bought our laminate from Home Repo, they told us any unused, unopened boxes could be returned for full refund. (We ended up with only one unopened so figured it's not worth the hassle, it's always good to have some extra for later, in case damage needs to be repaired or something)
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

It should be fairly easy to work out with the contractor. Just measure it with him in the room, and say to his face, "so you and I get 900 sq.ft...and yet I get charged for 1000. What up?"

I always charge the install, but buy the waste, meaning if you are buying the material through me, then waste is included in any markup on material, but labour should be the installed floor.
I appreciate all the input guys.

Ya I was pretty much wondering what industry norms were. Our guy is charging us labour on installed + wastage sq/footage.

Not a big deal by itself, but it is if he's gone over by 3-4 boxes.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #8

Overestimating the amount isn't a big deal, as long as the extra can be returned. Heck, we calculated that we'd need 14 boxes, decided to allow two extras for wastage... and then when we were loading up the cart, went ahead and just rounded up to an even 20, because we knew we could return any unused. Better safe than sorry... better too much than not enough... rather be looking at it than looking for it.

Actually, we're wishing now that we'd bought and kept a couple extra boxes when we redid the dining room 8 years ago: there are some pieces that are trashed, and we don't have enough leftover planks to redo them all... and there's ZERO hope of finding a matching laminate (both grain pattern, and locking edges) with today's stock (in fact, I think the company that made the previous laminate isn't even around anymore).
Quote:
Old 03-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #9

^Oh, forgot to mention... as it turned out, the toilet in the half-bath overflowed about two days after the living room floor was done... about HALF of the laminate on that level was ruined and had to be replaced. Good thing we had the extra boxes!
Quote:
Old 03-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
THE CHAMPION OF CAPUA

how much did everything cost?
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

There's always someone of waste but if you're paying someone for their skilled work and he's supplying because it's what he thinks he needs then he better admit when he's wrong. I'm sure you didn't agree nor expect to have uninstalled wood laying around, or did you?

Ask him to lower his invoice based on the materials and labor not used. If that doesn't work then don't pay him.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Hey MindBomber, thanks for the reply.

I think I wasn't very clear last night. Our actual footage he estimated was 1000 sq/ft. Ordered footage was 1100 sq/ft to account for the 10% wastage (100 sqft).

However after completion, we're now left with 172 sq/ft on top of the wastage which has already been accounted for.

I agree one or even two boxes in excess would be acceptable (lets say ~70 sq/ft). Now on top of that, we're left with an additional 100 sq/ft for which we're asked to pay labour and materials for.
Got it, I agree then.

It's difficult to measure perfectly, I certainly have a margin of accuracy. 100 sq/ft off is excessive, though.

Give him a shout.

Last edited by MindBomber; 03-01-2013 at 06:42 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

It all depends on how the deal was done:

1, he came out and gave you a price to complete the job. even if he measured wrong and under estimated, he will have to eat it up.
2, he came out to give u an estimate, and gave you a price on how much it would be a sq/ft. this way you get billed on the actual sq/ft used.

Before everyone starts telling him to get a refund and not pay up, we need to know how the deal was was done in the first place. If the deal was A, be happy he left you spare floorings for spare. If the deal was B, go after him and pay him on the amount of flooring used.

Last edited by E60_M5; 03-12-2013 at 07:19 PM.
E60_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

ordering extra is one thing...5 extra boxes is another, i'd ask for a refund on material and labour
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
ordering extra is one thing...5 extra boxes is another, i'd ask for a refund on material and labour
Seconded - a bit extra to account for wastage is fine, but it sounds like this guy WAY over-estimated... or just pulled a number out of his ass.
Quote:
Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #16
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60_M5 View Post
It all depends on how the deal was done:

1, he came out and gave you a price to complete the job. even if he measured wrong and under estimated, he will have to eat it up.
2, he came out to give u an estimate, and gave you a price on how much it would be a sq/ft. this way you get billed on the actual sq/ft used.

Before everyone starts telling him to get a refund and not pay up, we need to know how the deal was was done in the first place. If the deal was A, be happy he left you spare floorings for spare. If the deal was B, go after him and pay him on the amount of flooring used.
B

we were quoted labour and materials on square footage. At $6 for materials and ~$3 for labour, 172 sq/ft is no joke.

I've been super busy but we're in midst of sorting things out, will post updates soon.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #17
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
172 square feet? wow thats enough to do a whole room.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
B

we were quoted labour and materials on square footage. At $6 for materials and ~$3 for labour, 172 sq/ft is no joke.

I've been super busy but we're in midst of sorting things out, will post updates soon.
Was the flooring material a special order or was it a stocked item? Most of the times if the flooring u purchased is a non stocking item, there is a no return policy on it. So when I have clients that needs flooring done, my flooring guys just give them straight up a "finished" price
E60_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote