REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,234 Times in 3,293 Posts
if Christy Clark wasn't using taxpayer dollars to fund her campaign maybe there would be the money for projects like this (she issued an apology )
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Sheesh, I was driving along Broadway today, I forgot how much of a bottle neck it is.

And who the heck designed the parking on 9th just before Cambie? The street where the burger place is, behind London drugs.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #28
rsx
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,381 Times in 805 Posts
have they even installed those turnstiles or compass card systems yet?
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #29
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,523 Times in 693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Build the line to Granville or Arbutus. If UBC wants it extended to the campus, they need to put up the money for the extension. After all, they should be flush with cash considering all the development that they've done over the last 5 years.

Besides, everyone knows that university education is overrated. Build a spur of the Millenium Line to the BCIT campus on Willingdon and call it a day.
Posted via RS Mobile
This is what I'm thinking; I graduated from UBC 8 years ago, and I went back recently and was SHOCKED at the amount of development in that time...

This is what I don't understand: How can you continue to approve development of housing and businesses in an area, and not consider how people get there???

The same goes for Coquitlam and Surrey; you can't just continue to approve building permits without considering the volume on the roads to get there!!!

Just like our new toll bridge and highway that is 20 years too late! Why the hell do they wait so long??
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
have they even installed those turnstiles or compass card systems yet?
Installation began months ago. Most stations have them installed but not completely, i.e. some are missing the glass partitions. It does seem to be on track, though.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #31
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,794 Times in 823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanAir View Post
The same goes for Coquitlam and Surrey; you can't just continue to approve building permits without considering the volume on the roads to get there!!!

Just like our new toll bridge and highway that is 20 years too late! Why the hell do they wait so long??
Cities or Translink can't run deficits. Cities approve permits so businesses and residents can move in and pay taxes to fund the infrastructure.

The bridge and highway, on the other hand, were definitely 20 years too late, but most politicians can't make decisions with the long-term in mind because the people who bother to vote are ill-informed and can't think of the long-term either. And if you don't believe me, well, the voters in this province voted to remove the HST after it was implemented.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #32
HELP ME PLS!!!

A great article about the importance of a Broadway Subway, and further highlights that LRT is NOT AN OPTION.

SPECIAL FEATURE: UBC-Broadway subway needs to be top regional priority | Vancity Buzz | Vancouver Blog
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Cities or Translink can't run deficits. Cities approve permits so businesses and residents can move in and pay taxes to fund the infrastructure.

The bridge and highway, on the other hand, were definitely 20 years too late, but most politicians can't make decisions with the long-term in mind because the people who bother to vote are ill-informed and can't think of the long-term either. And if you don't believe me, well, the voters in this province voted to remove the HST after it was implemented.
I agree....except for W.A.C. Bennett. My grandmother was friends with the family so I read a book on them. If you take a look, the Bennett family has done tons for BC and their expansion projects were thinking of the future. Now their name is on countless projects in tribute. I don't know what it was like back then with respect to public opposition but he was able to get a shit ton of things done.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #34
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

^ You know.. I'm likely going to be failed for this, but the same can be said about Gordon Campbell. The guy's name has certainly been dragged through the mud over the last few years, and it's mostly deserved, but I do think history will look back at some of the projects brought in and decisions made under his government and show he was a progressive Premier.

I'm not a fanboi of his either, one of the first moves he did in power was downsize the number of civil servants working for the BC Gov't, and this directly screwed my father out of a provincial pension (he'd left private industry where he could make a far higher salary, for a lower current wage but fat pension... any way, I digress). But, it can't be argued how much future liability this saved the Province with all the massive pensions that were set to kick in.. right about now as the baby boomer demographic is moving in to retirement mode.

He lowered both corporate and personal income taxes, which I believe changed BC to a destination Province to live in (remember all the news in the 90s about net OUTFLOWS of provincial migration from BC to Alberta?), brought in the HST which although was shitty how he rammed it down our throats is a superior tax model to PST. In terms of mega projects.. Sea-to-Sky highway upgrade, Port Mann bridge / Gateway upgrades, Golden Ears bridge (still empty LOL but will be great 10 years from now!)..

Love or hate the guy, it's my opinion he did a hell of a lot more for the Province than all the Premier's I've seen since moving to BC in the 80s.
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #35
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,794 Times in 823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocardia View Post
I agree....except for W.A.C. Bennett. My grandmother was friends with the family so I read a book on them. If you take a look, the Bennett family has done tons for BC and their expansion projects were thinking of the future. Now their name is on countless projects in tribute. I don't know what it was like back then with respect to public opposition but he was able to get a shit ton of things done.
The current political environment is not conducive to long-term thinking.

Real incomes have flatlined which has made it harder for the middle class to swallow tax increases for long-term projects. Second, the internet has given everyone a voice - including the ill-informed. Back in the day, the media controlled the debate and favoured a more nuanced and thorough analysis of issues. Now, all you need are a couple of loudmouths, such as the Zalm, to get people to make backward decisions. Third, interests groups have gained a powerful role in the policy process.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Tapioca; 03-04-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: