REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Get ready for longer line-ups at the border crossings...

US border guard budget slashed. Up to 5000 guards cut.

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/T...583/story.html
Advertisement

Last edited by pearlaudi; 03-01-2013 at 07:58 PM.
pearlaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Link dont work
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Truckers fear U.S. budget crisis means longer waits at border
Prediction of 5,000 fewer U.S. border agents could mean delays at road crossings and airports

B.C. truckers fear they will see longer lineups return at the Pacific Highway truck border crossing this spring despite measures last year that had reduced average waiting times at the nation’s fourth busiest crossing from 52 minutes to 11.

The worry, echoed by B.C. manufacturers and exporters, was triggered by America’s failure Friday to avoid its latest budgetary crisis — the so-called sequester — which could lead to cuts include ending overtime and laying off air traffic controllers, border guards, customs officers and food and agriculture inspectors.

The staffing cuts have sparked fears of longer waits that could cripple Canadian exports, hamper the economy and cause long waits for goods and people heading into the U.S.

The failure of the U.S. Congress to approve last-minute measures to avert a crisis means the $1.2 trillion US in across-the-board cuts came into effect at 11:59 p.m. Friday. Everyone — from exporters who need to quickly ship their products by truck, to tourists planning to drive or fly for a vacation getaway in the U.S. — would be affected. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said earlier this week her department would have to cut 5,000 border patrol agents.

“We’re hoping for the best and planning for the worst,” said Louise Yako, president of the B.C. Trucking Association, which uses three crossings — Pacific, Aldergrove and Sumas.

“We’ve been working with the Ministry of Transportation here and the U.S. Customs and Border crossing to change the configuration of the truck crossing at Pacific … now we’re potentially talking about going backwards.”

At noon Friday, the wait at Pacific Highway was 20 minutes, and 30 minutes at Sumas.

Yako said local border officials told her organization that three truck lanes will remain open but the effect of the reduced number of border guards remains to be seen.

The move is expected to take effect around April 7 as the employees are required to be given a month’s notice.

About one million trucks pass between B.C. and Washington annually, resulting in an $11 billion trade, based on 2011 figures. With 70 per cent of these trucks registered in B.C., Yako said, the effects on this province will be enormous.

Craig Williams, vice-president of the B.C. branch of the Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters Association, said his organization has similar concerns as the U.S. is the CMEA’s largest customer. B.C. doesn’t have as big a stake as Canada, he said, with only a little less than half of its $30 billion worth of exports annually going south of the border, but it’s still a concern if members are tied up in traffic at the border.

“We’re very, very worried about it,” Williams said. “ … (if) it starts to hold up productivity lines it’s going to be huge. With the movement of people and goods and services down there, this has the potential to grind things to a halt.”

Napolitano said delays will occur at border crossings and at customs checkpoints in U.S. airports, while at the busiest airports, peak waiting times could rise from two hours to four hours or more. At seaports, delays in examinations of containers will increase to five days.

Ken Oplinger, president and CEO of the Bellingham Whatcom Chamber of Commerce, said he doesn’t expect the situation to be that dire, noting he was told the layoffs would be mostly behind the counter. He acknowledges the elimination of overtime could be problematic during typically heavy traffic times — when more lanes are usually added and officers asked to work overtime — but those times can be avoided by drivers.

The busiest traffic loads heading south are on weekends between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., and during the summer months, when drivers now often wait between 45 minutes and two hours to cross. He maintains it’s too early to see what effect the sequester will have but noted “it could certainly add well onto over an hour” on border waits.

The Nexus lanes shouldn’t be affected, he added, because those drivers are pre-screened and additional lanes aren’t opened to accommodate travellers. He added the Bellingham airport would likely only see an extra 10 to 15 minute delay for travellers as a result of the sequester because of the infrequency of flights.

“We’ll see what happens once this all gets into place,” he said.

Meanwhile, the Canadian manufacturers and exporters have been in daily contact with U.S. border agencies, as well as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, said Birgit Matthiesen, Washington special adviser to the Canadian Manufacturers and Exporters Association.

She said furloughs at U.S. Customs and Border Protection will begin April 7, along with overtime slashing and a reduction in travel. She maintains the cuts likely won’t affect the primary lines, but secondary inspections.

“The overall priority along the land border will be travellers and cargo streams, so there may be a shift in resources so that lane access is not reduced,” she said. but noted any glitch could have a “snowball effect.”

Matthiesen said she is also concerned that every port will have to come up with its own new measures, noting that it will mean companies won’t know what guidelines are in place from one port to another.

Port Metro Vancouver declined to comment on the new measures Friday, while Tourism Vancouver said it was too early to comment. Jenny Duncan, spokeswoman for the YVR Airport Authority, added: “At this point weren’t not making any changes but we will monitor the situation.”

In an emailed statement, the Government of Canada said its top priority is jobs and growth and facilitating legitimate trade and travel between Canada and the U.S. is “key to our continued economic success.”

“It is our hope that leaders in the United States work together to develop action that will put the U.S. fiscal position on a sustainable path,” said the email from John Babcock, spokesman for Foreign Affairs. “We would be concerned with any impacts that could delay progress to reduce waiting times for people and goods at the border.
Truckers fear U.S. budget crisis means longer waits at border
Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

the good thing is this means it would be between 45 minutes to 2+ hours before i have to deal with the asshole border cop
[22-02, 21:43] ?uestlove i personally find it very attractive when women have stinky farts.
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Its only $50 bucks to get your NEXUS pass and its good for 5 years, good investment if you hate lineups.
gramser57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
I've seen it a few times that when its packed the Nexus line is slower than the regular
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
i imagine they'll be quicker to allow cars to drive through if this is true or at least i hope it's like that since they want/need our $$$ even though some of the guards act like they don't
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
hmm.. would this mean that applying for the nexus pass would be even stricter?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
Not a mod

It will having no bearing on the Nexus program.
Posted via RS Mobile
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_Racing View Post
I've seen it a few times that when its packed the Nexus line is slower than the regular
This isn't true.

The nexus line seems longer because it's only 2 lanes compared to the regular lanes, but it is always faster.

I know because I recently got my Nexus and everytime I'd cross I'd "mark" a car in the regular line that was there before me, and not once did s/he go through before I did.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

makes my trip down to the US even better as I bypass all the traffic with my Nexus pass
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
I go down at least once a month and I've never seen this.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I remember waiting at the Detroit - Windsor border for 4 hours once. sigh
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
There have been a few times the Nexus has been slower. It depends on the time of day, at which crossing, and how many of the regullar lanes are open. One time at Pac crossing, there was a huge ass lineup of regular cars, within a span of 10 minutes, they open all lanes. Poor Nexus people were left far behind with those pylons preventing them from crossing over the to lane where us mere mortals cross.

Anyway, I cross at Sumas and the Nexus hours there sucks. I cross at 6:00 am and there is nobody in any of the lanes. I catch the border guard snoozing, LOL.

I've had my Nexus application filled out for close to a year now, but keep forgetting to send it in. Also, I hear the wait time to get the Nexus pass is about 6 to 8 months. Then there's the fricken interview. I'll probably say something to piss them off and get banned from entering the US. Hee hee....
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
Not a mod

Processing Nexus vehicles is much quicker than normal traffic at a ratio of about 3:1. Even if there is a line, it moves quite quick.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
Not a mod

Not sure where you heard that, at the moment its about Jun/July unless there are other issues with your application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

Also, I hear the wait time to get the Nexus pass is about 6 to 8 months. Then there's the fricken interview. I'll probably say something to piss them off and get banned from entering the US. Hee hee....
Old 03-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Iuno what u guys talking about. I used nexus yesterday and I was through in about 30secs when normal line up was about 30min what's this waiting longer I keep reading about hehe
Posted via RS Mobile
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Media sensationalism and nothing else.

Truth is , cuts to the US budget should have been done a long time ago.

Congress in the USA are just dicking around doing nothing.

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
I don't get it

went down to point roberts yesterday morning 10am. very busy...especially the nexus line. it was more busy than the last sat i went a month ago.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCrusher View Post
Not sure where you heard that, at the moment its about Jun/July unless there are other issues with your application.
Yeah, it varies, but I just applied for my daughter in January, was accepted by mid February, interview date is in mid April.

So 3-4 months.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #21
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
Yeah, it varies, but I just applied for my daughter in January, was accepted by mid February, interview date is in mid April.

So 3-4 months.
Great, so it got better. I will send the application in, then. If all goes well, I should be able to get an interview date in June.

For those who go to the US, the lineups are really short early in the morning. Even on weekends. By early, I mean before 6 am.

Cross at 6, in Seattle by 9 easy.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #22
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
interview dates are in july/august now..just try and keep checking and refreshing..sometimes people drop their appointment dates and you will be able to enroll in it. i got my interview after 3 days being accepted condnitionally. Its just the luck of the draw
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Great, so it got better. I will send the application in, then. If all goes well, I should be able to get an interview date in June.

For those who go to the US, the lineups are really short early in the morning. Even on weekends. By early, I mean before 6 am.

Cross at 6, in Seattle by 9 easy.
Don't forget to apply for your kids, it's free for anyone under 18!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
Quote:
I've been in the nexus lane where it was slower than the regular lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #25
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
I've been in the nexus lane where it was slower than the regular lane
been in that situation twice....
last trip down on the way back it was backed on to the I5 so I couldn't even get to the nexus and was waiting with everyone else for quite a while

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote