REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
Tip on starting up an investment club/fund?

Hey guys, currently in the process of starting up an investment fund/club with a bunch of my buddies from my university. I am new to this,but I thought it would be a good idea to start one up and be familiar with the markets, etc. Each member would pool in money and use our capital to invest in the markets and so on through a formal process of course (stock pitches and voting, etc)

What are the legalities in starting one up? We already have a broker under Questrade. We have also done a constitution with every member's signatures and witnessed by a legal entity for safety purposes. However, do you guys feel that it is mandatory or important to set ourselves up as a legal partnership (E.g. LLC) under the provincial government? Note: I am currently studying out in Ontario, so I would be registering in Ontario

What legal restrictions would I be facing in starting an investment club?

Moreover, do you guys have any other tips or suggestions in starting up this club/fund?

Thanks in advance. Any advice would be appreciated!
Advertisement
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
SiRVs up, dude

I am not sure how you will present the idea of this club to your student society. It seems like there is a questrade account (<- singular). Does this mean that you will have one QT account supporting a big club of people? If so... how do you determine the logistics of who does the trading (when to buy AND when to sell - this might cause a lot of issues within the group), how much money they are allowed to trade etc.

And recruiting... be careful not to turn it into a ponzi scheme in the making
Old 03-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,012 Times in 988 Posts

but... ok ill try being serious here... shouldn't really have to worry about real legal issues unless your "managing" 100s of thousands - millions in capital
make sure everyone's name is on the account

and please to god don't call yourself a "fund"...
strykn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
You will learn a lot through the hardship to come.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Expect to lose friends and money.

Do it with play money to learn, if you all want to invest your own money, individually, if you want, but that would be your own choice
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

From your profile info...I'm guessing you're at queens right now? If you haven't already, I would suggest looking at the QUIC website...their fund has been very well managed since inception and their reporting procedures are quite clean. Guess you could start there...or better yet just get into QUIC instead of starting this club
t8v6 is offline   Reply With Quote