REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #26
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
People always say that those who want an MT are the 'ones who race their car', and the 'rich' only want a status icon. From what I've seen, that's completely false..

The ones who want the MT are the guys who just think MT is more fun to romp around the town in.

At the track, I would welcome paddles, as racing gives you enough things to think about between acceleration, braking, driving line, course layout, etc. It's also not like the act of shifting is what makes racing fun.. it's the whole package. Paddles, if anything, probably make it more fun, so that I can concentrate on the rest of the car.

So paddles don't seem like a bad idea at all. At the track, its just as fun, and more efficient and the 'rich' (the actual customers of the car) prefer it.

So it seems that the only people complaining are the forum warriors and journalists, who will never own one anyways..
You make it sound like you'll be racing all the time. Probably not true.

Driving a manual car is more engaging, more involved than a PDK, the point of which is to make things easier and more efficient.

Now for the track, you want those qualities in order to achieve the best lap times. It lets you focus more on steering and braking.

On the street or during 99.99% of driving time you are not trying to beat the clock, if all you're doing is steering and braking... Zzz that puts me to sleep. And majority of people with a dual clutch leave it on full auto most of the time anyway. Sure, I've driven dual clutch equipped cars and it's fun for awhile but then the tendency is to just leave it in drive.

And those journalists have the seat time to be able to give opinions that carry weight. They get to drive many different kinds of cars for a living so I'll trust their opinion when they say something gives more driving pleasure. Respectfully, their opinion is more valid than yours or mine.

I don't care if they offer PDK, I'm just sad that the manual is gone. Although I feel like it will come back again at some point.

Haha we are going to see teens driving this car soon.
Advertisement
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

i would take driving this car for 10 minutes over fucking the hottest skank of my choice for 40.
[22-02, 21:43] ?uestlove i personally find it very attractive when women have stinky farts.
?uestlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
125hp/l...not bad at all...that's definitely Honda territory.
not yet. it's missing the vtec. close though...
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #29
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
125hp/l...not bad at all...that's definitely Honda territory.
Honda doesn't make anything close to 125 hp/l in a production car engine above 4 cyls.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #30
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post

Driving a manual car is more engaging, more involved than a PDK, the point of which is to make things easier and more efficient.

Now for the track, you want those qualities in order to achieve the best lap times. It lets you focus more on steering and braking.

On the street or during 99.99% of driving time you are not trying to beat the clock, if all you're doing is steering and braking... Zzz that puts me to sleep. And majority of people with a dual clutch leave it on full auto most of the time anyway. Sure, I've driven dual clutch equipped cars and it's fun for awhile but then the tendency is to just leave it in drive.

And those journalists have the seat time to be able to give opinions that carry weight. They get to drive many different kinds of cars for a living so I'll trust their opinion when they say something gives more driving pleasure. Respectfully, their opinion is more valid than yours or mine.

I don't care if they offer PDK, I'm just sad that the manual is gone. Although I feel like it will come back again at some point.
That's a good point.. MT is more fun for a street drive (morning commute is debatable..), but I guess it's hard when you can't have both. And in a car like the GT3, I think they have to choose the more efficient one.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #31
I don't get it

Im surprised gt3 will only have pdk. I thought they would put in the new 7speed manual
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #32
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Oh man, I would love one.

I bet they are expensive as hell to mod
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post

Haha we are going to see teens driving this car soon.
IMO, I don't think it's wrong for the GT series of the 911 to not have manual. It's their most track-oriented cars that happen to be streetable and PDK is just superior.

People confuse visceral and engaging. You want an engaging car to drive on the street? Porsche sells a Boxster S with a manual still. Drop the top down and enjoy an engaging drive. The GT3 and RS are all about the visceral feelings of driving. The violent exhaust bark on every shift, the PDK that feels like a sequential gearbox out of a race car, the accuracy of the steering at limit. That's visceral.

As for them bringing back the manual gearbox for the GT3....

On when the manual gearbox was ruled out…

'We ruled out the manual gearbox in back to-back comparisons last summer. On every shift with the PDK is more emotional, because for the first time when you shift at 9000rpm there’s a bham! in the exhaust, and this gives you goosebumps. It blips the throttle on the downshifts, and on a road you don’t know you can go very fast with both hands on the wheel. And on a race track the PDK gains three-quarters of a car length with every shift, so after a long straight you’re ahead of the other car and can turn-in in front of him. It just works. This is the big news.

'There’s no chance of a manual. We don’t want to offer too many options on our GT cars. And if you’ve got a manual and a PDK you’ve got to have different set-ups for the suspension, the aero, the tyres, everything. We are a small team and can only concentrate on one car.'

The people who are going to be buying this car will have other cars on the street.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #34
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
every time a new car gets introduced with paddle shift only, the forum automatically gets into a debate of auto vs manual... every... friggen... time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
#savethemanuals

Old 06-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #36
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Chris Harris does such awesome reviews. He's a real car guy and expresses it. Doesn't care about how he presents himself; usually in a beard and pokes himself about it, and just wears a t-shirt and shorts. (check the one with the Huayra)

The car, it looks and sounds great. 9k rpm?! that's just awesome.
Only personal gripe, I wish the hoops in the seats looked better... lol just a minor thing =P
Old 06-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #37
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABU View Post
Can't wait for 991 GT2 GT3 RS. BTW no Nurburgring lap time for this thing yet ?
it wont be faster than the GT-R so I don't think they would even bother posting it
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #38
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
^In the video above it said 7:25 on two different types of tires.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #39
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
I think the most important point he made in that video is, welcome to the era where manual gearbox no longer necessarily contributes to being a better driver's car. The same goes for performance and every aspect where it can be measured.

Its a just matter of personal preference now. People should cherish their manuals now that they still got it. Not going to be a problem for me though, I've loved DCT/SMG since the days of horrible neck snapping gearchanges But man it made me realized how fast things have changed...
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #40
#savethemanuals

Must resist urge... Lol

I'll just agree that there's a place for both transmissions depending on how you want to use your car.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
N8
I STILL don't get it

If you ever plan to do club level road racing, get a manual. 99% of club racing cars if not all are manual, since most people cannot afford to race a car with a GOOD dual clutch. Also less stuff to go wrong.
Learn blipping, learn heel toe. Better to learn sooner than later and it is very satisfying once you get the hang of it. Also, you will be able to get into any car and drive the shit out of it.

Manual purists unite!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #42
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

the 997 GT3 introduced traction control. that was one step and one sign that Porsche maybe have been moving the GT3 model towards a more 'mainstream' buyer. someone who wants a racy drive, but would still want some of the modern comforts of an everyday 911. this new GT3 looks like it is moving another steps towards that focus. because, at the end of the day, it's about the company moving cars off the showroom floor.

while the PDK is a very race oriented transmission, it definitely lacks the visceral driving experience of a manual transmission vehicle. I guess one can't escape electric steering as it is the standard steering wheel system on the regular 911 Carreras.

I think the GT3 RS is going to be the only "true" analog driving experience offered by Porsche now. or will they move the PDK into that car as well???
Old 06-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #43
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8 View Post
If you ever plan to do club level road racing, get a manual. 99% of club racing cars if not all are manual, since most people cannot afford to race a car with a GOOD dual clutch. Also less stuff to go wrong.
Learn blipping, learn heel toe. Better to learn sooner than later and it is very satisfying once you get the hang of it. Also, you will be able to get into any car and drive the shit out of it.

Manual purists unite!
That's the thing with you "purists". You assume that once someone buys a DCT car, they don't know how to drive manual. No, they probably do.
Posted via RS Mobile
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #44
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
When I got my E91, I suddenly forgot how to drive my M3.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #45

it's like Panamera or something...

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #46

964 Turbo (widebody) and 991 Carrera

This post FAILED by:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #47

This post FAILED by:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #48

people should stop blaming GT-R for being huge

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #49
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Thats a 993 first of all. Second of all, can the gtr penis be pulled out of your mouth for just one thread?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #50
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
this time I have to agree with timpo......with electric steering and increase in overall size, the 991 is getting to be a luxury boat. The saving grace is that they increased the wheelbase and moved the engine forward 4 inches.....I don't care what technology car companies implement, you cannot change physics, weight and size do not help the driving experience.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: