REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   991 GT3 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681277-991-gt3.html)

JoshuaWong 03-04-2013 09:39 PM

991 GT3

Can't believe no one posted this yet, but 9000rpm red line and the most amazing dual clutch gearbox ever... :fullofwin: Offered only in PDK, personally I won't miss the manual at all.

-Fastest shifting DCT ever
-Manual clutch in/out via paddles

BABU 03-04-2013 10:17 PM

Can't wait for 991 GT2 GT3 RS. BTW no Nurburgring lap time for this thing yet ?

radioman 03-04-2013 10:22 PM

Very cool.

Vale46Rossi 03-04-2013 10:23 PM

Lol, no stick?

Can't wait till all those C-Lai's and young girls driving em GT3 in Richmond.

Energy 03-04-2013 10:49 PM

I wonder if it'll end up like BMW catering to their US customers and adding a 6 speed to the M5.

3.3 secs to 100km/h... Give me a manual and I don't care it if take 4 secs.

unit 03-04-2013 11:01 PM

manual is starting to be a thing of the past with high performance cars.

broken_arrow 03-04-2013 11:10 PM

Not even going to lie... SO MUCH WANT, lol!

westopher 03-05-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 8176509)
manual is starting to be a thing of the past with high performance cars.

I can understand why, but it sure bums me out. :okay:

Z3guy 03-05-2013 06:46 AM

^ I agree, manuals provide the most enjoyable and rewarding driving experiences, but technology moves on........a 4 barrel carb on a big block V8 sounds amazing, but it is just passe now........from the video, it sounds like the GT3 PDK system is going to be quite different than the regular PDK.

unit 03-05-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8176579)
I can understand why, but it sure bums me out. :okay:

http://cdn2.planetminecraft.com/file...969556_lrg.jpg

Wormiez 03-05-2013 11:17 AM

http://i.imgur.com/5FWkBex.png

BurnoutBinLaden 03-05-2013 11:25 AM

A lot of purists will cry foul over the lack of manual, but I see it differently. The GT3 is a race car, and incorporates technology that pushes the limits of what's possible. Years ago, could anyone have predicted KERS in a production car, or S-tronic or PDK? It's a technological masterpiece.

Also, the new rich don't care about having a pure sports car. They're not the kind of people to get onto a race track and heel-toe. They only want the best and fanciest car out there-North America is the holdout, which is why the E60 and F10 M5s both got a 6MT option.

Rich Sandor 03-05-2013 11:32 AM

I love paddle shift. So much faster and more efficient. Makes you almost feel like you are driving an F1 car.

Akinari 03-05-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden (Post 8176811)
A lot of purists will cry foul over the lack of manual, but I see it differently. The GT3 is a race car, and incorporates technology that pushes the limits of what's possible. Years ago, could anyone have predicted KERS in a production car, or S-tronic or PDK? It's a technological masterpiece.

Also, the new rich don't care about having a pure sports car. They're not the kind of people to get onto a race track and heel-toe. They only want the best and fanciest car out there-North America is the holdout, which is why the E60 and F10 M5s both got a 6MT option.

I dunno man, if I win the lottery tomorrow I'm pretty sure that I'd have enough money to buy a couple fun things with sticks to toss around :badpokerface: to go along with my automatic luxobarges.

ilvtofu 03-05-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 8176819)
I love paddle shift. So much faster and more efficient. Makes you almost feel like you are driving an F1 car.

IMO I wouldn't feel any less involved driving a good paddle shift
It's amazing how people jump to conclusions about it being a non-engaging experience when they have never driven it.

Z3guy 03-05-2013 01:09 PM

I am a novice driver at best, I love the GT3 on the track but in comparison to a 997.2 Carrera PDK, I find I can focus more on my braking pts and turn in allot more than having to worry about my shifting. I still prefer to use the paddles Vs full auto though.......

Timpo 03-05-2013 01:12 PM

125hp/l...not bad at all...that's definitely Honda territory.

freakshow 03-05-2013 01:13 PM

People always say that those who want an MT are the 'ones who race their car', and the 'rich' only want a status icon. From what I've seen, that's completely false..

The ones who want the MT are the guys who just think MT is more fun to romp around the town in.

At the track, I would welcome paddles, as racing gives you enough things to think about between acceleration, braking, driving line, course layout, etc. It's also not like the act of shifting is what makes racing fun.. it's the whole package. Paddles, if anything, probably make it more fun, so that I can concentrate on the rest of the car.

So paddles don't seem like a bad idea at all. At the track, its just as fun, and more efficient and the 'rich' (the actual customers of the car) prefer it.

So it seems that the only people complaining are the forum warriors and journalists, who will never own one anyways..

westopher 03-05-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 8176899)
The ones who want the MT are the guys who just think MT is more fun to romp around the town in.

Definitely true.
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 8176899)
So it seems that the only people complaining are the forum warriors and journalists, who will never own one anyways..

Definitely not true.

ilvtofu 03-05-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z3guy (Post 8176891)
I am a novice driver at best, I love the GT3 on the track but in comparison to a 997.2 Carrera PDK, I find I can focus more on my braking pts and turn in allot more than having to worry about my shifting. I still prefer to use the paddles Vs full auto though.......

Check out this video posted today, fast forward to 2:45
Watch how the paddle shifter gearbox allows these professional drivers to really take liberties with the steering and braking/throttle points
Being in the right gear IMO lets you get way more involved with the driving dynamics that actually matter

Gumby 03-05-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8176897)

:facepalm:

flagella 03-05-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden (Post 8176811)

No one is arguing that the rich cares about stick shift. People are simply disappointed as there are more cars shifting towards paddle shift. There are enthusiasts, including me, who would choose manual any day of the week.

Yea sure it's a technology that pushes the limits of what's possible, but seriously how many people are actually even out there who has the skills to do that, not to mention the riches buying those will prob rarely hit any track days anyway.

kunoman1 03-05-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8176897)

:fulloffuck: what...

vantrip 03-05-2013 08:28 PM

For no driving that's very interesting and entertaining.

wstce92 03-05-2013 08:42 PM

used to love that the gt3 was manual only.
hopefully the gt3rs will at the very least give the option of a manual.
would love to own a s2k or 1m/z4m/z3m or sti; knowing that all my brethren rock the stick as well.