REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #26
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
So if I have this right a $1300 ASIC Miner will out do all those computers. The Video claims 48 gh when fully upgraded. This $1300 miner will do 60gh.
Bitcoin Mining Hardware 60 GH/s Bitcoin Miner - Homepage Hero Product - Butterfly Labs
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #27
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
So if I have this right a $1300 ASIC Miner will out do all those computers. The Video claims 48 gh when fully upgraded. This $1300 miner will do 60gh.
Bitcoin Mining Hardware 60 GH/s Bitcoin Miner - Homepage Hero Product - Butterfly Labs
well that video was posted a year n a half ago.... and the ASIC miner needs a host machine to work? how much is a host machine? or can any computer be turned to a host with proper software?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #28
I don't get it either

Quote:
well that video was posted a year n a half ago.... and the ASIC miner needs a host machine to work? how much is a host machine? or can any computer be turned to a host with proper software?
if that guy has been mining with that much hardware since June 2011, and assuming he had 0 bitcoins at that time (which is not possible because he looks like a really early adoptor), his bitcoins would be worth $5-6 million dollars today.
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
I understand the idea of bitcoin mining, getting paid to find the hash solution to a data block with distributed computing.

What I don't understand is what the significance of the data block and solution is once it's found or what it's used for?

Like I always thought this was something like SETI@home, or Folding@home. In those cases you're running the math on a bunch of science data, and the end result is that a discovery or whatever might be made.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

It's like solving a bunch of math problems and getting rewarded for the answer. Nothing happens to the solution. It's just a way to make it so that bitcoins release slowly over time.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #31

Quote:
The host machine can be something like a Raspberry Pi from what I understand. The less power used by the host computer the better.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #32
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
It's like solving a bunch of math problems and getting rewarded for the answer. Nothing happens to the solution. It's just a way to make it so that bitcoins release slowly over time.
That's what I was struggling to understand, I was thinking the math problems had some sort of significance.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #33
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
so whats stopping some nerds from creating billions of bitcoins?

how are governments/banks going to impede its use? if they aren't that just has me suspicious /tinfoil hat

hmmm started by MIT has me even more

CIA has us processing sensitive information and giving us "coins" for it

StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
so whats stopping some nerds from creating billions of bitcoins?

Because there are only 21 million bit coins total.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #35

I'm not saying it can't be hacked but it's pretty secure. It's not being controlled by the government. If you really want to you can download the entire registry and micro-evaluate every transaction that has ever occured.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Because there are only 21 million bit coins total.
for now
and there are only so many $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 bills out there but that hasn't stopped counterfeiters before

same with Credit Cards

from the video above it states each transaction is verified by a miner so wouldn't any hackers just need a server acting as their own miner to get their transactions through? (even if they cant pass all their transactions through their own server) and to better get their fake transactions through get enough servers together so that they can "verify" the majority of bitcoin transactions?

anyway seems neat but way too early

edit: or if the coins are truly secure and limited; couldn't they feed their own servers with the necessary information to mine coins so that they get the majority of the coins available?

i dunno
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
for now
and there are only so many $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 bills out there but that hasn't stopped counterfeiters before

same with Credit Cards

from the video above it states each transaction is verified by a miner so wouldn't any hackers just need a server acting as their own miner to get their transactions through? (even if they cant pass all their transactions through their own server) and to better get their fake transactions through get enough servers together so that they can "verify" the majority of bitcoin transactions?

anyway seems neat but way too early

edit: or if the coins are truly secure and limited; couldn't they feed their own servers with the necessary information to mine coins so that they get the majority of the coins available?

i dunno
Bit coins are not physical coins and control c control v will not work.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #38

maybe i wasn't clear but i meant there must be someway for hackers to reproduce them

or running fake transactions through their own servers

etc, i dunno seems fishy especially with no governing body which i think will eventually be a necessity

just found this seems interesting especially reason #2

https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...at-to-bitcoin/
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #39
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Woohoo I have 0.02054063 internets
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #40

BTW bitcoin is up to $54 now, you better start mining before the ASIC hardware starts hitting the masses

I mine full time at about 800 m/s
Old 03-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #41
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Man, I wonder how much money I could've made if I started bitmining a few years ago when Ulic first made the thread..

Was always discouraged since my hardware wasn't very great, even more so now that I have a MBA

Looking again at the graph what Skinny posted..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

The 7870 does a decent job of mining... I don't know what all the rates are, so I just used this conversion calculator. According to it, mining with the Radeon 24/7 would bring in 1.45 BTC per month, worth about $62 USD a month.
HD7870 = $62USD revenue a month and it has a hash rate of roughly 400 megahash

A 30 gigahash for sale (https://products.butterflylabs.com/3...oin-miner.html) will produce roughly 75 times more bitcoins than the HD7870 = $4650

Of course with variations in the bitcoin market taken into consideration, it still doesn't seem very hard to make the money you spent on the ASIC + money on the side.

Maybe there's more to it that someone wants to explain? More people mining = less bitcoins to be produced?
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 03-19-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #42

Yup as more people mine (or more accurately, better mining hardware is released) the rate at which coins are released goes down. So if you are making $62 a month at 400 Mh, it might go down to $5 a month - or less - eventually. It will get to the point where for sure even the best video cards aren't worth the power cost.

BFL is about to release a bunch of hardware that is VERY cheap ($130 is the cheapest one) that will completely change mining. You WILL have to buy this kind of hardware if you want to mine.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #43
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Is anyone doing any investing with bitcoins? Seems risky as fuck, but I'm definitely interested.

EDIT: I think if the current "bubble" bursts, I'll invest. But at the same time, I really wonder if it's going to drop down in prices.. this shit seems to hold value.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 03-19-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #44
I don't get it either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Is anyone doing any investing with bitcoins? Seems risky as fuck, but I'm definitely interested.

EDIT: I think if the current "bubble" bursts, I'll invest. But at the same time, I really wonder if it's going to drop down in prices.. this shit seems to hold value.
Yeah it's tempting but risky. if I bought a week ago I would've gotten a gain of 25%.
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #45
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Problem I have with bitcoins is that they are run like fiat currency but is run and stored digitally.

First off, is that no code or system design is ever perfect, if there is money to be made, someone will find a way to exploit it.

Second off, unlike traditional fiat currency, it is not backed by or regulated by anything. We have no entity that ensure it's value or have considerable power to do so (eg. banks and govt.) So this 'currency' is only valued as much as the market values them, so they can blow up in a moments notice, a potential ponzi scheme you may say. Because of this, it can easily become a pump and dump.

But it certainly does look tempting, buying couple hundred to thousand dollars worth of hardware, and sitting back and making it rain. Sounds too good to be true? Maybe.

But then again, what is the loss? Electricity, and just some computer hardware at most (if you have no other use for it.) So if you're gonna do it, don't hoard and hold long, make what you can leave when the time is appropriate.

Just IMO.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #46

woot over 50

Last edited by mos_skeeto; 03-19-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
BFL is about to release a bunch of hardware that is VERY cheap ($130 is the cheapest one) that will completely change mining. You WILL have to buy this kind of hardware if you want to mine.
I think BFL may be a scam. Take a bunch of pre orders close shop and keep the money.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #48
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

this is the first time i heard anything about this
daica-viet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #49
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
yeah i made a thread a year or two back.

for all you guys thinking quick buck get rich fast... good luck. it's not gonna work.

to mine 24/7... the computer doing it is rendered useless. so it's not just the cost of the card, but the cost of the computer (cuz you're not gonna be able to use the computer while its mining).

and like i said earlier.. once these ASICS hit... your mining will become useless.

if u had an ASIC... RIGHT NOW... go for it... mine all you can. but none of u guys will be able to get your hands on one for a few months at least. so... yeah.

for "newbs" that duno much about computer stuff.. forget it. you're gonna lose your wallet or someone's gonna hack it or whatever. you're gonna fuck it up somehow.

as for speculation... if you have some money.. yeah it might be good to buy some bitcoins and sell when its high and buy back when its low. lots of ppl have made money speculating/trading... but then if you're gonna do that... there's real markets u can trade.

no different that buying any other market (stock markets, derivatives etc).

bitcoins are not regulated and not insured. if it crashes and goes to 0. you're out.

lol, at my work RCMP guys come in to lecture us and teach us "money laundering" stuff.
I raised the question of bitcoins... cuz it's probably a haven for small time money laundering.

lol you know what their answer was?

"like any other threat, if it becomes too big, the CIA will crash it and destroy it".

i haven't heard anything more true than that.

so... if you can bank at least 100 bux a month (sacrificing a machine) after all your overhead costs.... sure go ahead and do it. lol.

but i can think of a lot more ways to make a lot more money a lot faster.

that being said...lol... i shoulda bought an ASIC months back

don't get me wrong, tons of ppl (kids to adults) have made hundreds of thousands of dollars, or millions even. but you're not them. and you're not gonna be them. you're all hopping on the bandwagon at the very end tail. these guys were on it since the beginning, and they have better computer skills than you. they know what they're doing. and they mine this shit, and they speculate this shit on top of mining.
Their life revolves around this shit. it is their life, their job etc.

this isnt some get rich quick thing. if you wanna do it, it will become your main hobby/life etc. if it isn't you'll just be making chump change. and you STILL have to find a way to convert it to real cash...

Unless you're gonna use the bitcoins on silkroad to buy illegal drugs and services. lol.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 03-19-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #50
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostaholic View Post
if that guy has been mining with that much hardware since June 2011, and assuming he had 0 bitcoins at that time (which is not possible because he looks like a really early adoptor), his bitcoins would be worth $5-6 million dollars today.
are you also calculating the power consumed? that setup probably sucks up A LOT of power. and depending on where he's located... he's probably paying a lot more for electricity than we are.

by the way, there are cases where cops come knocking on ppl's door because of the power consumption spike. the patterns are very similar to grow ops. so just watch out for that too.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote