REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Honda to return to F1 with McLaren?

Brb dying from awesomeness overdose F1 is lonely without Honda, this would be a nice comeback for Honda, even if McLaren will only be using their engines. Just in time for the NSX release as well.

VIA BBC SPORT

Quote:
McLaren are to use Honda engines as the Japanese company returns to Formula 1 for the first time since 2008.

Honda pulled out of F1 after years of poor results with its own team, which subsequently won the championship as Brawn in 2009 and is now Mercedes.
But the engine manufacturer has decided to return because of next year's introduction of turbo engines featuring energy recovery technology.
McLaren are first expected to race with Honda engines in 2015.

A McLaren spokesman said: "We never discuss media rumours about potential partners."

Mercedes, which currently supplies McLaren's engines, said it could not comment on its partner's plans, but its F1 executive director Toto Wolff said: "We are looking for a long-term engine supplier relationship with McLaren-Mercedes."

McLaren has a contract with Mercedes with options for the team to renew for 2014 and 2015. McLaren are expected to take up only the first of those options.

Honda president Takanobu Ito on 8 February admitted that the company was "studying" the idea of an F1 return.

The company has not yet officially confirmed its plans to return.
The McLaren-Honda deal revives a partnership that had great historical success.

McLaren, with Honda as an engine supplier, dominated F1 in the late 1980s and early 1990s, winning four consecutive world drivers' championships with Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost, as well as the corresponding years' constructors' titles.

In 1988, McLaren with Senna and Prost enjoyed the most successful season in F1 history, winning 15 of the 16 races.

Honda also dominated the mid-1980s with Williams, winning the 1987 drivers' title with Nelson Piquet and the 1986 and 1987 constructors' championships.
Honda would become the fourth road-car manufacturer supplying engines in F1, alongside Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari (Fiat).

Honda's decision to re-enter F1 vindicates the switch to the new engine formula, which has been criticised and opposed by F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone as an unnecessary expense.

Its proponents, mainly governing body the FIA and the car manufacturers already in F1, have long argued that the sport needed to abandon the current formula for 2.4-litre V8 naturally aspirated engines because they were an out-of-date technology and out of tune with the requirement for energy efficiency.

The new engines will feature extensive use of energy recovery systems, a technology that is increasingly prevalent in road cars.

Mercedes has said that it is aiming for a thermal efficiency of 40% with its new turbo engine - a figure markedly more efficient than even the best road-car diesel engines, which are in the region of 35%.

The formula promotes efficiency through a limit on the amount of fuel that can be used and is expected to further the development of such engines in road cars.

Last month, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh was critical of the sport's vacillation over the new engines, which were initially planned to be introduced in 2013 before Ecclestone engineered a delay of a year.

"[Road-car] manufacturers need to see it happen now," Whitmarsh said.
"Even in the last few weeks people [have been saying]: 'Oh, should we really go V6 next year?'

"We're committed to it. Good, bad or indifferent we've got to do it now. We've been saying it for long enough, we've delayed it long enough, we've actually got to bloody well do it.

"If I was on the board of a big OEM [road-car manufacturer], I'd be saying: 'Let's wait a couple of years and see whether F1 actually does what it says it's going to do for a change.'

"So [the] combination of the world economy, the biggest recession in OEM history, uncertainty over whether we've really done it, but F1 remains a fantastic environment for brand exposure for OEM and I predict in four-five years' time we'll be back up to four or five OEMs in the sport.

"You'll have a constant churn. For some of us F1 is our core business. OEMs will be here when it suits them and it helps them sell cars or helps them differentiate the cars so they can sell them at a higher price. There is no love for the sport.

"They have to be there for rational business reasons. So creating technologies that are socially relevant, are appropriate to the automotive industry [is important].

"But we now have to prove we have the governance in our sport, that it's consistent and stable, that we're not all going to go bust. I'd hold back a bit if I was an OEM."
Advertisement
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Dearly hope so, fingers, toes all crossed.

conincidence? McLaren F1 / NSX was the by product of the Honda/McLaren F1 era... hope they are at it again for the P1 and NSX!
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
oh damn, excited
hope Honda can succeed and not end up leaving again

in other news
One Piece at a Time: This Brit Is Building an F1 Car in His Backyard

Last edited by !e.lo_; 03-07-2013 at 05:45 PM.
!e.lo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

finger crossed, and please bring back the Marlboro red roof theme
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNT View Post
finger crossed, and please bring back the Marlboro red roof theme
Hmm...

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWong View Post
Dearly hope so, fingers, toes all crossed.

conincidence? McLaren F1 / NSX was the by product of the Honda/McLaren F1 era... hope they are at it again for the P1 and NSX!
I think McLaren F1 was built to celebrate the partnership between Honda + McLaren + Ayrton Senna.
For some reason Honda didn't want to build the engine for McLaren F1.
Gordon Murray, the chief engineer of McLaren F1 asked Honda to build a 4.5L V12 or V10.. and he asked 3 times but Honda still didn't want to build it.

So McLaren had to compromise with BMW 6.1L V12, it was a heavy engine but very powerful.
The McLaren F1 ended up having the fastest topspeed record because of BMW's big powerful engine but that's not what Gordon Murray wanted.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

OMG! that would be sooo awesome! Then I would have to buy the new NSX eh, since I can't afford a Mclaren=(
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,763 Posts
I'm excited about the competition and unknowns the new motors regs are going to make in F1.

At the same time I'm fucking glad that I got the chance to experience 18,000 RPM V8's in person.

It;s kind of strange how Honda had such a history in F1's turbo era, but at the same time barely has had any turbocharged street motors.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote