REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   North Korea ends peace pacts with South (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681427-north-korea-ends-peace-pacts-south.html)

kunoman1 03-07-2013 09:21 PM

North Korea ends peace pacts with South

BBC News - North Korea ends peace pacts with South

Quote:

South Korea's defence ministry said that the North would become "extinct" if it went through with its threat.

The North Korean announcement, carried on the KCNA state news agency, said the North was cancelling all non-aggression pacts with the South and closing the main Panmunjom border crossing inside the Demilitarized Zone.

dinamix 03-07-2013 09:25 PM

Meh. Talk is cheap.

br2 03-07-2013 09:33 PM

http://www.supplementinnercircle.com...138013-580.jpg

Traum 03-07-2013 09:47 PM

I seriously dunno what the chubby nutcase is thinking. If DPNK really goes ahead with any form of pre-emptive strike, Pyongyang will really get itself flattened, and his little hermit kingdom will be no more.

inv4zn 03-07-2013 09:53 PM

The second and third last presidents of South Korea had a very...peaceful strategy for North Korea. One of them won a Nobel Peace prize for his "effort in maintaining peace within the Korean peninsula.

The South gave North a LOT of money and food as part of the policy, and all that's done is just give the North resources to arm itself.

The new young leader is trying hard to maintain control by trying to show he's not a pussy, and his dad probably told him that if he threatens the south they give him food in return.

The scariest part of this is how some people in the south are so used to peace they have no idea how volatile the situation is. It was a big issue because when NK conducted their nuclear test a while ago the second most searched term on their search sites were "cosmetic sales"

Manic! 03-07-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inv4zn (Post 8179309)
The second and third last presidents of South Korea had a very...peaceful strategy for North Korea. One of them won a Nobel Peace prize for his "effort in maintaining peace within the Korean peninsula.

The South gave North a LOT of money and food as part of the policy, and all that's done is just give the North resources to arm itself.

The new young leader is trying hard to maintain control by trying to show he's not a pussy, and his dad probably told him that if he threatens the south they give him food in return.

The scariest part of this is how some people in the south are so used to peace they have no idea how volatile the situation is. It was a big issue because when NK conducted their nuclear test a while ago the second most searched term on their search sites were "cosmetic sales"

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...I7UVU0Oror9Nmg

inv4zn 03-07-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8179317)

I meant the fatass in the north.

How you consider Park to be young is beyond me, because she's 61.

CRS 03-07-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8179317)

Pretty sure he meant North Korea since he's talking about lineage... And the south giving them food...

*edit:
1 minute late

:okay:

StylinRed 03-07-2013 11:01 PM

he also threatened a preemptive Nuke strike on the USA today

the new puppet leader of South korea has a real aggressive stance to the North too that may be why the North is being so loud lately

bestsoup 03-07-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8179329)
Pretty sure he meant North Korea since he's talking about lineage... And the south giving them food...

*edit:
1 minute late

:okay:

Lineage works for both south and north korean leaders

Traum 03-07-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8179355)
he also threatened a preemptive Nuke strike on the USA today

the new puppet leader of South korea has a real aggressive stance to the North too that may be why the North is being so loud lately

The pre-emptive strike business has to be the stupidest thing the chubby dude could possibly have said. To make it worse, he has to throw the nuke word around as well. If I were Uncle Sam, I would just take action at the slightest bit of military activity at any of the N.Korea nuclear test sites / missile sites, and accuse them of carrying through with this pre-emptive nuke attack. Except for the various ballistic and nuclear missiles, the actual military forces are in no capacity to engage in any kind of combat. Any kind of actual fighting would result in a complete pushover.

CRS 03-07-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestsoup (Post 8179359)

:suspicious:

I wasn't aware that the South's current leadership was passed from parent to offspring...

Traum 03-07-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8179365)
:suspicious:

I wasn't aware that the South's current leadership was passed from parent to offspring...

Not directly, but it is kind of like how the Kennedy's and Bushes work in the US. The current lady president of S.Korea is the daughter of an ex-dictator president. But despite the dictatorship, that ex-prez was very much revered by S.Koreans.

inv4zn 03-07-2013 11:24 PM

Current South president (just sworn in to office) is the daughter of former dictator/president Park Chung-Hee. Park Chung-hee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wasn't really "passed down", so lineage may not be the correct term, but it's happened. I guess kind of like Bush Sr. and Jr.

Culture_Vulture 03-07-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestsoup (Post 8179359)

in case you haven't been following the news for, oh I don't know...your whole life? South Korea is a democracy.

Now, it was under Park Chung-Hee's leadership that South Korea was even put on the world map in the first place, so that may account for something. But the notion of lineage you're suggesting (nepotism) does not exist in a democracy.

StylinRed 03-07-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture (Post 8179385)
But the notion of lineage you're suggesting (nepotism) does not exist in a democracy.

India

bestsoup 03-07-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture (Post 8179385)
in case you haven't been following the news for, oh I don't know...your whole life? South Korea is a democracy.

Now, it was under Park Chung-Hee's leadership that South Korea was even put on the world map in the first place, so that may account for something. But the notion of lineage you're suggesting (nepotism) does not exist in a democracy.

Democracy is a word governments throw around. The DPRK is definitely not democratic like it's name suggests.

Manic! 03-08-2013 12:21 AM

In a conventional war North Korea does not stand a chance. North Korea can barley hit Japan with a missile ans still does not know how to mount a nuke on one. The biggest problem would be what to do with all the people after North Korea was defeated.

Graeme S 03-08-2013 12:27 AM

Coles notes for those of you just joining us in the ongoing craziness that is North vs South Korea.

DPRK (Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea) aka "North Korea". Dictatorship, third generation. Originally Marxist-inspired communism, eventually retconned (srsly) into "Juche", the philosophy of military-first self reliance. Kim Jeong-Eun (that'd be pronounced juhng-'n) has basically just hit thirty and has no fucking clue what he's doing, or so it seems. But he's doing it happily.

ROK (Republic of Korea) aka "Korea" (because the North has no contact with anyone except Iran to build their nukes, most people who talk about Korea don't even bother adding that it's South). Also, I guess South Korea when you want to distinguish the two. Democracy in name for about 50 years, in fact for about thirty. Pulled itself up by its own bootstraps with a great deal of political repression including coup d'etats, wholesale massacres of civilians (by the current president's dad!) and managed to unfuck itself economically TWICE within as many generations.

For a quick rundown on who the new Korean prez is, look here for a detailed breakdown of her pre-election:
Ask a Korean!: Korea's Presidential Election - Part I: Park Geun-hye

AS IT STANDS:
South Korea's government is completely and totally fucked since the current prez came in under a whole bunch of campaign promises not the least of which being a cutback on cronyism and ethical violations....who then proceeds to turn around and reappoint a whole bunch of corrupt people and try to reorganize broadcast media from a currently-independent legislative body to a ministry that would be headed directly by her.

North Korea...is just as fucking crazy as it was before, going nuts over who owns what, claiming the need for more food aid while spending all its money on the military, photoshopping in a bunch of people rollerblading, making flash racing games for god knows what reason...

All in all, it's going to hell in a handbasket. In talking with my friends in Korea (and yes, I have quite a number--both interested in politics and not), most of them are shrugging their shoulders and going "meh" at the end of the ceasefire. I mean, until something happens, it's all just words. And an artillery attack before the ceasefire is called off would be much more effective than one after. There's nothing they can really do about it either way, they're just sort of...waiting to see what happens.

TL;DR: complex political shit from idiots made of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

rsx 03-08-2013 01:50 AM

I think the biggest variable is this is the first time China backed the UN sanctions (correct me if I'm wrong).

The newest round of sanction is really squeezing DPRK's financial pipeline in China (if China really enforces it).

A-Dev 03-08-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8179416)
In a conventional war North Korea does not stand a chance. North Korea can barley hit Japan with a missile ans still does not know how to mount a nuke on one. The biggest problem would be what to do with all the people after North Korea was defeated.

large image.
let the fear mongering begin. lol.

The US wants nothing to do with this. It does not benefit them in anyway (ie: resources). Could you imagine if Iran or Syria were making these threats. BOOM, full scale invasion.

Culture_Vulture 03-08-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Dev (Post 8179453)
large image.
let the fear mongering begin. lol.

The US wants nothing to do with this. It does not benefit them in anyway (ie: resources). Could you imagine if Iran or Syria were making these threats. BOOM, full scale invasion.

I'm not sure the U.S. wants nothing to do with this.
Both North and South Korea are of larger strategic importance to the United States than most people give credit to. Not sure they will intervene, but they definitely have more than a few things at stake.

rsx 03-08-2013 02:37 AM

Take it with a grain of salt.
How to Prepare for a North Korean Invasion | VICE United States

Culture_Vulture 03-08-2013 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestsoup (Post 8179398)
Democracy is a word governments throw around. The DPRK is definitely not democratic like it's name suggests.

Democratic theory/practices may not be perfect, but at least South Korea has a system of representation closer to what common notions of 'democracy' is. In which case, I don't think it's fair to claim Park's presidency is strictly 'inherited'.

Not sure what to make of India without it sounding like an excuse to patch up how short its supposed democratic practices fall (and because I'm no expert at the subject), except maybe that India's experienced a far longer period of very deep-rooted aristocracy and social arrangements based strictly on classism than western democracy.

FerrariEnzo 03-08-2013 04:18 AM