REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681604-myers-briggs-type-indicator.html)

hotshot1 03-12-2013 06:44 AM

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8181129)
typical INTP. "the absent minded professor"

Ulic's comment got me to thinking about this. Has anyone here taken this test before?

From Wiki: The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment is a psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions.

There are a ton of websites where you can read about your type so just Google it. Here are the tests:

Short version: Myers Briggs Test | MBTI Personality Types

Long version (72 questions): Personality test based on C. Jung and I. Briggs Myers type theory

I did this test a few years ago and got the same results again from both websites. I'm definitely an INTJ. Reading about it confirms that, sometimes word for word.

Brianrietta 03-12-2013 02:35 PM

I've been forced to take the test a few times in person before and I've taken various online tests of it and I consistently get strong INT with the last letter split to 80% of the time J and 20% of the time P results, which admittedly describes my personal preferences. I don't however put a lot of faith into the practical usefulness of the test. Many people will get completely different results as most people's daily mood and attitudes over time can change the final assessment and then many examiners (in the workplace for example) tend to draw inaccurate conclusions from what is basically pseudoscience. I find that the best use for the MBTI's is to start a conversation about the differences in just how people percieve the world and interact with others, helping people to understand why others may choose to do something that they wouldn't normally consider. Or maybe that's only applicable to INT's like me who boggle at stupid things that we consider other people to do... Who knows.

rien 03-12-2013 03:38 PM

INTJ or INTP

I applied for an organizing committee which asked all applicants to take the personality test. I found out later that I was the only 1 out of ~60 who submitted "I"(introvert) while everyone else submitted nearly the same result - possibly because they answered questions the way they *thought* they should answer them. The team was NOT full of bubbly extroverts.

bloodmack 03-12-2013 04:41 PM

I got ISTP

duy- 03-12-2013 05:21 PM

i unwittingly did this test again not realizing ive done it before

got ENTJ a year ago
just got INFJ, not sure if test is inaccurate or my ability to answer properly

Sid Vicious 03-12-2013 05:27 PM

buncha bro science

murd0c 03-12-2013 05:35 PM

I'm ESFP with what ever that means lol

RRxtar 03-12-2013 07:21 PM

sometimes ISTJ, sometimes ESTJ.
Always very strongly TJ.

I or E can go either way depending on the way the questions are asked which is funny because that one should be fairly black or white. I always seek to be out doing extrovert things. But I am very comfortable doing introvert things

S or N are always pretty well right down the middle regardless almost to the point where I think certain aspects fit better on on the other side than the one they are on.

for example from the first link:

Sensing Characteristics
Mentally live in the Now, attending to present opportunities
Using common sense and creating practical solutions is automatic-instinctual
Memory recall is rich in detail of facts and past events
Best improvise from past experience
Like clear and concrete information; dislike guessing when facts are "fuzzy"

Intuitive Characteristics
Mentally live in the Future, attending to future possibilities
Using imagination and creating/inventing new possibilities is automatic-instinctual
Memory recall emphasizes patterns, contexts, and connections
Best improvise from theoretical understanding
Comfortable with ambiguous, fuzzy data and with guessing its meaning.

Jegz 03-12-2013 09:05 PM

INTJ for me. The analysis sums me up just right although some questions are very black and white.

Gilgamesh 03-12-2013 10:38 PM

INTP

o and categories dont matter since you can bounce back and forth.
@ the guy who had 2 diff scores: You may be moderate, as in numbers close to 0, which happens to a lot of people.

SB7 03-12-2013 11:07 PM

ENFP/INFP here...

Took the test several years ago and I take it every once in a while just to see if anything is different. I've gotten ENFP about 75% of the time and INFP 25%

Pretty interesting to get your friends to do the test as well and see where they fit into the 16 types.

Drow 03-12-2013 11:23 PM

ENFP

agree with 80% of it

one quote struck me hard though: the world is never as it is, but as it could be

hotshot1 03-13-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianrietta (Post 8183010)
I've been forced to take the test a few times in person before and I've taken various online tests of it and I consistently get strong INT with the last letter split to 80% of the time J and 20% of the time P results, which admittedly describes my personal preferences. I don't however put a lot of faith into the practical usefulness of the test. Many people will get completely different results as most people's daily mood and attitudes over time can change the final assessment and then many examiners (in the workplace for example) tend to draw inaccurate conclusions from what is basically pseudoscience. I find that the best use for the MBTI's is to start a conversation about the differences in just how people percieve the world and interact with others, helping people to understand why others may choose to do something that they wouldn't normally consider. Or maybe that's only applicable to INT's like me who boggle at stupid things that we consider other people to do... Who knows.

Something interesting mentioned on the website is:

In reviewing the comparisons in our inventory, you may find yourself drawn equally to opposing personality preference choices. In such cases I suggest you try to think back to how you were before the age of 12 or even younger if you can recall. The rationale for this suggestion is the fact that by the time we are 3 years old, the core of our cognitive organization is well-fixed. . . although the brain continues to allow some plasticity until puberty.

So according to this, your core personality type is pretty much established when you're young. But I agree, the practical usefulness is a bit iffy; apparently the MBTI is looked down upon amongst psychologists, so maybe it really is pseudoscience. But when I read the descriptions for myself, it was pretty accurate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rien (Post 8183063)
INTJ or INTP

I applied for an organizing committee which asked all applicants to take the personality test. I found out later that I was the only 1 out of ~60 who submitted "I"(introvert) while everyone else submitted nearly the same result - possibly because they answered questions the way they *thought* they should answer them. The team was NOT full of bubbly extroverts.

People probably answer the questions based on what they want rather than what they are like.

Sooo 4 people here are INTJs, which is supposed to be rare, about 1 to 4% of the population. Maybe INTJs are more likely to find these things interesting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8183149)
I'm ESFP with what ever that means lol

You're completely the opposite of me. This is a description from a website:

As an ESFP, your primary mode of living is focused externally, where you take things in via your five senses in a literal, concrete fashion. Your secondary mode is internal, where you deal with things according to how you feel about them, or how they fit with your personal value system.

ESFPs live in the world of people possibilties. They love people and new experiences. They are lively and fun, and enjoy being the center of attention. They live in the here-and-now, and relish excitement and drama in their lives.

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-13-2013 11:09 AM

I'm an ENFJ.

fuck the tests...

tests are highly inaccurate and based on mood and how you want to read the question.

tests are a good "intro" just to get your foot in if you have no idea what else to do, but i wouldn't trust it at all.... highly inaccurate way to type yourself. questions are too subjective.

been studying the MBTI for the past 2.5 years... it's very interesting. and highly useful if you can type people accurately. you understand how they take in information.

the most important thing about the MBTI are the FUNCTIONS.

you cannot be one or another.... if you understand how the functions work, switching one letter out makes you completely different. you CANNOT be two different types.

for example. I'm an ENFJ.
my functions in order are:
Feeling Extroversion (Fe)
Intuition Introversion (Ni)
Sensing Extroversion (Se)
Thinking Introversion (Ti)

If i switch any letter from ENFJ... all my functions become different.
say i switch one letter out and i'm an INFJ
my functions would now be:
Ni
Fe
Ti
Se

If i switch it to ENTJ:
Te
Ni
Se
Fi

If i were an ENFP:
Ne
Fi
Te
Si

so on so forth.

newbs have to understand this. it's VERY important.

If you're sure on 3 letters... and you're not sure on the last... look at (and understand) the sub functions.

once u know how sub functions work... you can identify which sub function you use. and easily identify which type you are.

the younger you are, the harder it is to type as well.

i find people answer tests to what they WANT to be. not what they really are.

chances are you are not a N. since only 20% or less of the population are N.

most people are sensors.

another thing for "doubters". most doubters typically say ... 16 types only? there are more than 16 types of people on the planet... you cant categorize them all into 16 types.

... they dont understand what the MBTI is at all...

the MBTI is about how you TAKE IN and PROCESS information.

two people of the same MBTI type could be radically different people based on values and how they were raised and their knowledge.

I find people misuse the MBTI too much. they type too quickly and judge too quickly and then base everything on the wrong type. psychologists that throw the MBTI out are the ones that don't know much about it or how to utilize it. you really have to understand it, to use it. it's not just some tool you can quickly type someone and then refer to a text book on how they operate. there's a shit ton of other factors outside the MBTI that affect how a person operates.

once again i must emphasize... you cannot be borderline another type. you are only ONE type.

if you really want to understand it, you can also read the original documents by carl jung himself.
granted... it's a hard academic level of reading (and very dry).

i emphasize... you must know the person very well (and know the MBTI intimately) to judge which type they are.
when i started out i typed everyone based on test and my own judgement... years later, after really really understanding the MBTI... i realised i was so wrong on so many people.
we too often judge too quickly based on a handful of small things... which is a highly inaccurate way to judge.

another way, is, when you have confirmed a few types, and you compare yourself with those types... you suddenly realise, you're totally not like them (or whoever you're comparing).
when two people of the same type talk about the same subjects... you'll see that they take on the problem/question in a very very similar way.

l2_narain 03-13-2013 11:21 AM

INTJ
Introvert(22%) iNtuitive(62%) Thinking(38%) Judging(78%)

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-13-2013 11:57 AM

I did this little write up a few years ago... it might help with identifying the primary letters

I/E:
-I's can be outgoing (bar stars)
-E's can be shy (can't even look at a girl in the eye)
-look at their interests and hobbies... what they gravitate towards in their spare time.

-whether purpose of being outgoing is just because they're friendly, or they really thrive on social interaction, always wanting to take social interaction to the NEXT level.
-outgoing I's will be at their limits of social interests and capacity, but E's are just getting started.
-I's lose interest if there aren't things maintaining their interest.
-E's DRIVEN from within/inside to socialize, some E's can talk to walls.

S/N:
-first few moments, see if they focus on physical environment or intangibles.
-S's look at the world in terms of physical detail and proven facts and results.
-S's lack dreaminess and abstract thinking, always needing concrete examples.
-S's direct and detailed oriented. Have trouble engaging and participating in abstract discussion.
-N's more abstract, philosophical. Not needing examples or "proof" to lead to the next step
-N's tend to connect one picture to another, without any logical or explainable process.
-N's tend to be worse at noticing and/or remembering details to do with the senses... smells, tastes, looks.

F/T:
-see how detached the person is, whether engaged with other people or their feelings when they talk about things.
-T's more likely to change stance as soon as logic dictates it. F's have a harder time changing their stance even after facts have been stated, they tend to be more biased.

J/P:
-J's very abrupt, strict, like to lock things down.
-J's kind of inflexible
-J: See if their mind is always trying to make decisions, get decisions done, and move onto the next thing without hanging around due to curiosity.
-J's don't like to backtrack on decisions
-P's find J's almost mechanical
-P's are flexible, don't need ridged schedule or to lock things down.
-P's are wishy washy, unwilling or unable to choose and settle for optimal path, afraid of committing.

NT = the rationals
NF = the idealists
SF = the supporters
ST = the doers

that's all i have for now. lol hope you guys learnt something. can't become an expert overnight on this. you really have to learn about this shit and apply it to get good at it.

hotshot1 03-13-2013 12:33 PM

^^ Just curious, why did you pair these and leave out the E/I and J/P?
Quote:

NT = the rationals
NF = the idealists
SF = the supporters
ST = the doers

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-13-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotshot1 (Post 8183812)
^^ Just curious, why did you pair these and leave out the E/I and J/P?

I think the two middle letters primarily dictate what type of person you are, and how you think.

what would an EP be? or IJ? lol... i wouldn't know how to categorize the first and last letters...

when two people recognize each other as similar, or get along, it's to do with the two middle letters... that's what i find anyway.

for example if you have a buncha friends that always have their heads in the clouds, they're probably NF, regardless of the first and last letters... hence the "idealist/dreamers" and so on so forth.

albert einstien and his buddies sitting around discussing theories in physics, you can be sure they're almost all NT's.

people like gandhi, jesus, and mother teresa are most probably NF due to their compassion on a global scale (NF principle is, the people come first).. oh almost all famous poets and writers... guys like Shakespeare, edgar allan poe etc... are also NF.

pro sports and Olympians are most probably ST/SF types... ppl that are crazy excellent at hand eye coordination type stuff.

i find extroversion/introversion, and judging/perceiving are more of a preference in how they go about doing things. but the two middle letters come first in their overall character.

more examples would be like
NT's make great strategists... mega corp CEO's and generals.
ST's make great tacticians... sales men are almost all ST's.

in a super corporate or military structure things would be:
NT's would be the top, the grand picture, they know how to get to where the organization needs to go.
NF's would be advisers, throwing out fantastical ideas to try, and the glue that makes sure everyone gets along smoothly/happy.
ST's would be his lieutenant/senior management, they would get shit done, they will make sure everyone below them gets shit done, they are the guys with the whips.
SF's would be the backbone/pillars of the organization. they do most of the work and send feed back up the chain of command. they are the eyes and ears. they are the front line.

of course this is an ideal/stereotyped organization. in reality you have types everywhere. but if you take statistics... most leaders are NT/NF's just due to the nature of how they take in and process information (NT's also make the most money). everyone has a comfort zone in where and how they like to operate. it's just natural that things fall this way due to the nature of how the types function and what they thrive on.

skyxx 03-13-2013 01:03 PM

ENTP or ENFP

Somewhere in between.

unit 03-13-2013 01:15 PM

i did it before and got entp

kcl38 03-13-2013 01:36 PM

ISFJ, which is pretty consistent with what I'm like

meowjinboo 03-15-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l2_narain (Post 8183767)
INTJ
Introvert(22%) iNtuitive(62%) Thinking(38%) Judging(78%)

just for the record guys. If you are this, you are probably not.

about 1% of the population is this personality type.

minoru_tanaka 03-15-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 8183754)
I'm an ENFJ.

fuck the tests...

tests are highly inaccurate and based on mood and how you want to read the question.

tests are a good "intro" just to get your foot in if you have no idea what else to do, but i wouldn't trust it at all.... highly inaccurate way to type yourself. questions are too subjective.

been studying the MBTI for the past 2.5 years... it's very interesting. and highly useful if you can type people accurately. you understand how they take in information.

About 15 years ago I was really into this. ENTP here. Join an ENTP forum and I was banned the first day. Argued my way back in after a couple of days. One thing I remember we did was retaking the test to get different profiles. Apparently ENTP were the most capable of this and likely the only ones that would care to try.

But anyways I think cause we were label trolls we just tended to act like trolls and I think that's what taking this test will do to someone, they maybe inclined to act out their type more.

svelt 03-15-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8185317)
just for the record guys. If you are this, you are probably not.

about 1% of the population is this personality type.

Or this personality type is somehow attracted to RS

Ulic Qel-Droma 03-15-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka (Post 8185439)
About 15 years ago I was really into this. ENTP here. Join an ENTP forum and I was banned the first day. Argued my way back in after a couple of days. One thing I remember we did was retaking the test to get different profiles. Apparently ENTP were the most capable of this and likely the only ones that would care to try.

But anyways I think cause we were label trolls we just tended to act like trolls and I think that's what taking this test will do to someone, they maybe inclined to act out their type more.

lol, no person with the right mind would ban one of their own kind. haha...

Quote:

Originally Posted by svelt (Post 8185507)
Or this personality type is somehow attracted to RS

yeah, that is a possibility one must consider... but, let's just say i would be very surprised if this were true, they'd probably all be lurkers, only stepping out of the shadows when they have something critical to say.