REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,339 Times in 969 Posts
school me about San Fran

So in May gf and I are driving to San Fan, going to do a 7 day trip. I drove to vegas eons ago (back when gas was 39.9 ahahhaahah).

any ideas? Yes, we'll for sure have fish and chips at the pier but what else? i'm thinking of taking our dog and maybe strap our bikes on the back to do ride down there.

thx
Advertisement
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
I STILL don't get it

visiting alcatraz is an option and it's pretty neat if you go on one of the first boat rides there (less people and it's noon when you're done/back on the pier just in time for some fish and chips!

not sure how the dog would be included in that though...

walking across the golden gate? cliche pics to be taken before you get there (iirc a souvenir shop just before) and that first big speed limit sign during the first bend getting on the bridge. have fun!
entrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

it gets very cold at night with the wind coming off the water.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Golden gate is really windy. The pier is a nice place to check out shops.
There's this mountain point that overlooks the city. Really windy up there.
Walking isn't really suggested, the hills are crazy. Take the cable cars around, they're pretty fun
Chinatown is big and has a lot of shops.
Posted via RS Mobile
!e.lo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Not a mod

Be careful which bars you go too. If your getting more attention from other guys than your gf is, you might wanna try a different place.
Posted via RS Mobile
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Must go to restaurant
Pier 23 Café : San Francisco, CA
Go on a nice day, get a patio seat, order the fish taco & the crab if you have money.
Enjoy the deliciousness with a cold beer.
(Be warned, I had to wait 1 solid hour for a seat mid day... line up was out the door)

Official San Francisco CityPASS® | 5 San Francisco Attractions for $69
Great if you like to site see, it packages a lot of the main attractions and discounts them.
It saved me a lot of money on transportation on my trip there! Unlimited public transit for 7 days. (Since your driving that might not be of much use to you..)

Chairman Bao Truck, Civic Center - San Francisco, CA 94109 - (415) 813-8800
Food truck rocks! They are fairly small portions, I split 4 of them with my ex but it was well worth it! (pretty solid food, just sat around randomly eating it haha)
The Chairman - SOMA - San Francisco | Urbanspoon
Look it got 100% on UBspoon?! never seen that before lol..

Inside the city its fairly windy but not to bad.. once you hit the pier side it can get pretty cold. I would recommend bringing a sweater or light jacket in case.

Btw fun fact: be prepared to be butt raped in hotel costs.. apparently they have one of the highest hotel prices in NA.

edit: Forgot to mention, DONT go to this place
http://www.sanfrancisco.travel/partn...&c=y&showMain=
http://yanksing.com/locations/stevenson.html
Yank Sing: apparently #1 dim sum place in SF
Holy shit did I get my balls ripped off here.. ordered 3-4 dishes and I paid around $30 bucks..
The food was small portioned and sucked compared to the dim sum restaurants here.. (quality was on par with the $3 dim sum places here)

Last edited by MelonBoy; 03-18-2013 at 02:38 AM.
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
If you're going to San Francisco
be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #8
retired

I definitely recommend Alcatraz. It was really exciting there, and well worth it. Fishermans wharf is nice to spend lunch/afternoon at.

If your into it, the Asian Art Gallery is pretty exciting as well. Japantown is nice to spend a night at.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,339 Times in 969 Posts
trust me, i know san fran is epic expensive, i know parking was a bitch but we're planning ot bring our bikes so we can get around easier... we are going to bring our dog.

i lke the public transit free pass idea.. jut hop on hop off.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Also they don't like when people call it "Frisco" or "San Fran" so avoid that when you're actually there.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
trust me, i know san fran is epic expensive, i know parking was a bitch but we're planning ot bring our bikes so we can get around easier... we are going to bring our dog.

i lke the public transit free pass idea.. jut hop on hop off.
You might be better off walking considering all the hills.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I was just in San Francisco 2 weeks ago. My work sent me for a training course, so I only had a couple evenings and Saturday for doing touristy stuff. Luckily my wife got to tag along and she got a free vacation out of it.

Because of the hills, Biking would be a total bitch anywhere around downtown. The hills there are steeper than most anything in Vancouver. Think Oak St. north of Broadway EVERYWHERE. The only place I think a bike would be practical is on the Embarcadero and north perimeter along the beach (Marina Bvld, Mason St etc).

We like to walk, and we pretty much walked everywhere while we were there. We were also lucky with some absolutely stunning weather, Sun and 18-20degrees.

The first night we went to House of Prime Rib. It's not really worth the hype it got on this forum in an earlier thread. It kind of reminds me of Olive Garden, where they smother you in quantity not quality.

The second night we took a walk from Union Square (where we were staying) to the Coit Tower, walked back through North Beach (Neat little Italian area) and had some awesome Neapolitan pizza.

Night 3 we didn't do much sight seeing, tried to go to the Tonga room with some other classmates but it was closed for private function. Ended up having drinks in The Fairmont lounge instead(TheOriginal Fairmont).

Night 4 after the course was finished we walked to the Ferry Building, than down the Embarcadero to Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf.
Pier 39 is just a big tourist trap, we walked through and left. We stopped at a Restaurant in Fisherman's wharf (I think it's called Lou's) for a few drinks. They had a good blues band playing live. We walked home along Hyde street, stopped at a wine bar for some dessert and a few more drinks.

Day 5 was a beautiful sunny hot Saturday. Started the day off by watching the huge St. Patrick's day parade on Market street. Then walked to the cable car museum, than the curvy section of Lombard, and up that, than from there to Fort Mason Park, then along the beach all the way to half way across the Golden Gate Bridge. Then back along Union St. which seemed to be where all the St. Patrick's day pub crawlers were. There were so...many...drunk people EVERYWHERE, and this was like 3:00 in the afternoon! We walked back through Pacific Heights, fancy houses. (20km of walking that day)

That night we went to Harry Denton's Starlight room which is an upscale club on the 21st floor of the Sir Francis Drake Hotel. I'm not much for nightclubs anymore but this place was cool & classy.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Check out this museum at Pier 45. I thought it was pretty interesting.
Musee Mecanique - Profile of Musee Mecanique in San Francisco
I highly recommend Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. You will have to take a ferry from the pier to Vallejo. It was the highlight of our trip. They have the craziest roller coasters. It is also a mini zoo and there is also a water park right beside it.