REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Small business owner (salary/dividend)

I know there are some working in the accounting field on here.
I'm familiar with the procedures with paying a salary, however cloudy in terms of dividends.

How does a small business declare dividend to its owner?
just write a cheque? I believe there is T5's to issue out

also if there are 2 shareholders, how do you just pay one of them?

any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
How to Pay Yourself - Corporation - Wizebiz | Wizebiz

If you issue 2 different classes of shares between the two of you, you can issue dividends on only one of those shares and thus only pay one person
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
above says it all

you will need a and b shares - same vote, but you can pay out as you like - but get a shareholder's agreement.

div are better than salary, no EI and CPP - although, no RRSP and no earned income (of sorts - i'm not sure how mortgage ppl see this, whether they disregard dividends as 'investment income' or whether they realize it's earned... but that's a different story)

i personally don't like RRSP's as investment vehicles, max ur TFSA's, first always, forget RRSP, enjoy getting more at the end of the day
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Me and my business partner pay ourselves in dividends. Especially in our first year because we were just withdrawing from our loan accounts so we did not pay any personal taxes.

I just met with my bank lady and she said that if we are paying ourselves in dividends and granted we did not show any income, when it comes to mortgages they take this all into account.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: