REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Business Expense and Income Tax

before anyone bites my head off, this is complete foreign language to me as i do not understand anything related to business expenses and income tax. i just know how to file my own income tax which is fairly basic and simple.

my wife went to her accountant to do her income taxes this year and it made me go so i need a second opinion.

basically her accountant has listed some expenses since she works from home. it all sounded fine until my wife told me that the accountant said she can't list her computer as an expense because I had paid for it and given it to her as a gift. now the question is, all the expenses the accountant has listed is paid by me in full (electricity, cellphone, rent, and internet). if the CRA was to do an audit on my wife for whatever reason and asked for proof of these expenses, would she be hooped? i am leaning towards the logic of, well if its an expense, that means it should have been paid by my wife (whether in full or a portion of it for business)? or am i just being paranoid and everything the accountant did was fine?
Advertisement

Last edited by SoNaRWaVe; 03-16-2013 at 02:44 AM.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
first of all, you can't claim your ENTIRE RENT because it's you home and you use it maybe 10% of it as work so you can only claim 10% of it.

get an accountant and they shall explain it to you better. you can't buy a car lke a lambo and write that off either etc.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #3

That's the thing. It was done BY an accountant. And under the business form, the full amount was used. Not sure if there's a 10% calculation built into that form. But that's not the main question. The main question is if she will be screwed over if CRA required proof of all those expenses since they are paid under my name.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
upon audit, cra may require you to prove how you got that number (expenses), a simple receipt would do normally.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

even if those receipts are under my name, and not hers?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
First instinct tells me that it gets more complicated... because if the expenses were paid for by you, then thats money that came from your income, not hers.

Double-check with your accountant for your concerns

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
RS.net Licensed Sponsor Dealer

with CRA you can never play dumb. just because your accountant filled it out doesn't mean it's their responsibility. you signed it and CRA will go after you. all accountants sign a release form basically releasing them from any prosecution. tell your accountant and don't claim the whole amount of the bills.
Autorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
2 Wheelin' Mod

u are supposed to claim a percentage of your rent usually based off of the square footage that she uses for her business.
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Since you are married, you can have a joint utility bill. Taxes for married / common law are prepared on a "family unit" basis, with the goal being to reduce the tax burden on the family not the individual.

Computer, if you have a receipt, give it to the accountant and claim it as a business expense for the % of business use. Does not matter that it was bought on the Mr.'s visa but the Mrs. uses it for her wedding planning biz.

source: I am an accountant that prepares taxes

edit: full amounts are entered into the program and there is a field that asks "personal use portion" - make sure the accountant enters the correct portion. I've seen people enter 10% as the personal use when it should've be 10% business , 90% personal. Clerical error but it will screw you over big time.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #10

i thank you sir, that answers my question nice and clearly. does it make things easier if we switched things to her name ?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
i thank you sir, that answers my question nice and clearly. does it make things easier if we switched things to her name ?
nope.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote