REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Caught some punk trying to break into neighbors car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/681823-caught-some-punk-trying-break-into-neighbors-car.html)

a00755836 03-18-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 8187619)
What do you do if you have a convertible?

my friends s2000 was parked in downtown and someone stabbed a hole. icbc said they have to replace the whole roof. now my friend says if you want a convertible, get a hard top.

bcrdukes 03-18-2013 08:47 PM

Personal experience only:

If you ever own a convertible in Vancouver, always get a hard top, no matter what.

(Experience includes owning 3 convertibles.)

Raid3n 03-18-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 8187700)
For me, it's not just limited to car thieves...
I imagine a lot of fake scenarios and "what-would-I-do" throughout the day.
from getting my phone jacked out of my hands,
car that's about to hit me while im crossing the street, etc

quite messed, but keeps my mind busy during my work commutes...

I was surprised when I saw "Vancouver" location as well. But then something didn't look right, but I couldn't put my thumb on it.

Then I realized, it's because Vancouver houses doesn't have those front lane drive in garages.

don't you think... oh i don't know... maybe you should be watching the road? that's what i do to keep my self busy on my commute to work... that might just be me though, the way some people drive..

Fafine 03-18-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 8188362)
don't you think... oh i don't know... maybe you should be watching the road? that's what i do to keep my self busy on my commute to work... that might just be me though, the way some people drive..

i think he means his commute on the bus to work

MindBomber 03-18-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8187256)
More likely, yes

:fuckthatshit:

*cough*

Theft From Vehicle Reports

Surrey
Total 2012: 7040
Total 2011: 6642

Vancouver
Total 2012: 8179
Total 2011: 7509

Difference
2012: Vancouver + 1139
2011: Vancouver + 867

AzNightmare 03-18-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 8188362)

lol, I bus and skytrain and cross streets to get to work.
And the skytrain is boring... so my mind wanders.
Sometimes I see shady looking people, so I just make up random scenarios like:
WHAT IF that guy really tries to jack my phone out of my hand when the skytrain stops at a station...

:pokerface:

:lawl:

RHMadness 03-19-2013 12:05 AM

OM Sh*t!! those are the clowns that broke into my truck and 3 other cars on my block in North Delta.. You shoulda beat the hell out of them..

THORISHERE 03-19-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8188380)
*cough*

Surrey

Vancouver

Difference

I wonder where all those thieves come from? :fullofwin:

jpark 03-19-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a00755836 (Post 8187904)
my friends s2000 was parked in downtown and someone stabbed a hole. icbc said they have to replace the whole roof. now my friend says if you want a convertible, get a hard top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8188179)
Personal experience only:

If you ever own a convertible in Vancouver, always get a hard top, no matter what.

(Experience includes owning 3 convertibles.)

hasnt happened to me yet and i used to park in dt every single day for work last year summer.. knock on wood

van_city23 03-19-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHMadness (Post 8188406)
OM Sh*t!! those are the clowns that broke into my truck and 3 other cars on my block in North Delta.. You shoulda beat the hell out of them..

What area of north delta is this in?

geeknerd 03-19-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8188380)
*cough*

Surrey

Vancouver

Difference

also, for 2011, ratio =
Surrey: 1 car per 72 people
vancouver: 1car per 80 people

Culture_Vulture 03-19-2013 02:46 AM

I was mugged in pretty much plain sight in Surrey, in (what I considered to be) a relatively safe neighborhood, and it wasn't even dark out quite yet.

I grew up in Surrey, spent a few years living in Burnaby, and moved back in with the folks last year, and I've noticed a substantive increase in dipshits running around like they own the place.

Time to move the fuck out again.

Culture_Vulture 03-19-2013 02:49 AM

Also, your neighbor is an idiot.

Mr.Money 03-19-2013 05:18 AM

you should have smashed him.

Acura604 03-19-2013 08:39 AM

In hindsight, yah...I should have started filming a vid and sneak up on him for a close up of his face and then post it on YouTube.

...I have occasional anger mgmt issues and would have loved to take it out on this guy but with the gay laws, I probably would have been charged with assault.

Not really racist! 03-19-2013 10:40 AM

^ not worth fucking a punk up and get charged

Tapioca 03-19-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture (Post 8188468)
I was mugged in pretty much plain sight in Surrey, in (what I considered to be) a relatively safe neighborhood, and it wasn't even dark out quite yet.

I grew up in Surrey, spent a few years living in Burnaby, and moved back in with the folks last year, and I've noticed a substantive increase in dipshits running around like they own the place.

Time to move the fuck out again.

All the "lower class" people have moved east of the Fraser because anything west of the Fraser is too expensive. I grew up in East Van and there were definitely some rougher houses and kids, even up until the late 80s. My neighbourhood is now pretty clean and houses are being torn down for new ones everywhere.

Everyone rags on Surrey and people living in Surrey get offended. The fact of the matter is is that it's cheaper to live out there. In fact, there is really no compelling reason to live out there other than the fact that you get more house for your buck (well, and I guess for a small portion of people and RS: massive garages and space to store all of their toys such as parts cars, boats, RVs, etc.)

Well, of course people hate on Vancouver because of its hippie mayor, but near burbs such as Burnaby suffer none of the politics. Yet, your average couple making 100-130K a year still can't afford a house in Burnaby, so they're forced to go east of the Fraser.
Posted via RS Mobile

Culture_Vulture 03-19-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 8188646)
All the "lower class" people have moved east of the Fraser because anything west of the Fraser is too expensive. I grew up in East Van and there were definitely some rougher houses and kids, even up until the late 80s. My neighbourhood is now pretty clean and houses are being torn down for new ones everywhere.

Everyone rags on Surrey and people living in Surrey get offended. The fact of the matter is is that it's cheaper to live out there. In fact, there is really no compelling reason to live out there other than the fact that you get more house for your buck (well, and I guess for a small portion of people and RS: massive garages and space to store all of their toys such as parts cars, boats, RVs, etc.)

Well, of course people hate on Vancouver because of its hippie mayor, but near burbs such as Burnaby suffer none of the politics. Yet, your average couple making 100-130K a year still can't afford a house in Burnaby, so they're forced to go east of the Fraser.
Posted via RS Mobile

being on the lower end of an income bracket alone does not substantiate more thievery, more vandalizing, and more general douchebaggery

sure, it plays into how well your kids are being raised, but unless you consider Surrey a ghetto in the true sense of the word, then there is no excuse for the type of cowardly crime it experiences

parm104 03-19-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture (Post 8188963)
being on the lower end of an income bracket alone does not substantiate more thievery, more vandalizing, and more general douchebaggery

sure, it plays into how well your kids are being raised, but unless you consider Surrey a ghetto in the true sense of the word, then there is no excuse for the type of cowardly crime it experiences

Have any of you guys seen the data and compared the crime rates in Surrey amongst other cities such as Vancouver and Burnaby? How do they compare? Last I checked, Vancouver's total annual crimes were higher in almost every category. Curious to see what they are now, whether that still holds over today...

?uestlove 03-19-2013 08:06 PM

i LOVE surrey hoes, so easy you could fuck 4 of them at the same time and get one to lick your ass

well not "love", but you know what i mean

bcrdukes 03-19-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ?uestlove (Post 8189176)
i LOVE surrey hoes, so easy you could fuck 4 of them at the same time and get one to lick your ass

well not "love", but you know what i mean

Post of the year.

A++++++ 5-star rating.

Tapioca 03-20-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture (Post 8188963)

There have been studies done which show that those who have lower levels of literacy are more prone to commit crimes as they grow older. Do all people who are illiterate come from poor families? Of course not, but the majority of them do which means that generally, you can associate lower incomes with a higher crime rates.

As long as we have mobility rights in Canada, criminals will go to where they can get the best score. Vancouver is where most of the wealthy people live so naturally, criminals will go there to commit property theft.
Posted via RS Mobile

Everymans 03-20-2013 08:26 PM

Vancouver is also the central district. I wouldn't be surprised if more then half of all the crime in vancouver happens in the lower east end. I have had my car broken into twice though, both times it was because my door was open or I left shiney stuff out in the open... durped.

m4k4v4li 03-21-2013 11:15 AM

I'm sure the DTES significantly skews the stats.

There's just more ratchets by choice in Surrey. Its not ratchet by condition. Its a lifestyle. Better safe then Surrey.