REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Zeo
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Hi new to the forum and bought a car with rolled back odometer...

Hey guys,

Long time lurker of the forum, just never needed to make an account or post until recently.

As you can tell from the title, I bought my first car a couple days ago. It is a 2000 accord 4 cylinder EX with 145,000km for $3350.

Now I learned a huge expensive life lesson. I got scammed because of my carelessness and stupidity. I failed to inspect the car properly. The digital odometer has been tampered with. Last airecare reading was in 02/12 at 256,000km...

Any ideas on what I can do? I'm pretty sure I have no chance to get the money back from the seller.

What about the car? Should i go to a dealership and get the "150 point" inspection?

Thanks
Advertisement
Zeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
you already got the car, why do you want teh 150 point inspection? + the dealership overcharges for that kind of stuff (e.g. checking if you have wipers count as a point)

Is it a private or 2nd hand dealer?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
wait... did anything go wrong or are you just anticipating something to go wrong cuz of the high km?
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
Old School RS

Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,225 Posts
If you bought it from a dealership, you can get all your money back as long as they didn't declare it. No question. If this is the case, post so, and I will walk you through the steps to make a complaint with the VSA. If you bought it privately, you are 95% SOL.

Mark
Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I'd still confront the seller whether it's private or not. That's BS. They lied to you.
pingu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
Zeo
RS Lurker, I don't post!

It is a private dealer.

I feel like I should get some of full inspection because i dont know how safe the car is or if it is even worth keeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu81 View Post
I'd still confront the seller whether it's private or not. That's BS. They lied to you.
I still have his phone number, email, and address. But I don't think confronting him will do anything.

Last edited by Zeo; 03-19-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #7

What do you mean private dealer? did you either A. Buy it from a guy (e.g. craiglist) or from a dealer (888 Auto, Vancouver Honda)

At least you got a honda, so parts are easy to find and they are still 'reliable'. Keep the car and just try to do the basic maintenance on it to keep it running. Did you at least do a visual inspection to locate the condition of the brake pads/timing belt/fluid levels etc.??
Old 03-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,537 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeo View Post
It is a private dealer.

I feel like I should get some of full inspection because i dont know how safe the car is or if it is even worth keeping
Posted via RS Mobile
You should have done all this in the first place. I would attempt to get my money back from the dealer. If the odometer has been rolled back, who knows what has (or has not) been done to the car in terms of maintenance.
Posted via RS Mobile
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu81 View Post
+1, if you have the e-mail's or ad with his postings that I think you could have a chance at small-claims
Old 03-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
I'd tell them to give me my money back before I call the cops.
Consumer Protection - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Then I'd call the cops on them anyways.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
Zeo
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Sorry guys, i meant private deal. so a guy from craigslist.

My engine check light came on and i got it fixed up. It was the EGR valve. I'm guessing this is going to the the first of many problems to come haha. According to the mechanic, the timing belt will last me two more years.

I'm not very familiar with claims or laws, but how would I do it? Would i need to get a lawyer, if I do, not sure if it seems worth it.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

That sucks. If you have enough evidence, take his ass to small claims! But Goodluck eh
Posted via RS Mobile
beproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeo View Post
Sorry guys, i meant private deal. so a guy from craigslist.

My engine check light came on and i got it fixed up. It was the EGR valve. I'm guessing this is going to the the first of many problems to come haha. According to the mechanic, the timing belt will last me two more years.

I'm not very familiar with claims or laws, but how would I do it? Would i need to get a lawyer, if I do, not sure if it seems worth it.
On the transfer papers the seller signed he is supposed to declare if the odometer has been replaced and estimated mileage if done so. If you still have that piece of paper it may be your ticket to get your money back. On the brightside, this is something you CAN take to small claims court as the limit for such law suits is 10k I believe and you are well under.

Also, take a look here Welcome: Legal aid BC

Good luck
fatty2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #14
Zeo
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatty2.0 View Post
On the transfer papers the seller signed he is supposed to declare if the odometer has been replaced and estimated mileage if done so. If you still have that piece of paper it may be your ticket to get your money back. On the brightside, this is something you CAN take to small claims court as the limit for such law suits is 10k I believe and you are well under.

Also, take a look here Welcome: Legal aid BC

Good luck
Thanks I still do have the receipt. I will try to look into small claims. Not very familiar with the process. Does LSS provide free legal advice? it looks like it ight be a sliding scale or something?

Last edited by Zeo; 03-23-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: add more information
Old 03-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I haven't used their services, but a few years ago I bought a car from a dealer that had a bad head gasket, there was a number in the Blue Pages where you can call can make an appointment with a lawyer for like $20 and they give you a bit of legal advice. I don't know what that is anymore, a quick google search provided me with this: Dial-A-Law

Also, for further FREE legal advice, you can meet with a UBC Law student here: Law Students' Legal Advice Program

From their website :
"LSLAP assists low-income earners with various legal issues, including:

Criminal;
Small Claims; "

IMHO, for something like this I think LSLAP should suffice. Once again, good luck!

Last edited by fatty2.0; 03-23-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: typo
fatty2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Honestly, changing the odometer is illegal..

like you said, if he is a private dealer you can either
A) get him screwed, shut his business down and maybe even sue him

B) he might have not known about this and you may have to track back to how this had happened. maybe they just changed a guage and they didn't get the shown clicks changed.

I think you should take advise from the previous poster (fatty2.0) and talk to a lawyer if its only $20. they'll be able to give you the best advise
rashaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,974 Times in 769 Posts
I doubt the odometer was "rolled back".., if anything the cluster was swapped for whatever reason
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
I doubt the odometer was "rolled back".., if anything the cluster was swapped for whatever reason
Posted via RS Mobile
That's my thought.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote