REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Photography Tips, Tricks and Pointers Thread

I though I would start a new thread, since I didnt really see one here. It would help out anyone that would need some help aswell.. RS has lots of photography experts..

Im still a beginner and would like some pointers and tips.

My gear right now consist of
Canon T2i with stock kit lens
Canon 75mm-250mm zoom lens
Sigma 10mm-20mm wide angle lens (borrowed from a friend)
Tripod (cheapo one from XScargo)

I will be travelling to Beijing, Hong Kong and Macau.
I think I will mostly be using the Sigma wide angle lens.

I would like some tips/pointers for taking some nice Night Time Photography of the cites. Im thinking long exposure time to get all the correct color of the lights..
Should I go with a high ISO 1600+ or 400-800?? Should I raise the exposure compensation?? I havent really taken night time shots to really know how to do it properly...
Should I use any filters to enhance the night time photography?
Advertisement

Last edited by FerrariEnzo; 03-20-2013 at 07:06 AM.
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
It doesn't state on your list, so I am going to recommend that you get a tripod if you plan on doing any sort of long exposure shots. Simply mount your camera, change to ISO 100, set up your desired aperture and shutter, and shoot.

If you're taking regular handheld shots at night, I would bump up the ISO so that your shutter speed is at least the same as your focal or faster. But keep in mind that you always have to take into consideration the level of noise and loss of dynamic range when you bump up the ISO. If your hands are steadier, you can probably get away with a lower ISO and a slower shutter.

But with this all said, you're going to learn more from actually going out and shooting at night. Better to learn now than go on your vacation and wonder why half your shots were garbage.

EDIT: I would also recommend a fast prime like a 35mm or a 50mm. Lens with a wide maximum aperture are your best friends at night.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.

Last edited by Razor Ramon HG; 03-20-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
F8 and be there!
Posted via RS Mobile
Boostslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #4

haha sry.. yea I have a tripod.. a cheapo one from XSCargo... it works.. I plan on buying a nicer one in Hong Kong...

ISO 100.
I heard F/8 was good point to start at.
Whats a good shutter speed to start at? 30s or slower?

BTW, I will be going up to The Peak, to take some night shots..
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

How do you guys determine your f stop when your just out shooting?

Also on just typical walk around shooting when shooting in AV what settings are you guys adjusting?
Posted via RS Mobile
Sniperslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #6

for this, using the creative auto mode, just shot 1 pic at 0 exposure compensation and then adjust after that...
Old 03-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Buy books and read them, not get more and more equipment.
Posted via RS Mobile
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Check the above presentation from Jeff Cable if you're interested in night photography. I learned quite a bit about night photography from his lecture.

BTW, you don't need expensive gear to do night photos. The tripod is a great equalizer.

Last edited by laqvrai; 03-25-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Made video the focal point of post
laqvrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
ddr
Snapping away

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Buy books and read them, not get more and more equipment.
Posted via RS Mobile
this, and youtube, and I find once in a while if you borrow/test better equipment you'll try harder to overcome the shortcomings and appreciate the good stuff when you can get them.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperslayer View Post
How do you guys determine your f stop when your just out shooting?

Also on just typical walk around shooting when shooting in AV what settings are you guys adjusting?
Posted via RS Mobile
Determining f-stop really depends on the feel you want for your photo and is more of a tool on how creative you want to be with your subject and composition.

Large aperture will give you a shallow DOF and throw the background out of focus relative to your subject. Keep in mind that there are things that affect your DOF as well such as lens focal length and your distance to the subject. The longer the focal length and closer you are to the subject, the shallower your DOF and vice versa.

That being said, if you're trying to isolate your subject, go with a larger aperture. An example of this would be if you're taking a portrait or taking a photo of something.

If you're doing a landscape or a scenic photograph and you want everything to be in focus, you should stop down and use a smaller aperture. F8 usually works and is usually the "sweet spot" of the lens where everything is sharpest and you eliminate flaws in the glass such as vignetting and chromatic aberrations.

However, these are just general rules or tips. Again, it all depends on what you want to achieve with your photo.

As for settings in AV, again, it depends. For me, I do a lot of portraits so I'll usually stop my lens down to about 2.0 on my 85mm to get enough DOF so that the whole face is in focus, throw it on spot meter, meter for proper exposure on the face, lock the exposure in place, focus on the eyes then recompose and take the shot.

If that didn't make any sense to you, read up on your camera manual.