REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

ICBC At Fault claim

I thought I would share my ICBC at-fault claim experience.

My wife had a low-speed parking lot collision. Basically, she reversed into the car behind hers at 5km/hr. There was no damage to her car, but there was a slight dent and scratches from the licence plate in the bumper of the other car. She did notice there were existing scratches on the other cars bumper. Unfortunately, she didn't take any pictures of the existing damage.

We went through ICBC, and 6 months later, we got a bill for $900 for the other car's bumper repaint. I didn't feel we should be 100% responsible for the repaint because there was existing damage. There were (bad) pictures from the bodyshop where you could barely see the existing damage. I called the adjuster and after some back and forth, they gave us a 50% discount for the paint ($200) because they agreed there was previous damage.

Lesson of the day? ALWAYs negotiate, especially with ICBC. Even if it's your fault, it's up to you to get a fair settlement.
Advertisement
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

50% of 900= 450$
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by predom View Post
50% of 900= 450$
Posted via RS Mobile
The paint cost was $400, the remainder was for the dent.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

sounds pretty reasonable. I've back into some old shit box nissan suv before and ICBC made me pay 1500. No scratches or anything on both cars. Had pictures and everything if you want to see em.
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
When some guy rearended me the adjuster pointedly made it clear that ICBC would NOT pay to fix existing damage to a bumper: I had a loonie sized dent in my bumper and because of it they would not replace the whole bumper, they would only pay to pull the bumper back out so it wasn't bent looking anymore.

What did I learn? Never tell the ICBC guy you had previous damage. Way I see it, you dented scratched a persons bumper. Said bumper needs a repaint in order to look brand new again, shitty luck for you that there happens to be other blemishes in the bumper, if you hadn't back into said person you wouldn't have had to pay for it in the first place.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #6

if there is previous damage then icbc will only do an allowance( for example if you damaged someones rear bumper but it had previous damage on the car then icbc will not pay for full paint time to paint the bumper)
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I have this habit of always taking pictures of cars in front and behind me when parked on road side, they don't take that much of bytes on my phone anyway. Got back to the car one day and found a dent, I thought, alright these pictures could finally be put to use. Not long after their "investigation" ICBC decided it's a 50-50. I was like WTF.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura View Post
I have this habit of always taking pictures of cars in front and behind me when parked on road side, they don't take that much of bytes on my phone anyway. Got back to the car one day and found a dent, I thought, alright these pictures could finally be put to use. Not long after their "investigation" ICBC decided it's a 50-50. I was like WTF.

Typical ICBC...
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
im in the middle of a dispute right now, because existing damages, hope i get the same luck cuz they are trying to bend me over
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
I always wondered why previous damage such as scratches or cosmetic blemishes were an issue when ICBC covered repairs on an area of a vehicle, especially when the area with pre existing damage would be resprayed regardless of whether there was a scratch in that area or not... regarding filling deeper scratches/dents, I understand but why would someone have to pay depreciation for having a previous scratch 1cm beside a new huge dent.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
this is why you milk every dollar if you get the chance when it comes to getting money from ICBC.
they are all dick waddling semen gagging cock jerking piece of shits
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
this is why you milk every dollar if you get the chance when it comes to getting money from ICBC.
they are all dick waddling semen gagging cock jerking piece of shits
Funny. I've never had a bad experience with 'em. I've had three insurance claims through ICBC (one engine fire, one at-fault collision, and one hit and run on my car). They've always been more than fair when it came to compensating me for a car being written off, and on my hit and run, the shop did a bunch of extra work around the damaged area even though it wasn't "technically" part of the incident. Maybe the bodyshop I deal with goes that extra mile and went to bat for me with ICBC, but either way... Like I said, never had a bad experience with 'em.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #13

i think the shop that fixed you car did the extra repairs to make you happy and hope you bring future business their way. they were not paid to fix your old damage through icbc
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #14
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post
i think the shop that fixed you car did the extra repairs to make you happy and hope you bring future business their way. they were not paid to fix your old damage through icbc
The invoice says otherwise.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Big thanks to OP wife's for sticking around instead of driving away, for the 3rd time someone's dented my bumper and drove away, getting real sick of it
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
When some guy rearended me the adjuster pointedly made it clear that ICBC would NOT pay to fix existing damage to a bumper: I had a loonie sized dent in my bumper and because of it they would not replace the whole bumper, they would only pay to pull the bumper back out so it wasn't bent looking anymore.

What did I learn? Never tell the ICBC guy you had previous damage. Way I see it, you dented scratched a persons bumper. Said bumper needs a repaint in order to look brand new again, shitty luck for you that there happens to be other blemishes in the bumper, if you hadn't back into said person you wouldn't have had to pay for it in the first place.
Actually, for my own car, I had a previous dent in the rear bumper and when I got rear ended, ICBC was only willing to pay for the re-paint.

I ended up paying the body shop extra myself to get the dent pulled out - who would want a newly repainted bumper with a dent in it?!?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Always remember that a person will look at an incident like that as a pay day. Bumper looks like shit? Sweet...newly painted bumper...for free.

We had a guy from across the street looking for contact info for a tenant that he claims hit his truck. I obviously don't hand out any information to people, but took his and passed it on. I knew the truck, and my first question was "how could you tell?" the entire thing was beat, an old 80's F150. He was looking for cash. And he was hoping the threat of an ICBC claim would assist in him getting some from the other party.

Yes, its his right to be compensated for damage to his property, and I don't dispute that...but I think people need to be a bit more, shall we say 'understanding' on these things. He was looking for a payday, and there wasn't a chance in hell his truck was going to end up in a shop to get repaired.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Always remember that a person will look at an incident like that as a pay day. Bumper looks like shit? Sweet...newly painted bumper...for free.

We had a guy from across the street looking for contact info for a tenant that he claims hit his truck. I obviously don't hand out any information to people, but took his and passed it on. I knew the truck, and my first question was "how could you tell?" the entire thing was beat, an old 80's F150. He was looking for cash. And he was hoping the threat of an ICBC claim would assist in him getting some from the other party.

Yes, its his right to be compensated for damage to his property, and I don't dispute that...but I think people need to be a bit more, shall we say 'understanding' on these things. He was looking for a payday, and there wasn't a chance in hell his truck was going to end up in a shop to get repaired.
Some guy I knew (a douchebag, really) tried this with ICBC, and they ruled that the damage was greater than the worth of his car, and wrote it off.

He was looking for a few hundred extra bucks, but ended up having to spend thousands more on buying another car so he can get to work
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote