REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 03-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
kd2
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Electrical Foundations

Hey guys, I am thinking of entering the trades field as an electrician and have been browsing these boards and the wait list for the electrical foundations course at BCIT is till the winter of 2014 according to another poster. I just want some input; should I do the foundations course at another school if in fact the waitlist is that long? UFV, Kwantlen, EJTC?
Is the work really backbreaking? any other information would also be appreciated .
Advertisement
kd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
I haven't taken any of the foundations courses before because I was fortunate to go straight into an apprenticeship, but the most important question of all is: does it lead to a job? If yes, then good.

Electrical can be lighter work compared to some of the other trades. I know a few people that injured themselves as a framer then decided to change over to electrical because it's easier on the back.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I also did not take any electrical courses prior to getting my apprenticeship and worked out well for me. Our company is one of the bigger comnpanies around so we hire and fire guys all the time. From my personal experiences dealing with apprentices that go the pre-app route its seems like a huge waste of money, course can cost between 6-10 grand and from what I've seen you don't gain much.... Sure it counts as your first year, but unless you've already had your hands in the electrical trade you don't gain much because you have no experience with the things that are taught in school. The majority of the guys we've got from pre-app, seem to think they know everything already, yet have no on job experience, which already puts them at a disadvantage because they "already know" everything and don't want to learn proper techniques. My advise would be find a company that hires no experience guys and give it a shot. Its not for everyone, but if you can hack it, its a great career. As far as physical labour goes, it all depends what type of electrician you are, woodframe residential and service are typically easier on the body, but when you get into commercial and industrial it tends to be more physically demanding. Hope that helps you a bit and good luck.
Posted via RS Mobile
J.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
kd2

Thanks for the replies, any suggestions on companies hiring people with no experience? Any feedback from people who have done a electrical foundations course would also be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

jimmyrustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Bell View Post
I also did not take any electrical courses prior to getting my apprenticeship and worked out well for me. Our company is one of the bigger comnpanies around so we hire and fire guys all the time. From my personal experiences dealing with apprentices that go the pre-app route its seems like a huge waste of money, course can cost between 6-10 grand and from what I've seen you don't gain much.... Sure it counts as your first year, but unless you've already had your hands in the electrical trade you don't gain much because you have no experience with the things that are taught in school. The majority of the guys we've got from pre-app, seem to think they know everything already, yet have no on job experience, which already puts them at a disadvantage because they "already know" everything and don't want to learn proper techniques. My advise would be find a company that hires no experience guys and give it a shot. Its not for everyone, but if you can hack it, its a great career. As far as physical labour goes, it all depends what type of electrician you are, woodframe residential and service are typically easier on the body, but when you get into commercial and industrial it tends to be more physically demanding. Hope that helps you a bit and good luck.
Posted via RS Mobile
This mans response is perfect. I really dislike dealing with the people that have come through the pre-app courses. Ive dealt with alot of pre-apps over the years and they don't have the on the job experience needed at all, as well as general construction site experience.

Not to mention alot seem to have the thought that since they have done some schooling they don't have to do the menial work like we all have had to at some point.

I work in a mainly commercial side of things and it can be quite physical. Wood frame is not at all physical but I think is essential for every electrician to at least spend a year doing. I know it helped me alot, and was a great learning experience.

Try to get on as a green guy. I did and its been great since. I know our company is screaming for guys so I imagine alot of other companies are as well.

Get your foot in the door somewhere and work your ass off and youll go far and have a enjoyable job. Where else can you do the most schooling, have a dangerous and physical job and get paid the least?!

I love it!
Triballurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

i am a member of ibew213. i know for a fact that there is no apprentice at the hall right now. there is maybe 5 apprentice in the lower mainland on the list. i would just send in resume at the hall.
blue_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #8

I was told about the same wait time for BCIT for winter 2014.. I signed up but emailed them about how I'd like to be called or if there were any spots available earlier.
I was able to secure me a spot for this year Oct 28 semester .. (electrical foundations bcit)

I hear a lot of people saying you should just jump into the apprenticeship rather then going into the program.. but I guess its personal preference to a point right? I prefer going to school learning/gaining a bundle of knowledge before i head out into the real world haha.
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
kd2

Hey so I tried getting info from ejtc but I cant apply to the course since I only have math 11 and english 12 but no physics 11. So it looks like I will be applying to bcit in the near future, hopefully I get in to the course in 2013 instead of 2014
Old 04-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Isn't there already a huge waitlist for the foundations program at BCIT?

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd2 View Post
Hey so I tried getting info from ejtc but I cant apply to the course since I only have math 11 and english 12 but no physics 11. So it looks like I will be applying to bcit in the near future, hopefully I get in to the course in 2013 instead of 2014
Electrical Foundations..? You dont need physics 11. I had math 11 but my grade wasnt high enough, so i took the skill test they have. I nailed it easily with 86%.. (did maybe 10minutes of quick review with simple stuff like fractions and algebra)

Also there is a pretty big wait list but considering they have 3-4 start dates every year + 3 campus's... plus students drop out. As long as your flexible & have cash or payment at hand.. you can get in fairly soon.
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Worked with one J-Man who was fresh from the union and ALL he knew how to do was pull wire and bend pipe...
Old 04-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #13

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Bending pipe is one of the few things I've wanted to learn, but it's not that often that we use it in residential. I can do shitty offsets and things like that but I think it would be enjoyable to do a whole bunch of pipes with nice lines.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #14

Posted via RS Mobile
Djiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #15

I emailed a program advisor for electrician foundation program at bcit and im currently looking at 2 years waiting list...that long?!
Posted via RS Mobile
Djiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #16
RS controls my life!

For the guys who didnt go in to electrical foundations and going straight in to an apprenticeship, what was your route to the certification/redseal?
Posted via RS Mobile
guesswho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #17
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Don't do foundation.

I'm in a different trade (Mechanical Plumbing) and I just asked around at friends who were plumbers to see who would hire.

I've only been working for 2 months now and I'm already doing water lines and drainage. My boss laughs at the foundation course at BCIT saying its the biggest scam/waste of money.

On that note when I was out of highschool I really wish I went the trades route. It really opens you up to opportunites if you get certified (travel, working in other countries) and if you dislike it at least you can work parttime when returning to school and still bank a few grand a paycheck.

For other trades guys.

What makes a break a company for you? Bad pay? Bad Journeymen?

Last edited by meowjinboo; 05-03-2014 at 06:31 PM.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I felt the same about foundation, i just bought the books and took the ita challenge exam for level 1. Now im trying to get some hours.

BlAh~
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #19
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

my friend recently enrolled. not sure if foundations or apprentice but he was on the waitlist til jan 2015 but then he contacted the advisor and paid a $100 deposit now he's in for july 2014. so if you want to start early, try contacting them and let them know that you'd like a spot right away if it's open.
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #20
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Bell View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
I am Looking to change fields. How does one find a company that would take you on as a apprentice with no experience? I am guessing you'd have to have a lot of luck?

Last edited by dvst8; 05-29-2014 at 10:07 AM.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #21
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Call around and ask. Eazy peazy. Hey Matlock this for you bro, nothing major but figured I'd share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140123_135756.jpg (172.6 KB, 0 views)
J.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote