REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #51
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
I just don't get why it has to be there. I'm guessing most of them didn't grow up there. And I don't think they have to be so close to downtown, they don't have jobs to go to. Housing them out somewhere in the suburbs makes sense to me.
But where? Surrey? Chilliwack? Anywhere East of Surrey has much colder winters than the other side of the Fraser River, so housing shelter would be needed at a much higher rate than being in Vancouver. And then who pays for those shelters? The municipalities? Vancouver, since they decided to ship them out? The BC government? And by shipping them out, do you propose to find jobs for them out in the new town? If that's the case, then couldn't they just as easily find said jobs in Vancouver instead? The reason why so many people converge on the DTES is because that's where the drugs are, along with easy places to work the street for hookers. By shoving them out of one area, you're simply moving that problem to another location. Why should another city like Delta take on that burden?

There's a XS Cargo style store in Surrey that takes in homeless and rehab patients and gives them a job to get a foothold for proper living again. From what I've heard, they do a pretty good job at it. There needs to be more companies like this.

As an aside, I read a couple years ago that the "homeless" in Langley are the richest in BC...
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #52
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
But where? Surrey? Chilliwack? Anywhere East of Surrey has much colder winters than the other side of the Fraser River, so housing shelter would be needed at a much higher rate than being in Vancouver. And then who pays for those shelters? The municipalities? Vancouver, since they decided to ship them out? The BC government? And by shipping them out, do you propose to find jobs for them out in the new town? If that's the case, then couldn't they just as easily find said jobs in Vancouver instead? The reason why so many people converge on the DTES is because that's where the drugs are, along with easy places to work the street for hookers. By shoving them out of one area, you're simply moving that problem to another location. Why should another city like Delta take on that burden?

There's a XS Cargo style store in Surrey that takes in homeless and rehab patients and gives them a job to get a foothold for proper living again. From what I've heard, they do a pretty good job at it. There needs to be more companies like this.

As an aside, I read a couple years ago that the "homeless" in Langley are the richest in BC...

We are talking about social housing so the weather does not matter. You can rent a basement suite in Surrey for $400 all day.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #53
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
housing???
--->PRUITT<---

PLEASE. They built a mini city for the poor and all they did was run it to the ground.

Building shit for poor people doesn't work. just throw that idea out the window.

It's been proven over and over again, they won't take care of the shit you give them.

to be honest i think the problem will take care of itself over time.

they can keep breaking windows and shit. but eventually there will be more of the "middle class" than them.

they'll just be pushed out. like all poor people are.

i'm not talking from a political point of view.
they don't have money. too bad. lol. get lost. break more shit. they'll just replace it, cuz they can.
since they already view it as "bullying". But whatever. like all victims, they'll just be pushed aside.

i don't see this situation as a negative. it's POSITIVE. it's a great thing.
it means development. the old are feeling the push, and are scared.

every area has to go through this. push the poor to medium poor to the outskirts. where they got pushed out urbanizes and becomes a new center of power. rinse and repeat. a great city is built.

no different than a forest being bulldozed and turned into something magnificent. the animals have to go somewhere else.

they're fighting an uphill battle. ice skating uphill if you will. fight capitalism? in NORTH AMERICA? LOL. give me a break have fun. keep breaking shit. keep stealing shit. maybe save on meats will leave some coins taped to their signs so they can get something to eat and replenish their energy lol. you fight a war based on money, you're gonna need money to win. That's one thing they don't have. they don't have money. they don't do things civilly, they're mostly not educated... they're not articulate in a classy way. what makes you think they're gonna win this war? LOL. just let them wither and die in the corner trying to fight. just let them.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 03-25-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #54
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
We are talking about social housing so the weather does not matter. You can rent a basement suite in Surrey for $400 all day.
The question about who will pay for said housing still remains. Transplanting people into housing will only work if they're willing to accept it. And even if they do accept it, there will always be people who will tear the place apart for even a hint of copper, as Ulic showed. And for those who don't accept it and decide to stay living outside, you can bet that there will still be activists calling for people's heads if they start dying once the cold weather hits.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #55
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Well, Langley's homeless prosperity levels are significantly skewed by the "Greg the Can Man."

"Greg" also proves, hard work isn't necessarily enough to pull yourself out of homelessness.. once you fall, it's very hard to climb back up.

(Greg is a randomly assigned name)
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #56
Ubereem Mod

Why is everyone's thinking about the "bad" gentrification does? Or Good acutally?

Not really, the acutual problem are who's toes are and will be stepped on, it's all about how MANY toes or how LITTLE that's the real key issue. And if our politicians (which btw will never happen.) have the balls to do something about it.

Everyone thinks time square in NYC is a landmark now, gorgeous place. No one even thinks now about what it was in the 60-late 70's. It was worst then DTES and it was and had the highest murder rate in all of the USA.

They decided to clean it up, gentrify it if you will, but look at it now. No one ever remembers when NO ONE would drive into time square and stay around there.

For all the people that are complaining and vandalising lack 1 thing, intelligence. There are many ways to get what these vadals want, too bad they decided to use the worst method.

And to be honest, they are doing what they are doing for SELF GREED not for anything good for DTES.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #57
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:

Maybe we could build them a trailer park like in TPBs in a new area. Extra taxes collected on the gentrified DTES could pay for that and maybe some more welfare. Seems like drug dealers have moved out to the suburbs (Bacon bros in Abbotsford) and so the won't have to drive 40km in their pimped out Escalades all the way downtown. It would be good for the environment too!

Good on XS Cargo and the homeless that have graduated from there
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #58
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
Maybe we could build them a trailer park like in TPBs in a new area. Extra taxes collected on the gentrified DTES could pay for that and maybe some more welfare. Seems like drug dealers have moved out to the suburbs (Bacon bros in Abbotsford) and so the won't have to drive 40km in their pimped out Escalades all the way downtown. It would be good for the environment too!

Good on XS Cargo and the homeless that have graduated from there
instead of a trailer park, just give them something the size of a gym out in langley/MR/chilliwack etc...something to keep them warm during winter months, have showers, shave, clean up and get 3 meals a day(not luxury meals...but food) and sleep in cots. basically something away from the DTES. make it a charity run place, and with the homeless attempting to do work and make money, have them fork over a small percentage of what they make to keep the place running so its not a total burden on everyone else.

they can strike up some deals with local shops/warehouses etc...let this guy sweep your floors, wash your fleet of semi trucks etc, talk to the shops on an entire block, maybe see if they can each agree to donate 25$ for the guy/girl to wash each window..do that on an entire block...thats probably 100$ there, and in return the companies pay the charity in the homeless persons name (lets say greg since that name was already brought up). greg can take his money from the chairity whos holding it kinda like a bank to go buy food, clothes etc. but needs to return a receipt for every penny spent so they know its not going towards drugs and such. once hes able to support himself a bit, maybe one of the companies could use him as a spare labourer making above minimum wage. once hes gotten a few pay checks, opened up an actual bank account, have him get a small apt that he can afford, maybe move in with another guy as well. once he leaves the shelter, a new person can fill his spot.

offer it to the homeless who want to change..have a sign up sheet that can only hold 100 or however many can fit at a time. those who want to change and are willing to do what it takes, will sign up adn get a second chance. but let them know its not a free house for them, while there they have strict rules, absolutely no drugs, curfews, drug tests - anyone who fails is kicked out and denied a re application for 12 months, anyone who uses the building just as a place to live and doesnt look for work is booted out as well.

theres already clothing charity bins to help them dress in clothes, food banks, and tons of old people who really have nothing to do all day and would love to get out of their house even if just for a few hours a day serving soup or making PB&J sandwiches.

after i graduated (9 years ago) i had a job working at english bay, everyday on my breaks i would sit on a bench infront of the water and eat lunch etc. id start noticing a few homeless people who would hang out in the area, id give them what i didnt eat, talk with them to kill time (i worked alone) and one of the questions i would always ask them is how they became homeless and if they could go back to the life they had would they. 9/10, they said if they had the chance to they would.

im not a fan of the homeless, but i do think some deserve a 2nd chance at life.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #59
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
And more.

Pete McMartin: The gentrification of an empty lot
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #60

this whole thought of these anarchists really upsets me. as a young adult who works hard for his money and fought through to find a full time job, im tired of hearing about homeless people wanting for more. we already live in a hard economy as is where $40,000 a year can barely get you by if you rent, forget buying a home with a mortgage.

why are these morons attacking these businesses? after all isn't some of the tax payers money supporting the idiots too lazy to help themselves? attack and scare business away, less money goes into the government. im sick of the DTE, you want freedom? did not to take advantage of free education? THEN TOO BAD you got freedom and now face the reality of it. If these homeless really want help theyd go find it.
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #61
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 01:41 PM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #62
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

There are many reasons why people might become homeless aside from being lazy asses. Some people might be suffering from mental illness, ran away from abusive foster homes, etc. Granted some homeless people might just be lazy and have no motivation in life, but how can you say that all homeless people are the cause of their own misfortune? No one can choose the life and circumstances they are born into.
Posted via RS Mobile
VancouverG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverG88 View Post
There are many reasons why people might become homeless aside from being lazy asses. Some people might be suffering from mental illness, ran away from abusive foster homes, etc. Granted some homeless people might just be lazy and have no motivation in life, but how can you say that all homeless people are the cause of their own misfortune? No one can choose the life and circumstances they are born into.
Posted via RS Mobile
and that justifies drug and alcohol abuse? that justifies sitting on the streets pan handling and wrecking other peoples hard work into their own business? our government and city gives WAY too much money to all these rehab programs that don't get used to really do what theyre supposed to do.

To steal the iconic Save on Meats sign is a real bite to the hand that feeds. SOM does their exchange a token for a meal program to help these ungrateful idiots to only get repaid in getting their sign stolen to prove a point. If I was the owner of SOM id say "fuck you all, keep eating whats left in the trash"
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #64
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyobaru View Post

To steal the iconic Save on Meats sign is a real bite to the hand that feeds. SOM does their exchange a token for a meal program to help these ungrateful idiots to only get repaid in getting their sign stolen to prove a point. If I was the owner of SOM id say "fuck you all, keep eating whats left in the trash"
Just to clarify, it is unlikely that it was the actual panhandlers, crackheads, etc of the DTES that stole the sign, etc.

The anti-gentrification activists\ anarchists\hipsters\assholes are the ones we should be focusing on in regards to the vandalism.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #65
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
"Anti-gentrification activists object to the proposal out of hand: Their argument has consistently been that free-market developers are destroying the fabric of the neighbourhood..."

What "fabric"??? Half the people down there stumble around in a daze all day, they aren't part of any "fabric" to begin with.

"The detractors of it who say it will lead to the destruction of the neighbourhood and drive out the poorer residents ... In my mind, that’s reductionist thinking. Density and diversity will lead, I think, to a revitalized neighbourhood."

That's the real killer with the activist loonies: if nine of out ten homeless (as in stewie's example) really want to get back on their feet... then starting to integrate back into society is the best place to start. Hanging around with the "regular folk", everyone getting to know each other... in the business world, that's called "networking" and it's how a lot of people get jobs. Keeping the homeless down there separated from society will only serve to... well, keep them separated from society in perpetuity.

I suspect these "activists" are the same idiots who tried to get a riot started at the beginning of the Olympics... who tried to escalate the Occupy activities. They don't give a fuck about anyone else; they're just looking for the latest "cause" to jump on so they can stir the shit again. The only reason they do any of it is to see how much turmoil they can cause for their own amusement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #66

And almost as if on cue... the following link appears in my Twitter feed:
Anarchist crime does not serve the Downtown Eastside - The Globe and Mail
Quote:
Old 03-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #67
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Criminals. Lock them up. Why is this even a debate? I was surprised these idiots get press coverage. 'Gentrification' my ass. They are vandals, plain and simple.

They should be commemorating that legitimate businesses are setting up shop in the shitty part of town. I wonder what their ulterior motive is.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #68
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
I'm sure there has to be people that these vandals have boasted about their victory (getting media coverage and all). I hope sometime, sooner than later, someone is going to slip somewhere and these guys get caught.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #69
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
I'm sure there has to be people that these vandals have boasted about their victory (getting media coverage and all). I hope sometime, sooner than later, someone is going to slip somewhere and these guys get caught.
they took photos of themselves...my guess is they're teenagers(only saying that cause in the picture ones throwing up peace signs and theres another on his knees shoving his head out from the side...

im sure they'll be caught soon enough lol
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #70

Pidgin Cafe protesters put on notice:

Quote:
Old 05-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #71
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
These idiots are at it again, can we just round up all these anarchist and tar and feather them in a public square.

So a developer is building a new house where a older run down house was, what the fuck is the big deal, these idiots are angry they can't afford the new house, well who's fault is that, take some personal responsibility, go work harder and make more money instead of blaming everyone else because you can't afford shit. Personally I'm so sick of these anarchist and all these "Occupy" type movement groups, its time to crack down with extreme prejudice on them IMO.

Quote:
CTV British Columbia
Published Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:15PM PDT

Alleged anti-gentrification extremists have claimed responsibility for a house fire in East Vancouver, calling the project a “yuppie development” in an unverified email sent to CTV News.

The suspicious fire broke out early Wednesday morning at a new home under construction at Victoria Street and 1st Avenue, destroying the structure and damaging a neighbouring property.
No one was at home when the blaze broke out, but police believe it was deliberately set and confirm that arson experts are investigating.
PHOTOS

A spray-painted message reading "We'll be back" was left behind the site of a house fire in East Vancouver early Wednesday morning. May 15, 2013. (CTV)
There are no suspects yet, but an unverified message sent to CTV News and posted on an online anarchist forum points to anti-gentrification crusaders.
“Last night we burned down a yuppie development,” it reads. “The class war is heating up. We have no intention on stopping.”
The message reads like a call-to-arms for East Side residents, warning them that rents will rise and they will be pushed out of their homes if nothing is done.
“We are tired of seeing our lives and memories being torn down one development at a time. We wish and will create fear for developers.”
The developer of the property, Paul Dhaliwal, said he doesn’t know of anyone in the neighbourhood who’s unhappy with his project, and he didn’t received any threats before the fire was allegedly set.
But that changed Wednesday morning when an unsettling spray-painted message reading “We’ll be back” was discovered at a portable toilet at the back of the property.
“It delays everything. I guess that’s the main objective, just to stop everything from moving,” Dhaliwal said. “They don’t want to see change.”
Vancouver police have received a copy of the email and are trying to track down the author.
For now, Const. Brian Montague said it’s unclear whether the fire is connected to recent gentrification protests in the Downtown Eastside.
“It’s too early to tell whether this is linked to any specific group or organization,” Montague said.
In recent weeks, alleged anti-development activists have tried to chain the doors of Pidgin restaurant, stolen a sandwich board from Save on Meats, and smashed the windows of a Commercial Drive pizzeria three times.

Read more: Alleged extremists claim responsibility for house fire | CTV British Columbia News
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #72
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Yea saw this on the news today, fucking gross
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #73
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
These idiots are at it again, can we just round up all these anarchist and tar and feather them in a public square.

So a developer is building a new house where a older run down house was, what the fuck is the big deal, these idiots are angry they can't afford the new house, well who's fault is that, take some personal responsibility, go work harder and make more money instead of blaming everyone else because you can't afford shit. Personally I'm so sick of these anarchist and all these "Occupy" type movement groups, its time to crack down with extreme prejudice on them IMO.

They also need to stop buying their venti fair trade half milk decaf triple foam chai lattes from Starbucks. Some of those "champions of the impoverished" are spoiled rich kids that took a couple of philosophy and urban history classes and think that they know the world because if it. Walking contradictions they are.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #74
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
ugh. stories like this make me want to punch kittens.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #75
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
They also need to stop buying their venti fair trade half milk decaf triple foam chai lattes from Starbucks. Some of those "champions of the impoverished" are spoiled rich kids that took a couple of philosophy and urban history classes and think that they know the world because if it. Walking contradictions they are.
I guess when your rich parents can catch you if you fall you can afford to spend your younger years being an asshole
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote