REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

2012-2013 APA Investigation of Vancouver Used Car Dealers, with W5

2012-2013 APA Investigation of Vancouver Used Car Dealers, with W5

I keep reading and hearing about shady dealers, but I thought this was interesting because it was an independent study.

I drive by "Lucky 8" occasionally, and always wondered if their cars were as bad as their reputation.
Quote:
4. Lucky 8 Auto Sales
715 Kingsway, Vancouver
FAIL
2012 Nissan Rogue $20,900
2009 Subaru Legacy with 9905 km for $16,900
Extra fees: None
Lucky 8 was the worst dealer of the investigation. The dealer failed for misrepresenting damage to a vehicle, offering for sale an unsafe vehicle, and for deceptive advertising. This dealer ran materially different ads in English than in Chinese. When APA translated the ads for the Legacy and Rogue appearing in the EasyTradeWeekly, a Chinese language paper, (Issue 34, October 13, 2012), they indicated “no accident”. In English there were no representations to that effect.
[/url]
Look up your favorite kingsway/surrey shady dealer!!
Advertisement
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
PVR'd this and watched it the other day. Love to see squirming sales people change their stories and act dumb.

Though I was surprised at the ICBC rep they talked to. It's well known vehicles that are passed are done by shady inspectors who apply to ICBC to become vehicle inspectors solely for the purpose of running scams. You can't blame ICBC if an inspector goes bad, and until someone reports a car they don't know which ones are passing lousy vehicles. I thought he should have mentioned this, but he may not be allowed to talk about it, and as such, it comes across like they're looking the other way or not doing much about it.

I blame this on the people who buy used cars without spending the $100 to have a mechanic do an inspection for them. Or those who buy a car and when it starts falling apart don't bother to do anything about it (like reporting it to ICBC).
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
I don't get it

i remember ctv w five did a documentary about vancouver used car dealerships. apparently, we are one of the worst places in canada to buy used cars from those dealers.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
I deal with Kingsway/Byrne dealership cars on occasion and always chuckle when the cars are advertised as "no accidents". If one headlight looks brand new and the other is heavily oxidized, even a monkey should be able to put the pieces together...
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Always thought lucky 8 was fishy....their cars looked stunningly perfect in the exterior...and at such a low price...there had to be something wrong. Also i'm also surprised Luxor actually passed
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
on a kinda related topic:

If I buy a used car, a BCAA inspection should be able to pick out the bad from the good correct? or are there some really shady places that can hide some real nasty shit
Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
^ I wouldn't worry about them missing something. When you know what to look for it's pretty easy to see if a car has been repaired and how good the job was.

BCAA is pretty good, but if I was buying a used BMW, Mercedes or other high-end car I'd take it to a shop that knows those cars. BCAA will look for all the main stuff, but they might not be aware of model-specific problems.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Investigation reveals dangerous cars back on the roads after being written off

Figured I might as well post the link to the video here. The Legacy was claimed to be sold to Lucky 8 by a Honda Dealer then sent back
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Use to delivery parts to them when I worked for lordco. They're nice people, but I would not buy anything from them.
92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
satek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
lol these dealers are around for decades, Most people know about them... Heck, even if you didnt, you would ask around and sooner or later, you would find out abou them...
Old 03-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Interesting read, OP.

Good to know.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #12
vvd
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

When shopping around for a car, I stopped by lucky 8 auto because they advertised a white RSX-S, no accidents.

Went to check out car...

Door panels and trunk badly misaligned, car was very obviously not original white and car was only 5 speed... Type S is 6...

wasted 2 minutes of my life...
Posted via RS Mobile
vvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
We were looking at a car at a nicer private used car lot in NW.

Went and looked at it, and it looked great. I checked alignment of the panels, and the paint and it all looked good. They asked if we wanted to drive it. I had to go to work, so we passed, but would go back.

So, Dino goes in and wants to drive it...lets see if we even like it for how it drives.

"oh...like, today?"

"yeah"

"um....yeah. We could, well, we could do that...but I uh, have to tell you, the check engine light comes on"

And done. She just rolled her eyes in front of the guy and walked.

Why are you advertising it for sale? Fix the fucking thing and call it a day.

I had another guy when I was looking for my truck. It had the V8 which I wasn't looking for, but I was like, lets see what the v8 feels like. Off we go. Years before, an ex had the exact same truck in the V6, so I knew what to expect. I'm sitting in it, and first, I feel very short, and can't see over the dash. I'm sitting there, and I feel like I'm 12, playing behind the wheel of my dads truck.

So we take it out...and its a dog. I punch it, thinking, "lets see what the extra cylinders do" aaaaandd...apparently nothing. Dog.

Pull it back in, and get the "how was that?" question.

"Well, 'that' was shit man."

"Oh, well there is a problem where the parking brake stays engaged"

Couldn't tell me that before hand? I knew what I was looking for, and I wasn't going to get a brand new truck. I didn't WANT a brand new truck. I'm using it for work. Dings make me feel better.

And the seat thing is apparently an issue, and the foam collapses, which is why I was sitting on the floor, feeling like I was 12.

It's such a horrible experience looking for a used car. The salesmen are...interesting...the cars are piles of poo. Just insane.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #14
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
I was forced to buy a car when my Prelude was torched in front of my house years ago. I was looking at 240SX's and came acrosss a fairly nice one at Lucky 8 (yeah, big mistake). I bought it without my own inspection (another big mistake) and drove it for about a year and a half. When I did an Aircare look-up on it I had found out the odometer had been rolled back or replaced. So my car had over 300,000 kms on it but read 160,000. NEVER AGAIN! At least the car drove ok and didn't have too many problems while I owned it.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Kingsway used car dealerships are the scum of the earth. Been looking to buy a car for a month since mine was written off, never had such bad experiences in my life. Private sale is the way to go.
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
I don't think I'm ever going to buy a car from a used car dealership, it's so much easier to catch problems when buying privately, since the owners usually don't have any knowledge of why, what, or how something could be wrong with the car. (usually, as in most, not all)

To the trained eye, it's clear when something is off when you're looking at car being sold privately. Used car dealerships are good at hiding things, which makes the job of inspecting the car yourself more difficult, but not impossible.

At least that's my take on it, every time I've looked at a car privately, I was able to clearly see and hear everything that was off with it.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #17
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanks for this... I was looking at a BMW from lucky
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #18
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
wasnt this evo one of the rs members car?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR LOCAL $30, 000 UPGRADE For Sale | VANCOUVER BC
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
asr
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Thanked 1,399 Times in 371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
lol wrong expression again. It is a sst, not manual.
asr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Not surprised by this. There's a dealer on Marine Way that I once went to for a VW Corrado. It was advertised as "no accidents, perfect mechanical order" etc. In person it had obviously been in a major accident, was rusty as hell, the VR6 sounded like shit, and the sunroof didn't close properly so it had a bunch of water damage. And they were asking $10,000 for it.

A member from VWVortex in Alberta eventually ended up buying it for about a thousand dollars, took out the engine to rebuild it, and scrapped the rest of the car.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I bought from lucky8, had no issues, however the salesmen looked and acted sketchy as shit, lol.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #22
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
With paint meter a dime a dozen, I am surprised not that many people bring them a long with them and test on the cars before they purchase (dealer or not).

Obviously there is market for these sketchy places in Vancouver or else they would have all gone out of business? (especially with such high real estate prices).
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #23
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
low prices bring ppl in...especially young people...i know when i was young i've checked out a few of these places. the one i got my first car from has been closed down for a while now. driving by kingsway/victoria brings back memories...it was a learning experience...

man were they greasy....real greasy...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #24
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Wow, looking at that list, don't ever buy a used car in New Westminster...
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #25
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Does anyone know anything about Company of Cars? I was looking at some of there stock and was thinking about a few cars that they have. Used Inventory for Company of Cars | Quality Used Car Dealership in Vancouver, BC, V5T 1V4 that includes luxury used cars trucks and suv
Wild_Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote