REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 03-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Brakes

Hey guys,

I need my brakes serviced soon as I can feel my car not responding correctly when I my apply brakes.

My car uses front discs and rear drums.

I would probably need the rotors, pads, shoes and drums replaced.

Auto-Unique on Palm Ave in Burnaby has a special for $80 + $31 extra for ceramic for either front or rears installed.

The place also has a groupon deal as well, however... $80 for brakes INSTALLED.. tooo cheap no? I've been looking around and been quoted around the $150-200 installed.

Is $80 too fishy? Would you trust it? I'm all about being cheap but I also follow the rule of "You get what you paid for"

Thanks!
Advertisement
sashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Chances are it is a loss leader to get you on the hoist then charge you for a bunch of "issues" and say if you won't fix them they won't release the car etc etc. because it is unsafe.

It might be a broad stroke.. but why chance it?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

Good thinking, never thought about that

Does anyone know a good reputable and affordable place to get brakes done? I do not want to shell out $400 Parts & Labor for something that I KNOW for a fact that I can get it from TireRack for like $60.

Labour is the issue because I have no idea how to do brakes and I am not about to risk it
Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Do you have ABS? stick with those those are greeeaaatt!
Tru3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

I recommend abs
Tru3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #6

Troll more?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:51 AM   #7

You do know just cus you can get stuff from the states for dirt cheap doesn't mean that you can get the same price in Canada.
Posted via RS Mobile
mx5nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5nate View Post
You do know just cus you can get stuff from the states for dirt cheap doesn't mean that you can get the same price in Canada.
Posted via RS Mobile
Yes I understand that, however $400 was quote for the fronts alone, while I've seen other shops doing it for $100.. overpriced much?

Anywho, can anyone recommend a good place to get brakes done at a reasonable price?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
I think for your standard front brake job (rotors and pads), you're looking at (at the very least) 1.5 hours of labour. Given that most shops charge $90+/hour, you're looking at about 150 for labour plus parts. The prices for parts can vary, but in most cases, local shops with their discounts would be hard pressed to match the prices of a wholesaler in the US. Don't forget that most shops have to mark-up their parts too to actually make a living.

I think it's a good idea to research the prices for the OEM parts online so you can see whether or not shops are charging an unreasonably high mark-up.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

When a shop advertises a $100 brake job. That is just for labour.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashi View Post
Yes I understand that, however $400 was quote for the fronts alone, while I've seen other shops doing it for $100.. overpriced much?

Anywho, can anyone recommend a good place to get brakes done at a reasonable price?
$100 for a brake job at a shop?

No way I'm going there.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote