REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
DaFonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In your head
Posts: 4,591
Thanked 376 Times in 176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
What's an MSG headache?

Pretty much all of Japanese cooking use loads of it... And everyone knows that these are the unhealthiest, fattest people in the world with the lowest life spans right!
MSG Headache, powerband power, santa claus, easter bunny.

What do they all have in common?

They just imaginary things that don't exist.
Advertisement
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,029
Thanked 17,639 Times in 5,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
what do you guys eat XOsauce with?

i only use it for dim sum but I should try it with chinese buns next time
lo bak go
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #28
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
6793026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BC, HK, USA
Posts: 5,735
Thanked 1,394 Times in 505 Posts
i don't like to put in MSG because it doesn't necessary represent the food properly. I mean, i much rather have a bowl of nice ramen, pho, any FOOD that doesn't have MSG than to eat something with MSG.

in my opinion, 9 out of 10 times, i get very thirtsy after pho and it's literllay cause of the MSG in the food and not the salt.

Salt doesn't give the same effect as MSG; i can't explain it as I'm not a scientist and taste is very subjective so i'll just leave it at that.

on all the meals i cook, all the food i make, i don't put in any MSG.
__________________
Arguing on the internet is like running in the SPECIAL OLYMPICS.

Even if you win, you're still retarded.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,029
Thanked 17,639 Times in 5,345 Posts
Taste is indeed subjective. Some people don't like salty, some don't like sweet, some don't like bitter. Apparently you don't like umami.

But to make up shit like "msg headaches" and "I get really thirsty and I know it's not from salt" is just silly (although I suppose it's possible that you have an intolerance to glutamates, that's just you, and doesn't make people who don't have your issues "douchey"). IMO, the anecdotal negative feelings that fall within "chinese food syndrome" is most likely caused by eating huge amounts of carbs + unhealthy vegetable oil.

Just say you don't like umami, and leave it at that. BTW foods heavy in umami include any meat product and 99% of all soup ever made.

I like umami too, but sometimes it can be too much. I can't drink very many soups in Japan, because it is so umami. They love it here (why do you think so much of their cuisine uses seaweed? it is loaded with glutamates. Same goes for Chinese food using soy sauce. The whole point of soy sauce is to add umami), and for me they tend to go a bit overboard.

So it's subjective, it doesn't mean someone is a "douche" for liking umami flavour, and wanting to enhance it

And finally, when you try to avoid MSG by buying something that is "MSG free", all they do is replace MSG with another form of free glutamates... monopotassium glutamate, calcium diglutamate, monoammonium glutamate, and magnesium diglutamate. Same shit, just using a different salt. But it's MSG free!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
DaFonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: In your head
Posts: 4,591
Thanked 376 Times in 176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
in my opinion, 9 out of 10 times, i get very thirtsy after pho and it's literllay cause of the MSG in the food and not the salt.

Salt doesn't give the same effect as MSG; i can't explain it as I'm not a scientist and taste is very subjective so i'll just leave it at that.
Quote:
A controlled double-blind multicenter clinical trial failed to demonstrate the relationship between MSG symptom complex and the consumption of MSG in individuals who believed they reacted adversely against MSG. No statistical association has been demonstrated, there were few responses and they were inconsistent
No, you're not a scientist and that's why you shouldn't spout off on nonsense like that.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #31
I STILL don't get it
 
extracrunchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina
Posts: 479
Thanked 236 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
^ the ham they put in is epic expensive. you could just not put any in.

i never cut up my shrimp because i want people to know i put in large ones and not just little charity pieces.

sorry, but this guy has shitty ass cutting skills and clearly his garlic overflowed the pan. Please be super carefuly when you make this (if you want to do it), the oil will over flow and when you do put in garlic / shallots, do NOT over cook it as it will for sure turn brown and create a burnt taste.
Replace that ham with bacon
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #32
The Brown Reason
 
BrRsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Whalley
Posts: 4,594
Thanked 5,847 Times in 1,521 Posts
ld50 for salt (g/kg bodyweight):
16,600 [1]
ld50 for msg (g/kg bodyweight):
3000 [1]

1) http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/4/1049S.short


oh look ... here's a scientist .. with degrees and shit ... and a published + reviewed study.
Let's completely disregard his findings! hurrah!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
fuck this shit, i'm out
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #33
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
6793026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: BC, HK, USA
Posts: 5,735
Thanked 1,394 Times in 505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extracrunchie View Post
Replace that ham with bacon
doesn't work. when you get to the later stage of frying the oil, the bacon becomes very black burnt bacon bits, the ham works much much better.

i usually add some 菜宝 to give it a slight crunch. AND you could put in some fried garlic shavings to give it a contrast.
__________________
Arguing on the internet is like running in the SPECIAL OLYMPICS.

Even if you win, you're still retarded.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #34
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,797
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Taste is indeed subjective. Some people don't like salty, some don't like sweet, some don't like bitter. Apparently you don't like umami.

But to make up shit like "msg headaches" and "I get really thirsty and I know it's not from salt" is just silly (although I suppose it's possible that you have an intolerance to glutamates, that's just you, and doesn't make people who don't have your issues "douchey"). IMO, the anecdotal negative feelings that fall within "chinese food syndrome" is most likely caused by eating huge amounts of carbs + unhealthy vegetable oil.

Just say you don't like umami, and leave it at that. BTW foods heavy in umami include any meat product and 99% of all soup ever made.

I like umami too, but sometimes it can be too much. I can't drink very many soups in Japan, because it is so umami. They love it here (why do you think so much of their cuisine uses seaweed? it is loaded with glutamates. Same goes for Chinese food using soy sauce. The whole point of soy sauce is to add umami), and for me they tend to go a bit overboard.

So it's subjective, it doesn't mean someone is a "douche" for liking umami flavour, and wanting to enhance it

And finally, when you try to avoid MSG by buying something that is "MSG free", all they do is replace MSG with another form of free glutamates... monopotassium glutamate, calcium diglutamate, monoammonium glutamate, and magnesium diglutamate. Same shit, just using a different salt. But it's MSG free!
hmm interesting, but you have a strong point. geez skinny, you never cease to amaze me with your polar opposite viewpoints
__________________
Buyer/Seller Feedback

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #35
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,029
Thanked 17,639 Times in 5,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
hmm interesting, but you have a strong point. geez skinny, you never cease to amaze me with your polar opposite viewpoints
I live life with a skeptical chip on my shoulder - you should too!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #36
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
SlySi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Yaletown Snob
Posts: 1,119
Thanked 53 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
what do you guys eat XOsauce with?

i only use it for dim sum but I should try it with chinese buns next time
Like Franks hot sauce.
I put that on everything.
SlySi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net