REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,980
Thanked 6,604 Times in 1,600 Posts
How will ICBC deal with out of country accident?

Planning a road trip down the West Coast, possible into Cali., Oregon for sure.

Just wondering, if hypothetically, I was involved in an accident that rendered the car undriveable, but not a write-off.

Will they pay to tow it to BC and then repair, or do they pay for repairs locally? Any reimbursements to costs associated?

If the other party is a US registered and insured vehicle, how would ICBC go about dealing with it?

Half of this is out of curiosity and half for knowledge for future use
Advertisement
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: BC
Posts: 5,239
Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Interesting question.
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N49.2 W122.1
Posts: 6,176
Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You have to contact ICBC if you get into an accident overseas and they will take care of it on their end.. Depending on the damage, you can get it repaired locally eg if there is a smash and grab etc. I am pretty sure ICBC wants you to get repaired in the States because it is less hassle and costs less. Make sure you have ICBC's 1800#, policy # and a cell phone whenever you travel. Loss of travel and expenses like hotels etc, I think falls under your travel insurance or Roadstar (I find Roadstar sucks because you pay everything out of the pocket first and not much else, BCAA is little bit much better but more expensive), have a credit card with plenty of credit limit just for travel too.. so it makes these incidental costs easier to manage.

As for the other party's US insurance company, ICBC will deal with it for you on your behalf. However knowing how expensive things are in the States when it comes to medical and law.. Load up on your optional 3rd party and underinsured options before you head down South (also life/work insurance etc). One of my high school classmate's family suffered a tragic accident down south in the NY State.. parents died and sister maimed.. It was a multi million $ verdict; but because the other driver was not insured, he just declared bankruptcy and there wasn't much to get back. It was really traumatic and tough when you were 19 years old and got admitted to medical school but couldn't attend or defer.

To summarize
1.Check your basic autoplan for Underinsured limit, inverse liability etc (max them out, it is not that much more)
2.Good idea to check your work/life insurance before you go (especially loss of work)
3.Program the insurance companies 1800# into your phone.
4.Have a spare credit card if you want to dot the is and cross the ts.

Last edited by godwin; 04-07-2013 at 02:41 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS
 
falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,402
Thanked 900 Times in 387 Posts
A very good friend of mine is an out of province adjuster for ICBC. A lot of factors go into the dec. They can and will pay to tow it back, but they may also have it repaired locally. They have agreements with shops and have out of province estimators in various locations that can asses the damage and see how close to a write off it is. If it's close, they will take into account putting you up while your car is repaired, rental, etc. Sometimes a car that would be repairable here would be written off if it's out of province. They have special people for this type of claims so call them and they can explain it all.
__________________
FOR SALE: 14'' MR2 MK1 wheels with 90% rubber $130, FD RX7 Transmission $200, Hitch Mount Snowboard/Ski rack w/ THULE clamps, locks $200. PM me for details!

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
& Associates Inc.
 
ruthless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Canada Eh
Posts: 1,631
Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
You have to contact ICBC if you get into an accident overseas and they will take care of it on their end.. Depending on the damage, you can get it repaired locally eg if there is a smash and grab etc. I am pretty sure ICBC wants you to get repaired in the States because it is less hassle and costs less. Make sure you have ICBC's 1800#, policy # and a cell phone whenever you travel. Loss of travel and expenses like hotels etc, I think falls under your travel insurance or Roadstar (I find Roadstar sucks because you pay everything out of the pocket first and not much else, BCAA is little bit much better but more expensive), have a credit card with plenty of credit limit just for travel too.. so it makes these incidental costs easier to manage.

As for the other party's US insurance company, ICBC will deal with it for you on your behalf. However knowing how expensive things are in the States when it comes to medical and law.. Load up on your optional 3rd party and underinsured options before you head down South (also life/work insurance etc). One of my high school classmate's family suffered a tragic accident down south in the NY State.. parents died and sister maimed.. It was a multi million $ verdict; but because the other driver was not insured, he just declared bankruptcy and there wasn't much to get back. It was really traumatic and tough when you were 19 years old and got admitted to medical school but couldn't attend or defer.

To summarize
1.Check your basic autoplan for Underinsured limit, inverse liability etc (max them out, it is not that much more)
2.Good idea to check your work/life insurance before you go (especially loss of work)
3.Program the insurance companies 1800# into your phone.
4.Have a spare credit card if you want to dot the is and cross the ts.
+ 1
to underinsured motorist coverage
I think for me its an extra $2 a month, and it will cover me in case a motorist is not insured(happens all the time in the states), or their coverage is not sufficient enough to cover my damages
__________________
Ruthless and Associates Inc
Serving Revscene proudly since 2008
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,980
Thanked 6,604 Times in 1,600 Posts
So I go to Autoplan a day before my trip, change my insurance, and then change it back when I'm back?
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
Throw yo paws in da air!
 
XplicitLuder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: State of Trance
Posts: 5,123
Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
wouldn't it be easier to go in and ask them ?
__________________

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts


2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #8
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: GTA
Posts: 28,418
Thanked 9,928 Times in 4,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
wouldn't it be easier to go in and ask them ?
No, that's too hard. Why put in the time and effort to find out when Revscene's knowledge base is much more powerful and legitimate than ICBCs. Where have you been all your life, son?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Most kids are trash nowadays. I blame the weak ass parenting that led to this culture of entitled, spoiled, and utterly useless human beings.

I would never hire anyone who's born in the 2000's. you people can just go fuck right off.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Throw yo paws in da air!
 
XplicitLuder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: State of Trance
Posts: 5,123
Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
I figured but its hard to know when you've had me locked in my room these last couple of years
Posted via RS Mobile
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
swfk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,782
Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Bump from the dead. Need some advice from you guys.

I was rear ended in the states at a stand still and pushed into the car in front. Police report states that I was pushed into the car in front by the rear car.

Now ICBC is repairing my car. However my (and the gf's) injury claims will be dealt between us and Statefarm (the fault party's insurer). We have a consultation with the lawyer on Friday.

Anyone have experience dealing with American insurance companies? They're private so I'm assuming they will reduce their payout to me to the smallest possible amount. Is there a diminished value claim on my car I can get? It's less than a year old, fuck. Also pain and suffering claims?
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 8,389
Thanked 14,664 Times in 3,851 Posts
I don't see why you should have to deal with the other company at all. Icbc should be the one paying you and icbc deals with out of province insurance companies? I'm pretty sure that's how it was dealt with when my buddies gti got sideswiped by a big rig in a parking lot (he wasn't even in the car, trailer was Ontario plate)
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/4PRtABe.gif
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try
 
trollguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ☺
Posts: 5,011
Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
just based on my understanding.. i could be wrong but:

ICBC should be dealing with your injury claim (part 7 benefits) which includes any med. treatments..

for general damages, you may need to use your lawyer to settle with statefarm about that.
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #13
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
swfk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,782
Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
ICBC said the fault party's insurer (Statefarm) is responsible for my payout if there's any claims(other than vehicle repair) I'd like to file against the fault party.

Usual circumstance in a local accident is that both parties are with ICBC therefore ICBC will do it for the victims.

So now I need to fight with Statefarm.

Last edited by swfk; 08-19-2015 at 05:35 PM.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 916
Thanked 692 Times in 227 Posts
Uh... There is a thing called subrogation where ICBC files a claim on your behalf.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
swfk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,782
Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
Uh... There is a thing called subrogation where ICBC files a claim on your behalf.
Uh.. they are already filing the claim on my behalf to fix the vehicle.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:09 PM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond
Posts: 8,389
Thanked 14,664 Times in 3,851 Posts
So then what's the problem
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/4PRtABe.gif
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:17 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Okanagan
Posts: 15,960
Thanked 8,607 Times in 3,719 Posts
I'm guessing injury.
__________________
1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC // 2007 Toyota Rav4 V6 // 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Timpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 20,300
Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
+ 1
to underinsured motorist coverage
I think for me its an extra $2 a month, and it will cover me in case a motorist is not insured(happens all the time in the states), or their coverage is not sufficient enough to cover my damages
I thought underinsured coverage was included in ICBC car insurance? I thought it was a motorcycle insurance you need to buy underinsured insurance.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #19
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
swfk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,782
Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
No need to guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post
Bump from the dead. Need some advice from you guys.

I was rear ended in the states at a stand still and pushed into the car in front. Police report states that I was pushed into the car in front by the rear car.

Now ICBC is repairing my car. However my (and the gf's) injury claims will be dealt between us and Statefarm (the fault party's insurer). We have a consultation with the lawyer on Friday.

Anyone have experience dealing with American insurance companies? They're private so I'm assuming they will reduce their payout to me to the smallest possible amount. Is there a diminished value claim on my car I can get? It's less than a year old, fuck. Also pain and suffering claims?
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #20
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
nns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,144
Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
One of my high school classmate's family suffered a tragic accident down south in the NY State.. parents died and sister maimed.. It was a multi million $ verdict; but because the other driver was not insured, he just declared bankruptcy and there wasn't much to get back. It was really traumatic and tough when you were 19 years old and got admitted to medical school but couldn't attend or defer.
OT, but how is your friend now? Sounds awful.
__________________
nns
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:08 PM   #21
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N49.2 W122.1
Posts: 6,176
Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It was many decades ago. None of us have the life experience or wealth like we have now.

However my friend did made through, part time studies and working and seeing his sister through physio etc. US universities were a lot more compassionate, he got into Wayne State and now a ER doc in the Golden horse shoe area. Took an extra decade or so if nothing had happened, but just have to work at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
OT, but how is your friend now? Sounds awful.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #22
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N49.2 W122.1
Posts: 6,176
Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It only includes 1 million.

I had a dentist friend who got into an accident, out of work for a year.. ICBC paid out 8 million for all the lawyers, docs etc etc. All said and done after 5 years. 2 mill is peanuts.

Also it covers if you are riding a bike or just walking the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
I thought underinsured coverage was included in ICBC car insurance? I thought it was a motorcycle insurance you need to buy underinsured insurance.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:15 PM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Timpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 20,300
Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
It only includes 1 million.

I had a dentist friend who got into an accident, out of work for a year.. ICBC paid out 8 million for all the lawyers, docs etc etc. All said and done after 5 years.
Unlike other insurance companies, ICBC does not have unlimited coverage.
I believe ICBC's coverage option only goes up to 5 million.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:21 PM   #24
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N49.2 W122.1
Posts: 6,176
Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
No ICBC underinsured motorists only cover 2 mill.

but in my friend's case and for most professionals (docs, lawyers, engineers) that have professional designations and organizations.. their work insurance coverage covers that.

ICBC is only part of the safety net, in life you have to have multiples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Unlike other insurance companies, ICBC does not have unlimited coverage.
I believe ICBC's coverage option only goes up to 5 million.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net