REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Ohkun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: YVR
Posts: 2,056
Thanked 592 Times in 62 Posts
Speed Violation Ticket issued to 'Ower' of Vehicle

Hi,

I got pulled over doing bit over 60 on 50 zone.

She asked if I'm the registered owner of my car.
Police officer said she will give me a break and issuing ticket to 'owner' of vehicle instead of the 'driver'.


According to her, if I just pay it off, it doesn't show up on my record in any way and there's no point given.
If this is true, I'll be glad to pay off $113($134-$25) and forget about it.


I know it works similar in red light camera, but I just didn't know if it works same with speeding ticket.
Advertisement
Ohkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Throw yo paws in da air!
 
XplicitLuder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: State of Trance
Posts: 5,032
Thanked 2,721 Times in 934 Posts
don't you gotta pay anyways? so just pay it and forget about it lol
__________________

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts


2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
PRINCESS
 
MeowMeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mushroom Castle
Posts: 1,521
Thanked 790 Times in 344 Posts
Yeah works same like red light camera situation
My friend prepping to be a firefighter went to the court and asked the judge to change his speeding ticket to the one that gets issued to the owner so he doesn't get points
That way his license wouldn't be suspended and he wouldn't have to do his N all over again
Judge was nice enough to change it for him for I think 2 tickets.
MeowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
ancient_510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 345
Thanked 206 Times in 109 Posts
I've done this before In court, not at the roadside.

The officer and I negotiated and he rewrote the ticket to me as the registered owner instead of the operator so I didn't contaminate my professional drivers record.

$138 and no points as opposed to $198 and 3 points? Good deal (especially when probably wouldn't have won in court).
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS
 
blee123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lala land
Posts: 2,155
Thanked 217 Times in 118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joh View Post
Hi,

I got pulled over doing bit over 60 on 50 zone.

She asked if I'm the registered owner of my car.
Police officer said she will give me a break and issuing ticket to 'owner' of vehicle instead of the 'driver'.


According to her, if I just pay it off, it doesn't show up on my record in any way and there's no point given.
If this is true, I'll be glad to pay off $113($134-$25) and forget about it.


I know it works similar in red light camera, but I just didn't know if it works same with speeding ticket.
don't the points then go towards the owner of the vehicle?

for example: if you were driving your mom's car and u get pulled over and they issue the ticket to your "mom" instead of you, doesnt the points go towards your mom?

how does this thing work?
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
PRINCESS
 
MeowMeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mushroom Castle
Posts: 1,521
Thanked 790 Times in 344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
don't the points then go towards the owner of the vehicle?

for example: if you were driving your mom's car and u get pulled over and they issue the ticket to your "mom" instead of you, doesnt the points go towards your mom?

how does this thing work?
From what I'm aware of owners don't get points. Just a ticket.
Cuz with my friend's incident he got the ticket and he was the owner of the car.
Wouldn't make sense if he still got the points cuz then his license would have been suspended.
And from what I know of (and sure of) after his ticket got changed to owner's ticket he didn't receive points.
Hope that made sense.
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Ohkun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: YVR
Posts: 2,056
Thanked 592 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
don't the points then go towards the owner of the vehicle?

for example: if you were driving your mom's car and u get pulled over and they issue the ticket to your "mom" instead of you, doesnt the points go towards your mom?

how does this thing work?
from what I can understand, ticket is usually given to the 'owner' of vehicle when driver isn't clearly known. (ie. red light camera)

Since the driver is unknown, fine is issued to the owner of vehicle but record or point isn't given to anyone.

Anyways, in my case, it was clear who was 'driving' but officer issued it to the owner(still me tho) to give me a break of some sort.
Ohkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joh View Post
from what I can understand, ticket is usually given to the 'owner' of vehicle when driver isn't clearly known. (ie. red light camera)

Since the driver is unknown, fine is issued to the owner of vehicle but record or point isn't given to anyone.

Anyways, in my case, it was clear who was 'driving' but officer issued it to the owner(still me tho) to give me a break of some sort.
getting a ticket for going 60 in a 50 is still a pretty traffic nazi move, regadless of whether you were given a pass on the pts.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post
Yeah works same like red light camera situation
My friend prepping to be a firefighter went to the court and asked the judge to change his speeding ticket to the one that gets issued to the owner so he doesn't get points
That way his license wouldn't be suspended and he wouldn't have to do his N all over again
Judge was nice enough to change it for him for I think 2 tickets.
I think it is the police officer that has to agree to amend the ticket to the RO from the driver.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
I think it is the police officer that has to agree to amend the ticket to the RO from the driver.
Correct. Only the person who issued it has the right to change it.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 47
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Worked for me.
LP560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #12
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
A VT is a "ticket information" and a judge can only change it if the person who swore it requests, and then only if the judge agrees. If Police swore an information for a stolen property charge for someone stealing a car the judge can't decide to change it to "take without owner's consent" on his own.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net