REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #26
I don't get it

I'm actually jealous. I know I should be outraged but I'm actually jealous. These young guys rolling around in an F02 Alpina B7. If I had a B7 I'd feel like Hedonism Bot from Futurama.

Advertisement
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #27
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
Deport them back to their original country so they can endanger others there and not here...

*edit*

half-joking ... but seriously,

Or maybe go with a system that fines you based on your annual income, like in Finland.

Last edited by SB7; 04-10-2013 at 09:54 PM.
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #28
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
LOL.

Everytime this topic comes up people rage shit.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #29
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,273 Times in 275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
LOL.

Everytime this topic comes up people rage shit.

2004 E46 M3
2001 WRX STi (sold)
2003 Supercharged 350z (sold)
1991 R32 GTR (sold)
2000 Civic SiR (sold)
1990 Civic Si-T (sold)
1986 MK1 Mr2 (sold)
2005 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2003 CBR 600RR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098 track (sold)
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R (track build)
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamboda View Post
This is kinda funny because every single time one of these pops up, everyone jumps quick to being jelly because of "mommy and daddy's money". I mean honestly, we can be arguing all we want that CRUSH THEIR CARS YEAHH THAT'S GOING TO HURT THEM MORE THAN SMALL FINES. But we have to look at ourselves. That only sets the new standard. What's drinking and driving going to be now? The death sentence?

Yeah I'll jump to say that I think they need to be punished. However, maybe instead of punishing them, educate them. People need to think outside of the box. Sure, punishing them deters them from doing it again, but in reality they won't know the real reason why it's wrong. It's definitely better to teach them what's wrong. Send these guys to driving school. They'll eventually be back on the road anyways, why not correct their mistakes?
im not jealous at all actually, whether its my money or my parents. if its my parents, its a flat out lack of respect to them. if its my own money then im a fool.

crushing the cars may not hurt them at all, and if it does set a new standard then so be it. out of everyone on this site, im sure 99% of everyone would keep their cars. drinking and driving shouldnt be let off easy either. we've all had a beer or wine at dinner and driven home from somewhere, we all know our limits and stay within it, its called being responsible. those who fuck up should pay a severe fine.

i dont think educating them will do anything. look at all those videos about how fast food chains get their meat, how cosmetics are tested on poor animals who are strapped down so they cant move...people watch those movies and shrug them off (well...most of them), what good is educating someone who doesn't give a rats ass? they'll sit through the program of drivers training, do what they need to do to pass, and once they pass, they throw everything out the window and go back to doing whatever they want. either way they'll be on the road...

its like that old saying, "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink it.". you can force these kids to drivers ed, but you cant force them drive that way.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
What made the case few years ago with the blue Scuderia F430 at Cypress any different? That car got auctioned off whereas all these high profile speeding cases were only had cars impounded for 7 days + fines. I'm guessing the Ferrari owner was a repeated offender?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:37 AM   #32
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
The issue becomes how do we punish people?

"Don't drive" -> well, we know how effective that's gonna be
"Pay a fine and/or get points!" -> pay the fine, and then what?
"Jail time!" -> how much? One of the things that pisses me off about legislation on hot-topic issues is that it's so often disproportional to serious stuff. 'cause vehicular manslaughter can get you less jail time than animal cruelty.

Fickleness, thy name is citizenry.
in China you get 15 days jail time for driving without license
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
I'm down for that idea. Beats what they're getting now actually; impound + fine + pat on the back and get sent home.
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #34
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
two unlicensed teenagers with 500+hp cars ripping it down hwy 1 and using the shoulder to pass

good thing the police responded before they claimed a couple of lives...this could've gone down really badly if the weather condtions were poor like this morning.
just cause someone has a license doesn't mean they can drive. and on that flip side, just cause someone doesn't have a license, doesn't automatically mean they can't drive (maybe they've learnt before, maybe they've had a license in another country, etc). I don't have a hard time believing someone without a license might be a better driver than someone with one.
A 500hp car vs a 100hp car just means the 500hp can hit 130 faster. How much hp a car has won't stop someone from doing 130+.
Using the shoulder to pass, IMO, is better than when shitboxes or ricers cut people off to pass.
I'm not saying they don't deserve what they got. In fact I think its laughable what they got. A temporary ban from driving for someone who doesn't have a license?! wtf! Impounding the cars from people who can't be driving them by themselves anyway?! wtf!
but a)130 isn't that fast b)people drive that fast in shit cars, regular cars, expensive cars. I think it's shitty that we make such a big deal out of it when people drive fast in expensive cars.

You think it's just rich kids that drive recklessly without a license?

and a little offtopic, but, I had a friend who was a repeat drinking and driving offender. Finally, after getting pulled over multiple times, he got his license suspended, car impounded, and ordered to install breathalyzer. Turns out he got a defective breathalyzer, and so 2 months into his 1 year of breathalyzer, they uninstalled it and let him off. WTF.

We need stricter testing procedures for driver licensing, and harsher penalities. Drinking and driving, passing on the shoulder/cutting people off at a high speed; should all carry much harsher penalties
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 AM   #35
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstce92 View Post
just cause someone has a license doesn't mean they can drive. and on that flip side, just cause someone doesn't have a license, doesn't automatically mean they can't drive (maybe they've learnt before, maybe they've had a license in another country, etc). I don't have a hard time believing someone without a license might be a better driver than someone with one.
A 500hp car vs a 100hp car just means the 500hp can hit 130 faster. How much hp a car has won't stop someone from doing 130+.
Using the shoulder to pass, IMO, is better than when shitboxes or ricers cut people off to pass.
I'm not saying they don't deserve what they got. In fact I think its laughable what they got. A temporary ban from driving for someone who doesn't have a license?! wtf! Impounding the cars from people who can't be driving them by themselves anyway?! wtf!
but a)130 isn't that fast b)people drive that fast in shit cars, regular cars, expensive cars. I think it's shitty that we make such a big deal out of it when people drive fast in expensive cars.

You think it's just rich kids that drive recklessly without a license?

and a little offtopic, but, I had a friend who was a repeat drinking and driving offender. Finally, after getting pulled over multiple times, he got his license suspended, car impounded, and ordered to install breathalyzer. Turns out he got a defective breathalyzer, and so 2 months into his 1 year of breathalyzer, they uninstalled it and let him off. WTF.

We need stricter testing procedures for driver licensing, and harsher penalities. Drinking and driving, passing on the shoulder/cutting people off at a high speed; should all carry much harsher penalties
One could argue that people in high performance vehicles should be able to drive faster. After all, they are built better, faster, safer, and probably handle better.

But that would be kind of elitist, wouldn't it
Old 04-11-2013, 04:00 AM   #36
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
lol 15 days driving prohibitions... you think they would care about that.. they drove without license already!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ the cops/prosecutors have to realize fines or impounding cars will do nothing to deter these foolish kids from endangering others. Since Asian care about "face" so much, post the pics of the speeders online or in the paper. Losing face is a much stronger motivator than losing a few grand. My 2 cents.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #38

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
I second this.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #39
I don't get it

In china, just pay a bit of $$$ to cops and ur off the hook.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #40
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

jail time would work better IMO.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #41
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Late to the thread, but I just wanted to mention that this happened on Saturday, and not Sunday. My wife and I drove by the stop at around 7pm, and they were still there at around 8:30.

Fast forward to 0:41

Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #42
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykopathik View Post
jail time would work better IMO.
+1. Jail time would be a better way to deter someone from excessive speeding. The problem is that our criminal justice system is weak sauce when it comes to the judges sentencing drivers for such infractions.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #43
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
There's so many of these incidents popping up every few months.. I think for next time we should just have an "unlicensed/improperly licensed kids speeding with six figure vehicles and getting busted megathread"
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #44

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamboda View Post
What's drinking and driving going to be now? The death sentence?
DUI Penalties Elsewhere

Bulgaria: A second conviction results in execution
El Salvador: Your first offense is your last---execution by firing squad

This, however, is by far the worst:
Poland: Jail, fine and forced to attend political lectures
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #45
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by striker_boi7 View Post
Deport them back to their original country so they can endanger others there and not here...

*edit*

half-joking ... but seriously,

Or maybe go with a system that fines you based on your annual income, like in Finland.
Except that they probably have 0 income here as their money is made overseas
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #46

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
- issuing driving prohibitions to people who don't have a licenses
- impounding cars that the people don't own
- issuing violation tickets to people who have unlimited cash flow

dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #47
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
DUI Penalties Elsewhere

i hope you realize those are all made up? you don't go to jail for a DUI in England, you will get a short term suspension for >1 offense (depending on the severity of the offense)
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i hope you realize those are all made up?
Sssshhhh, you're no fun at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
you don't go to jail for a DUI in England, you will get a short term suspension for >1 offense (depending on the severity of the offense)
Drunk driving law by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
United Kingdom: 80 mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood, 35 μg per 100ml of breath or 107 mg per 100ml of urine.[30] Scotland is currently running a public consultation on reducing the limit to 50 mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood.[31]
In the UK, driving or attempting to drive whilst above the legal limit or unfit through drink carries a maximum penalty of six months' imprisonment, a fine of up to £5,000 and a minimum 12 months' disqualification. For a second offence committed within ten years of conviction, the minimum ban is three years. Being in charge of a vehicle whilst over the legal limit or unfit through drink could result in three months' imprisonment plus a fine of up to £2,500 and a driving ban. Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink or drugs carries a maximum penalty of 14 years in prison, a minimum two-year driving ban and a requirement to pass an extended driving test before the offender is able to drive legally again.
It is an offence to refuse to provide a specimen of breath, blood or urine for analysis. The penalties for refusing are the same as those for actually drunk driving.
The offence of driving whilst under the influence of alcohol is one to which there is no defence, as such (although defences such as duress or automatism, which are not specific to the offence of driving with excess alcohol, may apply in certain rare circumstances). However, it may be possible to argue that special reasons exist which are such that you should not be disqualified from driving despite having committed the offence. Special reasons are notoriously difficult to establish and the burden of proof is always upon the accused to establish them. Such reasons may include:
shortness of distance driven
unintentional commission of the offense (i.e. laced drinks)
emergencies
Quote:

Last edited by Soundy; 04-11-2013 at 10:51 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #49
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
DUI Penalties Elsewhere

IIRC in China if you drink and drive its instant lose your license, 15-30 day jail time. There also no "legal driving limit". You drink, you get caught, you go to jail.

I think the legal limit thing is kind of stupid. Everyone has different tolerances. It's so hard to ... "Keep within the legal limit". Should make it drink=no drive.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #50

China: 0.02% (CNY 200–500 fine, 1–3 months license suspension); 0.08% (up to 15 days prison, 3–6 months license suspension, CNY 500-2000 fine) [1]
Beginning May 1, 2011, Chinese law now mandates a penal detention up to 6 months for any person convicted of drunken driving. (In China, penal detention is a criminal punishment similar to, but less severe than, imprisonment.)
Hong Kong: 0.05% or BrAC 0.22 mg/L or urine 0.067%. Driving under the influence of alcohol beyond legal limit is punishable with a monetary fine and up to three years imprisonment, with 10 driving-offense points and mandatory Driving Improvement Course.
Quote: