REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Frequent texters tend to be shallow (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682910-frequent-texters-tend-shallow.html)

AW607 04-12-2013 08:20 PM

Frequent texters tend to be shallow

Interesting read, but really surprised as how some people are capable of sending more than 300 texts a day? :fulloffuck:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBC News
Young adults who send text messages more than 100 times a day tend to be more interested in wealth and image than leading an ethical life, researchers in Winnipeg have found.

http://thumbnails.cbc.ca/maven_legac...2376426710.jpg

A study from the University of Winnipeg suggests that students who text that much are 30 per cent less likely to feel strongly that leading an "ethical, principled life" was important to them, compared to those who text 50 times or less a day.

Heavy texters also showed higher levels of ethnic prejudice, according to psychology professors Paul Trapnell and Lisa Sinclair, who recently presented their findings at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology conference in New Orleans.

As part of the study, 2,300 first-year psychology students completed one-hour online surveys in which they were asked about their personality traits and life goals, as well as how frequently they texted.

The surveys were conducted at the start of the fall semester for three years in a row.

The surveys found that about 30 per cent of students reported texting 200 or more times a day, while 12 per cent said they sent texts more than 300 times a day.

Those who texted frequently "tended to be significantly less reflective than those who texted less often," the reseachers said.

“There may be changes in the culture that people are slightly less reflective than they used to be, but overall, that may not be a bad thing,” Trapnell said Friday. “We don’t know yet.”

Testing theory from The Shallows

The study was done to test the "shallowing hypothesis" described in Nicholas Carr's 2010 book The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains.

According to the theory, the heavy use of texting and Twitter — both ultra-brief social media technologies — has made people's thought processes more superficial because it encourages rapid and relatively shallow thinking.

"The values and traits most closely associated with texting frequency are surprisingly consistent with Carr's conjecture that new information and social media technologies may be displacing and discouraging reflective thought," Trapnell stated in a news release.

"We still don't know the exact cause of these modest but consistent associations, but we think they warrant further study. We were surprised, however, that so little research has been done to directly test this important claim."

Trapnell and Sinclair also carried out a laboratory study in which some students texted, some spoke on their cellphones and some did neither.

All the students who participated were then rated on how they felt about different social groups. Those who had been texting rated minority groups more negatively than the others, according to the researchers.

Despite their findings, Trapnell and Sinclair don't see any reason to panic right now about a "morally shallow" generation, saying heavy texting and social media use by young adults in the so-called "digital native" generation hasn't stopped them from being as "tolerant and accepting of human diversity" as past generations.

Frequent texters tend to be shallow, research suggests - Manitoba - CBC News

MeowMeow 04-12-2013 08:23 PM

I send 100 a week
:alone:

spoon.ek9 04-12-2013 08:25 PM

correlation does not imply causation. the simple act of texting alone doesn't make a person shallow. I'd say it has more to do with their upbringing and the content of their texts.

Noir 04-12-2013 08:25 PM

Hmm, is this another shot at individuals who are highly active in their mobile? (because I think I've seen this a lot in the R&G discussion.) Anyhow my observation: I find that people who complain about texting are people who rarely ever get texts on their mobile phone.

Sure, let's play it off as your inactivity as politeness towards me, but that's not really fooling anyone.

Graeme S 04-12-2013 08:27 PM

I'm curious if things like whatsapp, BBM, LINE or any of those other chat programs were included in the study.

I don't text that much, but lordy lord do I use those things.

StylinRed 04-12-2013 08:30 PM

the professor doesn't own a cell phone btw (saw it on the news earlier)

AW607 04-12-2013 08:30 PM

I tend to be fine with frequent texters, but people who whip out their phones to text during a meal or right in the middle of a conversation are the worst :rukidding:

Gnomes 04-12-2013 08:32 PM

But with whatsapp, sometimes it becomes live chat and extended conversations with immediate responses as seen with msn/skype.

knight604 04-12-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeowMeow (Post 8210631)
I send 100 a week
:alone:

Ill send you a 100 a day if thats what it takes

:ifyouknow:

bloodmack 04-12-2013 08:34 PM

stupid "study" is stupid.

JayEch 04-12-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 8210634)
correlation does not imply causation. the simple act of texting alone doesn't make a person shallow. I'd say it has more to do with their upbringing and the content of their texts.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/correlation.png

VRYALT3R3D 04-12-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AW607 (Post 8210645)
I tend to be fine with frequent texters, but people who whip out their phones to text during a meal or right in the middle of a conversation are the worst :rukidding:

The people who text while driving are the worse. Fucking a-holes.

Unsent text message, typed before fatal crash, warns of dangers of texting and driving | CTV News

kwy 04-12-2013 08:42 PM

I only send upwards of 100-200 on days where a lot of event planning b/w friends is necessary..otherwise typically 50-100/day. There was a time long ago when my phone plan included 50 texts per month../shudder.

xilley 04-12-2013 08:43 PM

I m Shallow.

Tim Budong 04-12-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 8210663)
I m Shallow.

im with you on this one

what a joke of a "study"

stewie 04-12-2013 08:56 PM

I can easily have 100 texts sent before 10am...

50% of my texts are between my buddies and the conversation goes like this:
Me - jackass
Friend - go fuck yourself
Me - eat my asshole dink face

Etc

The other 50% go to gf, other girls(nothing to do with hitting or flirting with them), and co workers.

I personally hate talking on the phone, I can text back and forth for hours, but put me on the phone and I can barely form a sentence lol.
Posted via RS Mobile

dinosaur 04-12-2013 09:05 PM

I send and receive a ridiculous amount of texts daily....but they are almost all work related. It is much easier than having my phone ring continuously.

FerrariEnzo 04-12-2013 09:11 PM

remember the article about the police taking away cell phones while driving and texting... :suspicious:

Razor Ramon HG 04-12-2013 09:15 PM

I text a lot and I am pretty shallow, although I am working on it.

But still, correlation does not imply causation.

Dumb article.
Posted via RS Mobile

TOS'd 04-12-2013 09:23 PM

I took a stats class before. :woot2:

bballguy 04-12-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 8210682)
I can easily have 100 texts sent before 10am...

50% of my texts are between my buddies and the conversation goes like this:
Me - jackass
Friend - go fuck yourself
Me - eat my asshole dink face

Etc

Wow, that must never get boring.......

Ulic Qel-Droma 04-12-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8210644)
the professor doesn't own a cell phone btw (saw it on the news earlier)

He will die off with the rest that refuse to adapt. His kind is obsolete. Discarded without second thought, like an old computer. the irony in that hahaha

Energy 04-12-2013 10:32 PM

I send a lot of texts because my texts are kind of like chats. Like a long sentence cut into smaller pieces if that makes sense haha.

Its free anyway through imessage or whatsapp so why not.

twitchyzero 04-12-2013 11:35 PM

most of my chats are through apps like line
hardly use SMS
when I receive one every now and then it's like

'cool someone texted me'

*opens text*

'Rogers is offering unlimited data for a low price of $7.99. Click here to see the offer'
:alone::okay:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 8210637)
Anyhow my observation: I find that people who complain about texting are people who rarely ever get texts on their mobile phone.

Sure, let's play it off as your inactivity as politeness towards me, but that's not really fooling anyone.

umm okay. So you have lots of people trying to reach you...how does that relate to having manners and respect again?

stewie 04-12-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballguy (Post 8210751)
Wow, that must never get boring.......

Actually it doesn't, when you've been friends for almost 20 years you can say virtually anything and get a reply :)
Posted via RS Mobile