REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   LF: Engine Swap Shop (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682958-lf-engine-swap-shop.html)

MindBomber 07-17-2013 09:24 PM

A RSX-S is less expensive than a K20a2 swap into a 7th Gen, which is the least expensive K i would consider.

A crower stage 1 cam ($350) in a D17a2 head with i/h/e will match the whp of a k20a3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8283660)
Honestly I feel Honda missed an opportunity to supply crate engines like Ford or GM supplies small 4cylinders turn key solution with ECU etc. as aftermarket solution... but they did manage to sell all the engines they had made.

I've long thought this.

Honda does sell small 'crate' engines, however, so I'm certain the market simply does not exist for crate engines analogous to GM and Ford's offerings. The reason being precisely that... "old school hotrodders are often older and have way deeper pockets" (to borrow your words).

The_AK 07-17-2013 09:48 PM

^d17a1 inside, going to scrap the whole idea and just get something new come october

godwin 07-17-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8283667)
no significance, I'm just debating whether to sell, do the repairs necessary for its time and sell, do the repairs and keep, or do an engine rebuild and throw a turbo in... only to get like 210 hp... very poor engine

Then just service it minimally and sell it unmolested.. Any modern turbo engine will beat any bolt on in terms of efficiency, power and reliability.

fliptuner 07-17-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8283683)
^d17a1 inside, going to scrap the whole idea and just get something new come october

Like I said, sell it and get a better car/platform.

Xenth 10-19-2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8283667)
no significance, I'm just debating whether to sell, do the repairs necessary for its time and sell, do the repairs and keep, or do an engine rebuild and throw a turbo in... only to get like 210 hp... very poor engine

after looking at a few k20a3s going for like 1000~1300 with the ecu and tranny i thought it might be worth the cost since their lower mileage too but all the little things start to add up Really quickly. not to mention kpro itself will be around 1000

The cost of the motor is the least of your worries if you aren't doing the swap yourself, it cost me 7500 to build my k swap and its basic, k20a2 with header, cai, and kpro. Sure the motor,tranny, rsx s parts cost me 4000 in total after shipping(from states) and the other add parts cost 3500, however; I was doing the swap myself, the cost of labour for a kswap would be pretty insane I would think.

Don't forget the fact that little things add up (ie, you want a tucked wiring harness or you want brake lines to be reloacted inside the dash or you dont want a stock harness, you want rywire for the super clean look, it all costs time and money).

GS8 10-19-2013 05:49 PM

So are the shops mentioned in the first page still good? Realized this thread is a bit old.

Already made contact with Speed Syndicate. Just looking to install an intercooler, rockers and headers on my Regal GS.

Just wasn't sure if they can tune just anything. Also, do they have a dyno?

Xenth 10-19-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8342709)
So are the shops mentioned in the first page still good? Realized this thread is a bit old.

Already made contact with Speed Syndicate. Just looking to install an intercooler, rockers and headers on my Regal GS.

I've had no experience with speed syndicate, but my experience with evolution auto was great. Kevin did good job tuning my k20a2 and I'm sure would have done a great job installing upgrades had I needed help.

cohan 10-23-2013 02:30 PM

Alex and his crew at speed syndicate did my b16 rebuild. I am happy with it. Engine sound good as new now.

k3lv 11-05-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8342709)

We do not have a dyno at The Speed Syndicate.