REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   LF: Engine Swap Shop (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682958-lf-engine-swap-shop.html)

reyan 04-14-2013 02:04 PM

LF: Engine Swap Shop

Hello,

Could someone list some shops that I could get a swap done? Or simply link me to the correct thread? Thanks so much - I just moved here and don't know too many places. Location does not matter

Regards

EvoLove 04-14-2013 02:28 PM

i would suggest The Speed Syndicate they are on 6915 Russell Avenue in burnaby

dyan 04-14-2013 03:35 PM

^

They have a new location. 6879 Antrim Ave

european 04-14-2013 04:25 PM

.:: garage five performance tuning online - v0.99
A&J Racing
Gearheads Online
The Speed Syndicate | making fast cars… faster!
Evolution Auto Sound and Performance
RG - Racing Greed

Just a few shops that I can think of that may be able to accommodate your needs. Not 100% sure if RG does swaps. I hope this info helps

Cheers
Mike

reyan 04-14-2013 04:51 PM

Thanks everyone, exactly what I was looking for. Time to start making calls

BBMme 04-14-2013 06:13 PM

Can't go wrong with speed syndicate
Posted via RS Mobile

EvoLove 04-15-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbaddie (Post 8212023)
^

They have a new location. 6879 Antrim Ave

lol my bad i took the address off there website

fliptuner 04-29-2013 11:38 PM

What engine, what chassis?

westopher 05-01-2013 03:24 PM

The vehicle specifics could help everyone give you a much more complete list. Engine swaps can be pretty involved and complex, and I wouldn't take my porsche (I don't have a porsche:okay:) to a shop that specializes in toyotas for something like that.

fliptuner 05-01-2013 03:56 PM

Exactly.

Take nothing away from the shops that have already been recommended but if you have a VW, I'd be recommending a different set of shops than if you had an RX7.

adevita 05-23-2013 11:06 PM

Bernes auto repair in coquitlam, theyre doing a new motor swap for my 350z, they arent a full hi performance shop but i love them for everything else.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Berne...988?ref=stream

if you go there tell them anthony with the 350z brought you there

El Bastardo 05-27-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adevita (Post 8244690)
Bernes auto repair in coquitlam, theyre doing a new motor swap for my 350z, they arent a full hi performance shop but i love them for everything else.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Berne...988?ref=stream

if you go there tell them anthony with the 350z brought you there

I called this guy and he came off like kind of a dick. Not only did he tell me hes gonna charge me more than the average customer but that he "wasn't really interested" in the work.

I suppose it saved me the trouble of paying for a disappointing experience by someone who isn't interested in doing what I ask of him but god damn.

adevita 06-12-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 8247125)
I called this guy and he came off like kind of a dick. Not only did he tell me hes gonna charge me more than the average customer but that he "wasn't really interested" in the work.

I suppose it saved me the trouble of paying for a disappointing experience by someone who isn't interested in doing what I ask of him but god damn.

He seemed really nice to me and was way cheaper than everyone else, he did a swap for a friend of mine to

The_AK 07-15-2013 10:54 AM

Any shop in particular to look for if doing engine swap for civic? (04 civic lx <-- k20a?)

XplicitLuder 07-15-2013 05:50 PM

i believe garage five specializes in hondas. But when i went to them for a timing belt job..they seemed uninterested as i was quoted a huge amount for it unlike the other sponsors..made me go "well fk u then" lol but w/e hope it works out for you

Spectre_Cdn 07-15-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8281666)
Any shop in particular to look for if doing engine swap for civic? (04 civic lx <-- k20a?)

Evo Garage?

El Bastardo 07-16-2013 07:12 AM

MDA Fabrication in Richmond. Go talk to Mac and see what he has to say about it. All I saw was Hondas when I was there last.

The_AK 07-16-2013 05:33 PM

Where would be the best place to start looking for engines?

negative.one 07-16-2013 06:05 PM

anyone know a shop that would be willing to do an ls1 swap into a 240/silvia?

godwin 07-17-2013 12:04 AM

It depends on what you are looking for. Since Honda engines are simple, I suggest considering building the engine yourself from long block up.

I would suggest not to get any engine has not been not rebuilt by anyone you absolutely trust.

When I need an engine, I bring a small compressor and a leak down tester to junkyard to test for compression etc. But it really depends on the wreck. I expect to tire down the engine anyways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8282805)
Where would be the best place to start looking for engines?

godwin 07-17-2013 12:07 AM

For the sake of simplicity I suggest you consider the LS3 ERod instead.. it makes hooking up things so much more straightforward and you save on labour on the long run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by negative.one (Post 8282825)
anyone know a shop that would be willing to do an ls1 swap into a 240/silvia?

godwin 07-17-2013 12:17 AM

If you think about from the shop's perspective, people who want engine swaps are often young adults with limited means and often very little understanding of the minute details needed in a swap and/or worse how business works.

The shop have to put in tons of labour that can't be recouped easily if the client complained or worst bailed. What are you going to do with the car?

Quick servicing cars, put on off the shelf bolt on parts are way more profitable and secure.. not to mention less hassle to deal with.

From that perspective, I understand why old school Big3 hotrod shop survive (although out in the valley) vs imports. The clientele of old school hotrodders are often older and have way deeper pockets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XplicitLuder (Post 8281967)
i believe garage five specializes in hondas. But when i went to them for a timing belt job..they seemed uninterested as i was quoted a huge amount for it unlike the other sponsors..made me go "well fk u then" lol but w/e hope it works out for you

The_AK 07-17-2013 08:37 PM

made some calls, not worth it =@ ugh i hate my d series

godwin 07-17-2013 09:08 PM

That's what I was going to say next.. does the car has special significance to you? Civics are dime an dozen.

Post 2000 engine ECUs are more involved with things like ABS / Traction etc. Not just engine control but AirCare.

Honestly I feel Honda missed an opportunity to supply crate engines like Ford or GM supplies small 4cylinders turn key solution with ECU etc. as aftermarket solution... but they did manage to sell all the engines they had made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 8283640)
made some calls, not worth it =@ ugh i hate my d series

The_AK 07-17-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8283660)
That's what I was going to say next.. does the car has special significance to you? Civics are dime an dozen.

Post 2000 engine ECUs are more involved with things like ABS / Traction etc. Not just engine control but AirCare.

Honestly I feel Honda missed an opportunity to supply crate engines like Ford or GM supplies small 4cylinders turn key solution with ECU etc. as aftermarket solution... but they did manage to sell all the engines they had made.

no significance, I'm just debating whether to sell, do the repairs necessary for its time and sell, do the repairs and keep, or do an engine rebuild and throw a turbo in... only to get like 210 hp... very poor engine

after looking at a few k20a3s going for like 1000~1300 with the ecu and tranny i thought it might be worth the cost since their lower mileage too but all the little things start to add up Really quickly. not to mention kpro itself will be around 1000