REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyobaru View Post
I think Generation Y has got to be the worst generation. Generation Y is too spoiled with technology and forgot what it is like to interact with reality. A good percentage of people in Generation Y are too sheltered by computers and often stay home and game. They forgot what it means to go out in a park to play catch with your buddies or shoot a few hoops.

With the uprising of cellphones and instant messaging the way we socialize has gone down the drain. Don't want to have to deal with someones tone of voice? simple text. Get a reply, and you can ignore it. Yes cell phones and instant messaging has taken snobbyness to the next level. Don't even get me started with the dating scene. Online dating? What a Joke.

People in Generation Y don't know what it means to love anymore. Back when it was about commitment, getting married, and raising a family. Its no longer like that these days. The length of how long people stay married is getting shorter and shorter. Don't like something about your partner? Move on to the next. This generation has forgotten what it means to work on things and improve.

Generation Y is too used to having things handed to them. They still mooch off their parents. I can name too many classmates I gradded with who are still stuck in Langara taking English, psychology, math, and getting babysat. We are a group that's just lacking a lot of motivation to do something with their lives.

-A person from Generation Y, Baby Boomer at heart. I was born in the wrong era.
Totally agreed. People would rather text than call each other. Everywhere you go, you see people glued to their cell phones texting away. I'm old school, I like calling people and talking for 2 minutes rather than texting 20 messages to get the same thing across. Technology and social media have made people people more complacent, lazy and stupid. Look at all these people that have to update the world about every damn thing they do like we care

When I was a kid, I was always trying go outside to play sports and get out of the house. When I look at my street, I barely see any kids outside. The kids would rather be cooped up inside playing WOW or COD or sitting on their asses and watching TV.

I also know quite a few people who are my age and still mooching off their parents, it's pretty sad but it's the parents fault for enabling their kids. If you're going to keep handing out money to people who lack any motivation to get their life together, nothing will change.

The way it is now, everything is about being flashy. Who has the nicest car, clothes, cell phones etc... People are basically just whoring themselves out for attention and acceptance, that's the the type of world that we live in now.
Advertisement
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #27
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Interesting topic.

National Geographic has this special going on right now:

Review: National Geographic's 'The '80s' gets the decade just right - latimes.com

I saw the first 2 hours of it (separated into 1hr episodes) and it definitely brings things into perspective of when things started to change...
the_law82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
Totally agreed. People would rather text than call each other. Everywhere you go, you see people glued to their cell phones texting away. I'm old school, I like calling people and talking for 2 minutes rather than texting 20 messages to get the same thing across. Technology and social media have made people people more complacent, lazy and stupid. Look at all these people that have to update the world about every damn thing they do like we care

When I was a kid, I was always trying go outside to play sports and get out of the house. When I look at my street, I barely see any kids outside. The kids would rather be cooped up inside playing WOW or COD or sitting on their asses and watching TV.

I also know quite a few people who are my age and still mooching off their parents, it's pretty sad but it's the parents fault for enabling their kids. If you're going to keep handing out money to people who lack any motivation to get their life together, nothing will change.

The way it is now, everything is about being flashy. Who has the nicest car, clothes, cell phones etc... People are basically just whoring themselves out for attention and acceptance, that's the the type of world that we live in now.
lol, you are parroting the same arguments and complaints people have made for centuries while adding nothing of value or meaning

"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly."
- Bertrand Russell

"'The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt forauthority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in lace of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of theirhouseholds. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up daintiesat the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.'"
-Socrates
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,823 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post

texting let's the other party respond when they are available. I don't have voice mail so if I'm unavailable to pick up your call I'd rather you text. I know it's urgent when you call more than once in a short period of time. It's more about convenience than it is lazy/stupid.

So the newer generation you claim is not as physically active, how does that affect your place in society? It's a stretch to say they'll all have diabetes/obesity/cardiovascular problems that'll burden the future health care system.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #30
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

no the world is just more corrupt now and people cant accept that
jack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack3d View Post
no the world is just more corrupt now and people cant accept that
HA!