REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,439 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
My whole point is that our government taxes the shit out of us already, we don't complain, but when the US even start to talk about introducing a tax to level the supply/demand playing field, ppl will start to be up in arms.

The US is there to look after their own people, and rightfully so - Canadians are taking advantage of a strong cdn dollar buy doing a lot of shopping in the US, why not make them pay a premium for that privilege, especially when the US government needs the funds to pay for border guards who 'police' entrants to their great nation? (And if u disagree that their nation is great, then I hope ur not a cross border shopper, bc that would be two faced)
2 points..

1.) It's good to see that you like to pay more money to whoever the fuck wants it, because I sure don't. We already get fucked by the USA if you forgot.. We sell them our lumber & our oil just to buy it all back at a massive premium.

2.) So we have to pay them to get into their country, but they get a free ride in Canada? To be blunt.. FUCK THAT. Our tourism industry is shit because of OUR govt, just because they have pushed away the cruiseships, the move industry, etc. And I can't really see that the minimal amount of 'muricans help provide so much money into our economy.
Advertisement
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #27
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 18,394 Times in 3,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post

2.) So we have to pay them to get into their country, but they get a free ride in Canada? To be blunt.. FUCK THAT. Our tourism industry is shit because of OUR govt, just because they have pushed away the cruiseships, the move industry, etc. And I can't really see that the minimal amount of 'muricans help provide so much money into our economy.
Heres a number of the visitors to Canada in February 2013 by country of origin. Maybe you want to rethink how much you believe American tourists pump money into our economy.
Australia 11,460
Brazil 5,175
China 20,850
France 25,090
Germany 11,490
India 6,082
Japan 14,415
Mexico 6,722
South Korea 7,612
United Kingdom 29,348
United States 525,690
We depend on America as a substantial source of income in this country. I think its important to not let the "hey fuck you too" mentality to come into play with the relationship. Pick your battles.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #28

^^ Fair enough.

Here's a nice 2009-2011 Statistic:
The Canada-U.S. border: by the numbers - Canada - CBC News

Lets compare Canadians going to the USA, and Americans coming to Canada.. I see we practically DOUBLE on everything.

I'm assuming your statistics would also be biased just for the fact of 525,690 would account for US Citizens WORKING in Canada and traveling across the border. Not just tourists.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #29
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 18,394 Times in 3,972 Posts
Lets say that is the case. Even if somehow 480000 of those numbers are cross border workers (which it obviously isn't) They would still be the highest # of entries. We double them in tourists, because being a substantially larger population, they have more to offer than us when it comes to buying power, big cities, tourist destinations, and not to mention better weather. However, that has nothing to do with the fact that if we knee jerk react to this, we will fuck our shitty tourism even more. If anything, this deterrent of the 6 dollar fee could help canada. I mean, I don't give a fuck about 6 bucks, but some people wouldn't head to the states out of spite, and they will spend the money in Canada. More money spent in canada=more taxes paid in canada=more money in the canadian economy, etc. Again, not saying it doesn't piss me off a bit to have to pay for America to handle its own issues, but I'm not going to support the idea of cutting off my nose to spite my face.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #30

Fair enough.

If this does go through, and businesses get charged this same fee. Hopefully our lumber/oil companies will stop sending business down to the USA and open up they're own refining plants up here.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #31
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Curious: how many of the people opposed to this tax are also opposed to taxes on services they don't use? Translink subsidies, carbon taxes, all that jazz.

'Cause I mean, a lot of people protest about taxes saying that we should charge the people who use the services the actual costs of them. So, I mean...isn't that what this is doing? Isn't a move towards user fees more fair to everyone on the whole?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
If you're taking that much time to go down but only save $5 picking up packages and gas...Man, you're doing it wrong.
For me it's not really to save money. It's to get access to way more parts than you can buy in Canada on US Ebay and US sites. That, and I live 5 minutes from the border, have Nexus and it's quick and easy.

I'm definatley not doing it wrong, I've been hopping the border more or less weekly for the last 5 years for various reasons.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,938 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
2 points..

1.) It's good to see that you like to pay more money to whoever the fuck wants it, because I sure don't. We already get fucked by the USA if you forgot.. We sell them our lumber & our oil just to buy it all back at a massive premium.

Great points, lets see how well Canada's economy does by pissing off the US, by going protectionist, etc.

Canada relies on the US, Canada is so lucky to be so close in both geography and in culture to the US, without that our economy would be resource only - which isn't a good thing.

Please don't respond to this post, I don't want to argue with u on this point
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #34

Thanked 1,299 Times in 535 Posts
No fees for Canadians to drive into US | News1130

Quote:
a US Senate committee rejected a proposal to collect fees at land border crossings.

Government House Leader Peter Van Loan says he’s pleased the potential fees have been quashed. He says they would have damaged the Canadian and US economies.

The US Department of Homeland Security had wanted Congress to authorize the study of a fee that could be collected from everyone entering the US from Canada and Mexico.

But yesterday, the Senate judiciary committee voted to amend the Immigration Reform Bill to ban such a fee.
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #35
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 2,189 Times in 983 Posts
That's good news. The fee proposal was a stupid idea.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #36
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,028 Posts
Good news indeed.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #37
Need to Seek Professional Help

Canadians and US border towns alike rejoice!
RS_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #38
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,045 Times in 840 Posts
this would never have passed to begin with.. almost belongs in the 'no need to start a new thread thread'

'00 323i (Sold)
'01 Civic Si (Sold)
'95 240sx (Sold)
'02 LMB M5 (Sold)
'92 4Runner (Sold)
'92 Civic VX (Sold)
'03 SL500 (Sold)
'92 NSX
'99 M3 (Totalled)
'07 A4 2.0T (Sold)
'01 CB M5 (Sold)
'01 540i (Sold)