REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Looking to Build a Deck on my Front Lawn.

After long realizing that I'll probably never be able to afford something like this.... I figured I'd do some poor mans reno to make the house look a little nicer.

40813 Government Road - West Vancouver Homes and Real Estate - BC, Canada

So, that out of the way, as title states.

Does anybody know how much % of grass I'm supposed to keep? or is there even a bylaw for that?

I'm thinking of building a simple flat deck surface on top of existing lawn, and a raised flower bed on another side.

Don't have it all planned out yet. It's just a rough idea. We have lawn furniture that keeps sinking/digging into the lawn. So my simple idea for a solution, was to build a simple deck out of 2x4's or whatever.

Raised flower bed for looks, and ease of gardening for my aging mother.

Building codes? what can I get away with, without telling the city?
I would love to have a roof over said deck as well, but I don't have it all figured out yet.

Family friend is an architect, so it would be "engineered" if that matters at all.

Really rough picture.
Advertisement
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
So there's a walkway between your house and the "deck"? I think if it's not attached and is going to have a roof it is closer to being considered a gazebo than a deck per se. You will need to search the bylaws for your specific city as every city will be different and some may require a permit. Also the height off the grass will determine whether you need a railing or not. You will want to cement the 4x4 posts into the ground to hold it and I would recommend digging up the grass under it and putting a cloth designed to prevent stuff from growing through under some gravel so you dont end up with an ugly forest that you can't get to to cut underneath it.

Mark
Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
That's the word I was looking for. Gazebo.

The lawn is already all dug up, and looks like shit. I was redoing the lawn, but then this idea popped into my head while I was cutting out the sod.

I'm thinking of using that vinyl cloth stuff + gravel underneath. Then recess + cement the base frame into the lawn, so it's level with the existing pathway.

East Vancouver. Sunrise.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Does anybody know how much % of grass I'm supposed to keep? or is there even a bylaw for that?

I'm thinking of building a simple flat deck surface on top of existing lawn, and a raised flower bed on another side.

Don't have it all planned out yet. It's just a rough idea. We have lawn furniture that keeps sinking/digging into the lawn. So my simple idea for a solution, was to build a simple deck out of 2x4's or whatever.

Raised flower bed for looks, and ease of gardening for my aging mother.

Building codes? what can I get away with, without telling the city?
I would love to have a roof over said deck as well, but I don't have it all figured out yet.

Family friend is an architect, so it would be "engineered" if that matters at all.

Really rough picture.
You need to submit a Development and Building Application.
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/decks_RS_zones.pdf

The code requirements and bylaws for low decks are generally simple, but raised decks, and even more so, covered decks, are on a comparable scale of complexity to full on additions.

In a backyard or inside a house, you can go about your business without much concern. In the front yard, however, its not inconceivable that an inspector would drive past, see the work, see the lack of placard, and stop the work. You then pay a penalty, get a permit, and proceed with process.

Personally, I wouldn't build a deck. I interpret your desires as having a more usable outdoor living space, am I hitting the mark?

If that's correct, I would suggest looking into a mix of gravel, hardscaping, and raised flower beds. It's a much simpler option for a front yard and will require less maintenance. You would end up with something like this.

Spoiler!
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
You need to submit a Development and Building Application.
http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/decks_RS_zones.pdf

The code requirements and bylaws for low decks are generally simple, but raised decks, and even more so, covered decks, are on a comparable scale of complexity to full on additions.

In a backyard or inside a house, you can go about your business without much concern. In the front yard, however, its not inconceivable that an inspector would drive past, see the work, see the lack of placard, and stop the work. You then pay a penalty, get a permit, and proceed with process.

Personally, I wouldn't build a deck. I interpret your desires as having a more usable outdoor living space, am I hitting the mark?

If that's correct, I would suggest looking into a mix of gravel, hardscaping, and raised flower beds. It's a much simpler option for a front yard and will require less maintenance. You would end up with something like this.

Spoiler!
that looks pretty cool, i like the idea. i'm guessing that's a cheaper option as well and probably easier to DIY since there's no structure per-se, just leveling and grunt work.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I think, in a smaller space, it would look infinitely better to do as MB suggested and go with a paver type "deck".

One, you mentioned that your mother's age is a concern. I always think of maintenance on projects. What are you signing someone up to maintain for the next 20-40 years?

If you go with a flagstone type natural surface, then growth forms in around the joints of the stone, and it all looks very natural. Hire a guy with a pressure washer every few years to clean it up and call it a day.

You are going to notice that on your inspiration photo; obviously they have a budget, space but also a house that mixes well with its surroundings in terms of landscaping. If you are working with a plain jane type of house with vinyl siding then the natural outside you are trying to build will not blend with the home. The first thing I notice about the house, is it features a lot of natural wood in its construction. So to use more natural wood, and incorporate trees flows in between the outside of the house, the surroundings and the inside of the home to create a "package"

Next, on a typical surburban lot, its not so much "space" that is the main concern, because we all have that concern. Your issue may be not enough, but that house has a problem of "too much". The problem is going to be scale. You put a 10x10 deck(size of a small bedroom) off the front of your house...its going to look massive, but you put one off a 4000 ft house on an acre, and you won't notice it.

What you might consider is trying to go more traditional...the front porch. Depending on the house, and budget, you might be able to build a new front face for the home that ties in with the yard, ie. no railings and stairs, but a full set of stairs along the front that make the front yard, new porch and house all one progression. Use very natural products that aren't built off straight lines(natural stone pavers instead of concrete) and your little house in the 'burbs(in comparison to that small mansion above) will looks like a natural oasis in the city.

All comes down to money. I tell people all the time, I can build you the Taj Mahal, I just need the budget.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
How about some photos of your yard and the front of the house?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
id suggest going with the wider deck planking [the 6" stuff with rounded edges or whatnot] over 2X4's based purely on price

dont know if you've priced anything out but pressure treated lumber can add up in a hurry and pressure treated 4X4 posts can be like $25 per, although you probably only need a couple

how big of a deck is it going to be? if its only like 10 feet deep by 20 wide or somthing i'd say just plant your posts on a saturday with the concrete, have all your joist hangers mounted on your fascia or whatever your attaching it to on the house, and throw er' all up on a sunday afternoon no permit.

if your front yard is all ratty looking no ones probably gonna notice a little deck over it, and if it's already completed by monday no inspector is gonna say boo