REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Terrible Sushi in 604 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683233-terrible-sushi-604-a.html)

LiquidTurbo 04-23-2013 11:16 PM

Richmond Sushi...

:heckno:

Drow 04-24-2013 04:29 PM

^^^

no bro have you been to their AYCE recently? its been pretty good for the past year. Normal dinner though, no late night leftovers

there was a time when richmond sushi was pretty good (when i was young), then it turned to trash, now its quality is back up there

when we compare quality you must remember to compare it with other AYCE's.

PJ 04-24-2013 05:32 PM

I've been to Richmond Sushi once for AYCE, and I thought the food was pretty decent. But I caught a glimpse of something their waiters did that kinda made me :suspicious:

We ordered, and they were bringing our dishes out one at a time. Then these weird dishes started coming that we didn't order (meats, grilled fish, salad). I tell our waiter we didn't order them, and he took them away.

I kept an eye on him, and he brought the dishes to another table. Those customers said they didn't order them, and he then brought the dishes to yet another table. These customers were too busy talking and eating, that they just accepted the food.

Then the waiter walks away with a supressed smirk on his face, giving a discreet thumbs up to another waiter.

Probably (hopefully) just extra food from other customers wrong orders or the kitchen that they didn't want to waste.

It's really not that big of a deal, and I know it shouldn't bother me, but for some reason it rubbed me the wrong way.

Drow 04-24-2013 05:42 PM

Yep. So i wasn't tripping out that night. I ordered for our table and then these deep fried smelt came but i was sure i never ordered dat chit... i told the waiter we didn't order it but he insisted we did

also there's this slack jawed kid who leans against the wall every time he takes our orders, but will stand up straight as a pole in front of gwai lo's phuc dat guy

Verdasco 04-25-2013 12:47 AM

lol me and my buddies loved their smelt, we had an eating contest when we were full to see who would eat the most :lawl:

winson604 04-25-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 8220398)
I'm really surprised when people say they LOVE the eatery. I've been there..probably too many times for my liking. I mean..I get it. It's a happening place, and I will admit the decor is pretty rad. But the food is just.....bleh.

Agreed but these places imo are really catered to the white crowd. The only people I know that have liked the Eatery are white people. All my asian friends and myself included thought it was crap.

I have 2 memories for worst food Jap food I've ever eaten was this place on Denman beside or 2 stores or so down from Kintaro Ramen. All I remember was all the food came and each dish got worse and worse I just asked for the bill, said their food is a disgrace to not only Japanese Food but food in general and left. This was probably 5 years ago or so and I can't imagine that place would still be there.

A more recent memory was at the San Fransico Airport this past October. I was changing flights there, was starving, and really wanted some asian food. So we saw this Jap place that was owned and run by Chinese people. My expectations automatically were slightly lower for that reason but being San Fran, it couldn't be that terrible, right? Ordered a Cali Roll, a ramen, and a couple pieces of Salmon sushi. All I will say is I only ate 1/3 of the food only because I was starving, paid with no tip, and left. The people working there were rude as fuck too. I'll stick to white food at airports now unless I'm in Asia.

bcrdukes 04-25-2013 12:18 PM

Any kind of Asian food in San Fran is by far the worst I've had. Even Chinese food in Chinatown San Fran is horrendous!

murd0c 04-25-2013 02:17 PM

Don't go to Sunny Dragon in Surrey (Fraser hwy & 160th) service is beyond horrible and the sushi is old and tasteless. I had the worst service ever a while ago and I didn't tip... I was walking out and the girl chased me down and said I forgot the tip and held her hand out... I looked at her stunned and said you have to earn it and just walked away...

winson604 04-25-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8221922)
Any kind of Asian food in San Fran is by far the worst I've had. Even Chinese food in Chinatown San Fran is horrendous!

Haha my first and only mistake. I just made the assumption that since San Fran's population of Asians were pretty high that it would make it "safer" oh was I ever wrong. Well actually, I made 2 mistakes, that and also eating Asian food at an airport of all places. :rukidding:

Matlock 04-25-2013 02:47 PM

Samurai downtown on Davie St.

I've been to the other locations a couple of years ago, so I can't really say, but they were OK nevertheless the downtown location tasted like crap. Worst sushi ever. Lower quality than any AYCE I've been to and this restaurant was a la carte, so naturally I would expect the quality to be better than that of AYCE.

Oh and secondly, I hate the eatery. Stupid restaurant with super loud music blasting and no lighting, how is anyone supposed to see what slop sushi they're feeding us? Expensive crap food. I don't see why it was so popular. All over the menus and on the walls they plaster the words "Miso horny," stupid pun on the word miso... not even funny. I hate that restaurant. Hate. Why do my friends choose stupid restaurants for their birthdays...

miss_crayon 04-25-2013 03:32 PM

Actually, Bangkok Noodles in Union Square was pretty tasty for Asian food the last time I was visiting. 90% Thai food but they also have chinese dishes too; I still think about their fishball noods to this day.

I came here at least 3 times the last time I was there and I was only visiting for 5 days.

MelonBoy 04-25-2013 05:13 PM

Worst sushi I had was at Kishu River on Kingsways beside Congee Noodle..

Oh god, I still remember the chewyness & frozen fish they served me..

Ronin 04-25-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight604 (Post 8219277)
I never walk into a Sushi restaurant if the chief is not japanese.

FUCK THAT SHIT.

That's a stupid way to look at it. It doesn't matter what race they are...it matters if they have some skill and put it into their food. Not all amazing sushi chefs are Japanese.

I don't go to places that emphasize rolls. Pretty much everywhere that sells fancy California rolls ("dragon" roll, "Canucks" roll, "caterpillar" roll, etc) and bullshit like that. They're gross and a rip off.

Otherwise, I categorize sushi in Vancouver in three categories.

First is supermarket/budget sushi. This is the garbage you'll find at Yaohan, in the Safeway deli or the Vietnamese sushi places that sell enormous rolls or nigiri sushi. Not even close to fresh, usually made by some machine. These are places (you can usually recognize them because the sign says "SUSHI" or "TERIYAKI") are just there to make a buck, to cash in on this city's obsession with sushi. The chefs don't care...cut corners to make an extra dime or serve HUGE rolls to fool customers into thinking it's good value.

Second is the "good enough" sushi, places that serve good food but won't please the authenticity police. There's certainly a lot of good Japanese food here that tastes good, doesn't cost an arm and a leg and is put together by people that care about running a restaurant rather than pinching every penny.

Third is the good sushi, which is then divided into the cheap and the expensive. The cheap isn't really cheap...places like Sushi Hachi, Seto, etc...but they're cheap compared to Tojo, Miku, etc. These are places that are all about creating a good food experience and using top quality ingredients.

AND...

...there's no such thing as good AYCE sushi. It's fine if you're 16 and eat like a water buffalo but if you're an adult and eat like a normal human being, ordering $20 worth of a la carte anywhere will be better food.

AW607 04-25-2013 07:39 PM

I remember ordering tuna sashimi when I was at Banzai... Bit down and halfway through there was a crunch.. to my surprise it was still frozen :heckno: For the record I still go to Banzai when I'm hungry, I have no complaints about the food, other than no tuna sashimi ever again haha

Special K 04-25-2013 07:47 PM

Blue C sushi in Lynnwood was horrible.
Posted via RS Mobile

winson604 04-26-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AW607 (Post 8222213)
I remember ordering tuna sashimi when I was at Banzai... Bit down and halfway through there was a crunch.. to my surprise it was still frozen :heckno: For the record I still go to Banzai when I'm hungry, I have no complaints about the food, other than no tuna sashimi ever again haha

I find it's pretty common with tuna sashimi when you hit up those not awesome but cheap sushi places such as Samurai.

Mr.HappySilp 04-26-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8219897)
are you simply clueless or what... obviously the restaurant does not want to service anyone with the groupons.... they will go bankrupt if they serve the whole restaurant with just groupons. It is a smart tactic since this can make customers forget or simply don't care about the coupons they buy.

Depends what restaurant some still makes money or gives good services. Been to a few restaurant with groupon and got treated really good.

gdoh 04-26-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8221996)
Don't go to Sunny Dragon in Surrey (Fraser hwy & 160th) service is beyond horrible and the sushi is old and tasteless. I had the worst service ever a while ago and I didn't tip... I was walking out and the girl chased me down and said I forgot the tip and held her hand out... I looked at her stunned and said you have to earn it and just walked away...

I've been there plenty of times and haven't had a problem, but I always order out

Drow 04-26-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 8222209)

...there's no such thing as good AYCE sushi. It's fine if you're 16 and eat like a water buffalo but if you're an adult and eat like a normal human being, ordering $20 worth of a la carte anywhere will be better food.

my buddies and i blaze before every meal

we eat like water buffalos (assuming they eat alot)

SkinnyPupp 04-26-2013 09:58 AM

I haven't had sushi in vancouver in at least 5 years, but from what I recall, the really bad places were the one by Oakridge mall, and I think Banzai sushi in Richmond. And EVERY SINGLE PLACE that had all you can eat. Just disgusting.

For huge cheap sushi that wasn't gross, I used to like going to King House Sushi. Run by flips but if all you want is cheap yummy junky sushi, it was good. Their "alaska rolls" (california roll with salmon on top) were damn good, and could fill you up easily

My favourite decent sushi was Ichiro in Steveston. Not because the owner and main chefs were japanese, but because they had quality sushi for a good price.

GLOW 04-26-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelonBoy (Post 8222099)
Worst sushi I had was at Kishu River on Kingsways beside Congee Noodle..

Oh god, I still remember the chewyness & frozen fish they served me..

ya that place was on my boycott list for a while. more so for the service...a few bad experiences there.

Isaiah11 04-26-2013 11:18 AM

Robson Ebisu's sushi is a disgrace

Spartacus 04-26-2013 11:30 AM

Toshi sushi @ main and 16th is really terrible - .

Food is WELL below average, while service is bad and slow.

gdoh 04-26-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaiah11 (Post 8222632)
Robson Ebisu's sushi is a disgrace

worst dynamite roll ever

guddagudd 04-26-2013 03:05 PM

koto izakaya in rmd has very shitty service, unless you are a regular