REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Terrible Sushi in 604 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683233-terrible-sushi-604-a.html)

Verdasco 04-22-2013 10:49 AM

Terrible Sushi in 604

Does anyone here have an anecdotal experience with terrible sushi or service?

I remember i went to paper rock social on main and broadway 2 years ago. Bought those coupon for a typical AYCE. Called for reservation and booked it 2 weeks because they claimed they were "busy"

2 weeks in, I walked in with some buddies and noticed how empty it was. Literally, no one was there except us...... They asked for our names and I gladly gave them mine. Guess what? Turns out my name wasn't listed even though I had reservations 2 weeks beforehand!!!! Seriously, after persuading them that I did. The old women was just mad and rude 24/7 (even serving regular customers). Also having to wait 20 minutes to get our food and drinks...... I WILL NEVER EVER eat sushi at some unknown place again, or get stupid vouchers for restaurants. *the food was garbage as well*

I wonder... is this place even up?? Although 2 years have past since my horrible experience. Never will a customer forget the horrendous service they receive from a restaurant.

Any other places to stay away??

knight604 04-22-2013 11:02 AM

I never walk into a Sushi restaurant if the chief is not japanese.

FUCK THAT SHIT.

snails 04-22-2013 11:30 AM

ill find the name of the sushi place in Guildford and edit it after

there menu is like any other sushi menu, but on the corner of some of the items it say "hot" as in "spicy" kind of a warning if you dont like spicy food.

so using this menu and knowing i hate spicy food i order a deep fried cali roll, get it and its covered in a red sauce, i ask if its spicy and the lady said it wasnt, one bite in and instantly called her over telling her i want another roll, this was spicy, no where on the menu said it was spicy and even when asked about it she lied to me, later i get a normal cali roll and get my bill, i had been charged for the previous roll and i brought up this issue and they wouldnt take the charge off, 0 customer service at all, have not gone back since

murd0c 04-22-2013 12:47 PM

where is the sushi place in Guildford located?

snails 04-22-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8219342)
where is the sushi place in Guildford located?

Maki Yaki sushi on 152 and 101

Nlkko 04-22-2013 01:55 PM

Clubhouse Sushi in the Olympic Village - shit service.
Toyama near Seymour and Robson - sushi with 10 part rice and 1 part fish, if you can even call it sushi. Also shit service.

tru_blue 04-22-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knight604 (Post 8219277)

FUCK THAT SHIT.

what if its a chinese dude pretending to be japanese with long white hair and all ? :troll:

Banzai sushi in Richmond across the public market is made by viet dudes pretending to be japanese :lawl:

snails 04-22-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

FUCK THAT SHIT.

not sure i could tell the difference... and before anyone gets offended i bet none of you guys could figure out what kinda of white i am!

murd0c 04-22-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

FUCK THAT SHIT.

you do know most are Korean right?

punkwax 04-22-2013 03:18 PM

My experience at Fish on Rice near Metrotown was far from good. Mind you its inexpensive AYCE so I guess you can't expect much but my sashimi wasn't very cold which made it really unappetizing.

There's also a sushi spot on Dawson is Burnaby near skytrain station that is pretty bad too.. can't remember the name because after my first try I decided I wouldn' return..

Drow 04-22-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

FUCK THAT SHIT.

i REFUSE to eat CHEESEBURGERS that aren't made by WHITE PPL @ MCDONALDS

:2finger:

XplicitLuder 04-22-2013 04:26 PM

dont know if its here but...tukasa at the corner of main and marine :heckno: i was craving sushi and went with a buddy and for 12$...i get SO much more at my regular place and the sushi wasnt even that good

BinsentoW 04-22-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 8219268)
Does anyone here have an anecdotal experience with terrible sushi or service?

I remember i went to paper rock social on main and broadway 2 years ago. Bought those coupon for a typical AYCE. Called for reservation and booked it 2 weeks because they claimed they were "busy"

2 weeks in, I walked in with some buddies and noticed how empty it was. Literally, no one was there except us...... They asked for our names and I gladly gave them mine. Guess what? Turns out my name wasn't listed even though I had reservations 2 weeks beforehand!!!! Seriously, after persuading them that I did.
The old women was just mad and rude 24/7 (even serving regular customers). Also having to wait 20 minutes to get our food and drinks...... I WILL NEVER EVER eat sushi at some unknown place again, or get stupid vouchers for restaurants. *the food was garbage as well*

I wonder... is this place even up?? Although 2 years have past since my horrible experience. Never will a customer forget the horrendous service they receive from a restaurant.

Any other places to stay away??

Why did you need to have a reservation when its empty?

Minto 04-22-2013 05:21 PM

Il Uk Jo
Kawawa
Toyama
Sui Sha Ya

Il Uk Jo (in Surrey) is by far the worst I've ever had. I found BONES in the sashimi. Friend found a mini crab in something he was eating. The other places I think most people are already aware of.

Frozen sashimi :rukidding:

Verdasco 04-22-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BinsentoW (Post 8219531)
Why did you need to have a reservation when its empty?

are you simply clueless or what... obviously the restaurant does not want to service anyone with the groupons.... they will go bankrupt if they serve the whole restaurant with just groupons. It is a smart tactic since this can make customers forget or simply don't care about the coupons they buy.

Verdasco 04-22-2013 09:58 PM

If i remember, companies offering these groupons are losing money, it just brings publicity for the long run.... which they will never get for their shitty service / food

miss_crayon 04-22-2013 10:49 PM

I haven't had "bad" sushi in a long time but one that REALLY sticks out in the past couple years goes to... *drumroll please*

Ichiban-YA on Thurlow (across from Joe Fortes) And from the looks of these other reviews (wrote mine on April 8) it ain't doing so hot!

This place seriously was my ALL TIME fave jap resto when I was a kid (previously named Ichiban-kan). I'd say from 2000-2005, I was there every weekend with my family. Local celebs LOVED coming here and waits would always be 30minutes+ to an hour. Best sushi of my life and the bonus was it was owned and ran by a Japanese guy!! After he sold it the new owner turned it into a small izakaya but prices were steep so we stopped going.

Fast forward 2011, I gave it another go cause I had SUCH good memories but it was a major let down. MAJOR. It was so bad I wanted to cry when I had to pay because I couldn't believe I was paying for shit. ARGH. It still makes my blood boil when I think how bad it was.

PJ 04-23-2013 07:50 AM

There's some new Eatery-esque place on Main called the General Public.

For the steeper prices, the food is not good. It seems like they're trying too hard to make it wacky instead of actually tasting decent. Rolls were too salty, tempura was soggy.

Place was fairly empty, and service was still slow. I'll cut them some slack in this department though, since the place is still new-ish.

This place is like the Eatery's fat, ugly, sister.

Word on the street is that this place was opened by "guys from the Eatery."
But does that mean the owner-operator opened this location? Or did the dishwashers take out a bank loan?

Judging by the food and service, the latter seems more probable.

miss_crayon 04-23-2013 03:44 PM

I'm really surprised when people say they LOVE the eatery. I've been there..probably too many times for my liking. I mean..I get it. It's a happening place, and I will admit the decor is pretty rad. But the food is just.....bleh.

PJ 04-23-2013 03:56 PM

^Agreed.

Though I do go there every couple months or so, because my girlfriend is one of those people who LOVE it.
I find it's more of an up-beat hang-out that happens to serve sushi, than simply a real sushi restaurant. Fun place, loud music, cute waitresses, funky menu, merchandise, etc.

The food isn't the best, but it's not bad. They make up for the sub-par-ness with new quirky concoctions. Definitely better than this new General Public place.

BBMme 04-23-2013 04:25 PM

does T&T count? lol

tru_blue 04-23-2013 04:39 PM

Banzai sushi on Westminister Richmond, just gross

keifun 04-23-2013 06:24 PM

Kisha Poppo @ Ironwood Plaza Richmond.

Went there for lunch with co-workers. Sashimi was still frozen, rice was soggy, service was slow.

Wished we went to McDonalds or Tim Hortons nearby instead.

icemiko 04-23-2013 07:42 PM

Last time and only time I went to The Eatery the food sucks and tasted horrible, I do agree that it's a cool place to hang out and have a drink though.

inv4zn 04-23-2013 10:55 PM

Rule of thumb, any sushi joint with a generic English word before/after the word Sushi, stay away.