REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Canadian Terror Plot

Canadian police: 2 arrested after authorities stop terror plot - CNN.com

RCMP arrests 2, charges them with planning terrorist attack against VIA train | Globalnews.ca

There was a press conference at 12:30pm. I caught the end of it.

Plans were to attack\bomb a Via Rail train in Ontario and\or Quebec (didn't catch it).

The reiterated that this was and is NOT related to the Boston attacks.
Advertisement
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Good job RCMP! An attack on a VIA train is prevented by some good police work.

RCMP > Cops working at Skytrain stations.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

holy fuck
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

They were fighting for a free and soveirgn nova scotia
Posted via RS Mobile
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
lol @ this comment on the page:

Quote:
Thanks. It's amazing that this thread has turned into a "Canada is just an extension of the US" discussion.

Canada & the US have a lot in common but there are many differences between us. What makes Canada different is that we have:

Cleanliness, butter tarts, gun control, poutine, universal health care, hockey, high standard of living, the Rockies, Roots, vast natural resources, Tim Horton's, maple leaf/syrup/cookies/sugar, Nanaimo bars, Smarties, Red Rose tea, great beer, ringette, beavers, back bacon, football with 3 downs, the RCMP, Chapters & Indigo, Thanksgiving in October, colourful money, dill pickle chips, ketchup chips, all dressed chips, 4 seasons, affordable & high quality education, Red Green, the word "eh", 1 year of paid maternity & parental leave, Coffee Crisp, the best view of Niagara Falls, a national anthem everyone can sing & remember the words to, Joe Fresh, the CN Tower, great music, Canada Dry ginger ale, Stratford Shakespeare Festival, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Canada geese, toques, loonies & toonies, Mr. Dressup, the metric system, moose, Bonhomme, Shopper’s Drug Mart, Canada Goose jackets, Polka Dot Door, Bloody Caesars, CBC, Habitant pea soup, the CNE, Casa Loma, Genie Awards, Swiss Chalet, the Calgary Stampede, 6 time zones, Laura Secord chocolate, Timmy’s runs, Dundurn castle, elk, Cirque du Soleil, milk in cartons, jugs & bags, RONA, lacrosse, Remembrance Day, Aero bars, the Big Nickel, Hudson’s Bay Company, red roads in PEI, tourtière, Canada Day, First Nations, Inuit and Métis, politeness, Shreddies, curling, Toronto International Film Festival, a 2-4, Mickey, 26’er, Forty, double double, Timbits,broomball, Dudley Do-Right, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Just for Laughs, BC salmon, CFL, Panango, Vanelli’s, Smitty’s, Mr. Noodles, Much Music, West Edmonton Mall, road hockey, Banff, Algonquin, Stanley, Jasper, Whistler, Muskoka, McIntosh apples, the Junos, Yuk Yuk’s, Degrassi, East Side Mario’s, Harvey’s, lacrosse, aurora borealis/northern lights, Vancouver Aquarium, the ROM, Vachon cakes, Second City, May two-four, Hopewell Rocks, Esso, PetroCan, Husky and Mohawk, the Air Canada Centre, Royal Canadian Mint, Flare, Chatelaine & Maclean’s, Boston Pizza, the Friendly Giant, Rideau Canal, Canadian Tire money, ice wine, the Cabot Trail, 5 pin bowling, the Jays, Leafs, Flames, Raptors, Canadiens, Oilers, Senators, Jets, Canucks, Argonauts, Ti-Cats, Lions, Stampeders, Eskimos, Blue Bombers, Alouettes, low crime rate, Rockets candy, Canada’s Wonderland, Royal Canadian Air Farce, Don Cherry’s suits, CNR, beaver tails, Lululemon, This Hour has 22 Minutes, Parliament Hill, Mr. Sub, the Shaw Festival, the Ottawa Bluesfest, the Maid of the Mist, Global TV, Confederation Bridge, the Keg and Wiarton Willy, to name a few.

We like our American friends & neighbours. Together, we’re the largest trading partners in the world and we share the longest international border on the globe, but we’re not the same. Canadians aren’t Americans & Americans aren’t Canadians.

We have our own culture, just as Americans have theirs, and we’re proud to be Canucks.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
According to the news these were not home grown terrorists and had not been in Canada for a long time and they have links to Al Qaeda in Iran.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

While this story is important in the context of domestic security, an interesting backdrop to this is the current bill being debated in Ottawa (C-17) which re-instates provisions from bill C-36 that expired under the "sunset clause". In general terms, C-17 would involve investigative hearings for individuals who may have information concerning a terrorism offence. Failure to attend and or answer questions at these hearings are grounds for self-incrimination. Another matter of contention is preventative arrest. Under these new rules, an individual can be arrested without warrant in order to prevent a terrorist attack. They must be presented to a judge within 24hrs or whenever feasible. Once presented, the judge can determine whether or not to release unconditionally or with conditions or held in further custody.
All in all these are sensitive issues relative to constitutional rights upon which Canadians are entitled to.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
While this story is important in the context of domestic security, an interesting backdrop to this is the current bill being debated in Ottawa (C-17) which re-instates provisions from bill C-36 that expired under the "sunset clause". In general terms, C-17 would involve investigative hearings for individuals who may have information concerning a terrorism offence. Failure to attend and or answer questions at these hearings are grounds for self-incrimination. Another matter of contention is preventative arrest. Under these new rules, an individual can be arrested without warrant in order to prevent a terrorist attack. They must be presented to a judge within 24hrs or whenever feasible. Once presented, the judge can determine whether or not to release unconditionally or with conditions or held in further custody.
All in all these are sensitive issues relative to constitutional rights upon which Canadians are entitled to.
Constitutional or Charter rights?
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Muslim leaders given advanced briefing on terror arrests | Globalnews.ca

Kudos to the RCMP for making a big effort to avoid demonizing the Canadian Muslim community.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Ha yeah.

You know, a Nova Scotian might tell you that, you know, back in the day that Nova Scotia was the richest province in the original confederation, and thought about not joining Canada.

They might tell you that the team of Brits that burned the White House departed on that mission from Citadel Hill in Halifax.

They might tell you that it is some of the most fantastic coast line ever seen, a beautiful paradise at the edge of Canada's Ocean Plauground.

They might.

They might also tell you that apart from some of their Atlantic Ocean partners in crime, those bitches be so damned broke, they would literally never consider voting to leave Canada if Canada was having a torrid affair with Nova Scotia's sister. What I'm trying to say is like, no, just no. Someone needs to fund the pogey.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Some might also say that Nova Scotians talk like they have a mouth full of marbles.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
so can grid play the fiddle
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I think the FBI and US authorities also deserve a lot of credit as well.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
so can grid play the fiddle
....he is a very talented fiddle player
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #15
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
sounds like the local muslim community deserves a thumbs up too as members of the commuity contacted police due to "extremist rhetoric" that was being spewed

Canadian terrorist plot to derail VIA train linked to al-Qaeda in Iran | Canada | News | National Post
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
In before possible crackpot connection to "ZioCanadian" targets by CiC.
Posted via RS Mobile
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #18
I subscribe to Revscene

I have to say I dont believe this story... and Im not going to get into why

But back to your regularly scheduled program Cornering Artist
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KhK0NuvTzx...news+sheep.jpg
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
In before possible crackpot connection to "ZioCanadian" targets by CiC.
Posted via RS Mobile
jesus fucking christ! you just HAD to say his fucking name....its like "candyman". if you utter the name, he appears!

i hope you learned your lesson.