REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Using fuel injector cleaner at every oil change

hey guys,

so i've been using Sea Foam fuel injector / engine cleaner (poured into the motor with engine oil) with the last two oil changes (roughly 4 month intervals). is this a bad thing?

I've heard good / bad.
Good: the usual, keeps engine / fuel injectors clean etc. etc.
Bad: "carves" pistons due to the "cleaning" agent , frequent use of injector cleaner is bad

Any help would be nice. I only use 1 can 50/50 split between fuel / engine.
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Depends on what car... But every 4months

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

08 mazda that has about 60k on it now.
my oil changes are every 7k or 4 mos' whatever is first...

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Ummm...what? Hope not serious.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Am I reading this right? You're putting fuel injector cleaner in your motor oil? I've never used fuel injector cleaner in my life and never had an issue.
Posted via RS Mobile
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
yea usually fuel injector cleaner goes in your gas tank, not in the crankcase
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts

fouled plugs galore if every 4 months in gas

if in oil... your engine still runs?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Honestly, has no one heard of seafoam? Yes in you can put it in your oil.

Sometime I wonder if this is still a car forum.
Posted via RS Mobile
predom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by predom View Post
Honestly, has no one heard of seafoam? Yes in you can put it in your oil.

Sometime I wonder if this is still a car forum.
Posted via RS Mobile
from what I understand, don't you put seafoam directly into your intake?
not your crank case.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,026 Times in 201 Posts
first off if you use injector cleaner too often it will likely start eating away at things like your injector o rings and more

Second I hope your not serious about putting all this in the crank case. You should put Seafoam In through the throttle body not recommended for Inside the motor. If you do for some reason run seafoam in the motor oil, it should be a small amount and the oil would need to be changed within 20 kms

If your worried about the oil system gunking up instead of risking damaging things with Seafoam in it run diesel oil instead for a oil change or two as it has lots of detergents in it which helps clean out the motor safely

Your car is so new none of this is even nessecary anyways your just going to reduce the engine life by doing all this so frequently ...
Posted via RS Mobile
TurboFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S View Post
Second I hope your not serious about putting all this in the crank case. You should put Seafoam In through the throttle body not recommended for Inside the motor.
Unless you, ya know, follow the directions on the can that say how to add it to engine oil...

Armchair mechanics are great people. 'I've never really used this but here's how you're doing it wrong'.

OP: Adding seafoam to your oil keeps deposits from building up in the oil system, but they should take YEARS to build up, not months. I personally don't believe in oil flushes, but if you are going to do them, do it once a year tops. Every time you use one you cause a tiny bit of damage to all the bearing surfaces and cylinder walls. Not a huge deal by itself, but it's aggregate.

I use a can of seafoam about every 6 months in my gas tank, probably way more than I actually need to.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
a can of seafoam is recommended to be split into 3 parts, 1/3 into the fuel to clean the fuel system, 1/3 into the valvetrain via a vacuum source, and the last 1/3 poured into ur engine oil. This way it'll clean out ur fuel system, ur valves, and what ever sludge is built/deposited in ur crankcase. That is the procedure written on the can is the recommended way of seafoaming ur car by many people.

OP, u shouldnt be seafoaming ur car so often, BUT!! REMEMBER to change ur engine oil asap after using seafoam as seafoam breaks down engine oil i believe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
MiX iT Up!

this is what I use: Sea Foam® SF16 - Fuel Additive | O'Reilly Auto Parts (it says fuel system but on the can it says fuel / engine etc..)

and yes - I put 1/2 into the crank case while putting in engine oil
and I put the other 1/2 into a full tank of gas as i'm pumping gas (gas , bit of sea foam , gas , bit of sea foam etc..)

I will stop adding them for the rest of the year since last oil change was in Nov 12 , and I recently did one in March 13.

For engine oil - I use synthetic (probably too much ) but the price difference is so nominal (+ $3/4 ).

Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S View Post
If your worried about the oil system gunking up instead of risking damaging things with Seafoam in it run diesel oil instead for a oil change or two as it has lots of detergents in it which helps clean out the motor safely
diesel motor oils have a high concentration of phosphorus content, which damages cats. if ur catless sure go ahead and run diesel motor oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
OP really need to ask himself what is he trying to achieve? What are the metrics he can use to measure? (oil analysis etc).

Throwing in chemicals is not bad by itself, but whether it makes quantitative difference (not to mention cost benefit ratio), is another story.

Last edited by godwin; 04-25-2013 at 09:23 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
this is what I use: Sea Foam® SF16 - Fuel Additive | O'Reilly Auto Parts (it says fuel system but on the can it says fuel / engine etc..)

and yes - I put 1/2 into the crank case while putting in engine oil
and I put the other 1/2 into a full tank of gas as i'm pumping gas (gas , bit of sea foam , gas , bit of sea foam etc..)

I will stop adding them for the rest of the year since last oil change was in Nov 12 , and I recently did one in March 13.

For engine oil - I use synthetic (probably too much ) but the price difference is so nominal (+ $3/4 ).
You're supposed to put it in 1/3 Tank, Crankcase, Vac lines, run a cycle (tank) then change your oil, filter, and plugs.

It's the same with using ATF as a flush.

The way you're going on about it is borderline OCD.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #17

I personally don't believe in engine oil flushes on cars I own. Maybe when I first buy them if the oil looks like crap when I change it, but oil is a cleaning agent. Plain old oil, never mind all the other stuff they add in.
As long as you keep up on regular oil changes, you shouldn't be getting buildups.

Nothing wrong with running synthetic. I put Synthetic in my 79 Trans Am and my 83 Brat on the original motors, just to prove that it wouldn't hurt anything. It didn't.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Modern oils, specifically synthetics have a lot of chemicals/detergents in them that prevent oil sludge or any kind of oil build up, especially with newer cars.

It's absolutely retarded to seafoam a car more than once every 30,000 kms, and that's depending on vehicle, oil changes and driving habits.

ie, an older vehicle with regular oil being driven in short stop and go trips will need a good seafoam treatment way more than a newer model car with synthetic oil....
There is a good chance you're doing more harm than good buy dumping that stuff into your system so often.
c4@urdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
OP really need to ask himself what is he trying to achieve? What are the metrics he can use to measure? (oil analysis etc).

Throwing in chemicals is not bad by itself, but whether it makes quantitative difference (not to mention cost benefit ratio), is another story.
I was trying to achieve fuel economy as per the trip computer on the car. I have seen that - it has gone from 10.1 - 9.3. I wanted to keep it around 9.3 or better yet lower. Thats when I was told about the "bad" about frequent use of cleaners.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
When I get home ill link you to something that I know maxima users do to achieve better mpg. Kinda the same thing u do but with a diff additive I believe
Posted via RS Mobile
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Oh the joys of seafoam...

Old 04-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You would probably find more efficiency by get a OBD data logger with throttle position, fuel use and GPS interface to see if you can improve on your driving, or route especially if it is a DD than Seafoaming an already clean car. You should have a baseline state of the fluid sample of your car before you seafoam. Places like Blackstone often interpret the data for you, based on the year and mileage of your car etc.

Quote:
I was trying to achieve fuel economy as per the trip computer on the car. I have seen that - it has gone from 10.1 - 9.3. I wanted to keep it around 9.3 or better yet lower. Thats when I was told about the "bad" about frequent use of cleaners.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
SpuGen has the instructions right from what I remember, you're not supposed to be adding it every oil change and leaving it in there for that long.

Quote:
Did you start using the cleaners right when you decided to try and achieve the better fuel economy, or did you try for the economy for a while then add in the cleaners? If you started both at the same time chances are the subtle changes to your driving got you the economy, unless your car was abused before you got it there shouldn't have been much buildup on a 08.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #24

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
.........but why?
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #25
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
SpuGen has the instructions right from what I remember, you're not supposed to be adding it every oil change and leaving it in there for that long.

Did you start using the cleaners right when you decided to try and achieve the better fuel economy, or did you try for the economy for a while then add in the cleaners? If you started both at the same time chances are the subtle changes to your driving got you the economy, unless your car was abused before you got it there shouldn't have been much buildup on a 08.
my driving habbits have never changed. it's a DD and I drive highway to and from work on "cruise". A few months ago I noticed fuel economy was hitting the crapper and I added a bottle of techron with that oil change - Nov 12. I saw a slight improvement (10.1-9.8/9.9) and kept going the way I did. During my last oil change I added Seafoam and after a couple of days I saw it go from 10.1-9.3.

If fuel cleaner didn't work my next step was to check the spark plugs -> plug wires -> and last O2 sensor.

Car wasn't abused - it was pretty much brand new when I got it.

What happens if I leave it there until July? (Mar +4 months)