REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Does anyone have a local butcher? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683516-does-anyone-have-local-butcher.html)

TheKingdom2000 04-30-2013 09:23 AM

Does anyone have a local butcher?

My parents are looking for a local butcher that supplies grass fed, antibiotic free, hormone restricted meats.

They live in South Vancouver, so somewhere close to there would be ideal, but they would be willing to travel somewhere else if it's reasonable. They also work on no3 in Richmond.

Thanks.

EDIT: As long as the butcher has hormone free and antibiotic free meats/poultry that will do. Sorry for the confusion.
Famous foods and Windsor Quality Meats are the top, simply due to proximity, Thanks!!

godwin 04-30-2013 12:38 PM

I dont think you will find beef that is totally grass fed. They still need corn to bulk up one stage or the other.

What you want won't be cheap be expect to pay at least 2x what XL foods (eg Superstore / Thrifty's etc) prices.
Try:
Hopcott in Maple Ridge
Wheelhouse on Hastings
Armando's on Granville Island

2 n r 04-30-2013 12:48 PM

I don't remember the details but there's a website that you can order grass fed beef from and it's local. I'll see if I can find it again and will post it later if I do or u can try googling it
Posted via RS Mobile

westopher 04-30-2013 12:49 PM

They have totally grass fed beef at windsor meats. Canadian farms use corn very rarely compared to our southern counterparts. Try the potato fed P.E.I. beef for a special occasion. Its pricey, but amazing. Never go to granville island for beef unless you are rich. The product is great at jacksons and armandos down there, but you pay 1.5-1.75 times more than somewhere else that has the same product. Windsor has been the best I've found so far for quality/price balance, but their selection isn't quite as big as some others around. Its on king ed and main, so it might be a small trek, but its worth it.

murd0c 04-30-2013 01:02 PM

Hopcott is one of the best around if you can venture out that far. They will cut the meat right infront of you if they don't have it out. Mad Butcher in Abbotsford is great as well.

godwin 04-30-2013 01:12 PM

Another option is Australian beef (which are grass type fed since they don't have corn or much grain in Aussieland).. those can be had at Stong's on Dunbar.

godwin 04-30-2013 01:14 PM

Problem with Hopcott is OP wants 100% grass fed.. Hopcott (and most producers in all honesty) use grain one form / stage. All producers only tell how the cows are finished (ie last series of meals while they are bulked up) are grass or grain/corn. Grass means they are grazed, grain means they are feedlot cows (akin to battery hens)... and some in between: grass / grain silage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8225428)
Hopcott is one of the best around if you can venture out that far. They will cut the meat right infront of you if they don't have it out. Mad Butcher in Abbotsford is great as well.

godwin 04-30-2013 01:19 PM

Windsor's meat is fed with grass and barley.. last I check, barley is a grain not a grass too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8225420)
They have totally grass fed beef at windsor meats. Canadian farms use corn very rarely compared to our southern counterparts. Try the potato fed P.E.I. beef for a special occasion. Its pricey, but amazing. Never go to granville island for beef unless you are rich. The product is great at jacksons and armandos down there, but you pay 1.5-1.75 times more than somewhere else that has the same product. Windsor has been the best I've found so far for quality/price balance, but their selection isn't quite as big as some others around. Its on king ed and main, so it might be a small trek, but its worth it.

westopher 04-30-2013 01:25 PM

I guess I'm wrong. I didn't know that, although last I checked barley isn't corn. Do you know of any places locally that are transparent about what the beef is actually fed? That practice seems fairly misleading. Apparently according to a quick google a place called "The Butcher" in point grey has what the OP is looking for.

Sushi604 04-30-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8225411)
I dont think you will find beef that is totally grass fed. They still need corn to bulk up one stage or the other.

What you want won't be cheap be expect to pay at least 2x what XL foods (eg Superstore / Thrifty's etc) prices.
Try:
Hopcott in Maple Ridge
Wheelhouse on Hastings
Armando's on Granville Island

Famous Foods is my go to place for grass fed or organic beef.

I disagree, PEI grassfed beef is done with potatoes. No corn there.

godwin 04-30-2013 01:36 PM

No but Barley is still a grain not grass. which OP wants.

Canada's cold winters just dont get grass growing in the winter. Since hay is less nutritious than grass, farmers need to bulk up the animals with some type of grain in the winter, in the end they have 18 months to slaughter. I think the farmer moved away from corn because of the price fluctuations since 2000 more than the touchy feely bits.

IF you want grass fed, you really have to find a place that can sustain herd foraging all year round.. Canada is just not it. Try Brazil and Australia.

It is not misleading, the weather just don't allow it. It is just like saying you are having tomatos available in BC in the winter, you won't think they are non greenhouse would you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8225446)
I guess I'm wrong. I didn't know that, although last I checked barley isn't corn. Do you know of any places locally that are transparent about what the beef is actually fed? That practice seems fairly misleading.

godwin 04-30-2013 01:37 PM

The OP wants grass fed (which barley, corn and potato are not part of the that family). Go ask Famous foods, and ask if any time their beef has been fed grain (not only corn)..Tell them you know the what grass finished means, the answer will be a yes, they were fed grains. Grass fed means grass finished. NOT NECESSARILY 100% GRASS FROM BIRTH!!

Cows ruminates.. Potatoes are not such a great plant for ruminating! Just because they are fed potatoes, doesn't mean they don't have grass!

The organic label is worse than synthetic for motor oils. It is based on the principle that how the animal tastes like depends on its meals near death.. eg bears who eat berries will produce meat that has a berry taste. To be organic beef, the cows just need to live on a certified organic farm and be given a choice to go outside if they want to... If it is -20C outside and it is a heated barn, do you really think a herd will go out to forage? Even organic beef can be grass finished or grain finished.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi604 (Post 8225452)
Famous Foods is my go to place for grass fed or organic beef.

I disagree, PEI grassfed beef is done with potatoes. No corn there.

Sushi604 04-30-2013 01:42 PM

True... but unless I'm mistaken, the OP's probably trying to convert to a paleo diet and wants to ensure that the beef they buy is not grain fed.

mx703, are your parents trying to go all out paleo?

finbar 04-30-2013 02:47 PM

Jackson's

godwin 04-30-2013 02:59 PM

If it is for paleo diet. I think venison from NZ is probably the safest meat that is not grain fed from birth till butcher.

North America grazing animals (not just sheep but cows etc) have a significant risk of brain wasting disease from the wild deer and elk population.. NZ and Australia are two countries that didn't have that introduced to their herd populations or in the wild.

Trimpac will carry that at a decent price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi604 (Post 8225471)
True... but unless I'm mistaken, the OP's probably trying to convert to a paleo diet and wants to ensure that the beef they buy is not grain fed.

mx703, are your parents trying to go all out paleo?

MindBomber 04-30-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8225456)
No but Barley is still a grain not grass. which OP wants.

Canada's cold winters just dont get grass growing in the winter. Since hay is less nutritious than grass, farmers need to bulk up the animals with some type of grain in the winter, in the end they have 18 months to slaughter. I think the farmer moved away from corn because of the price fluctuations since 2000 more than the touchy feely bits.

IF you want grass fed, you really have to find a place that can sustain herd foraging all year round.. Canada is just not it. Try Brazil and Australia.

It is not misleading, the weather just don't allow it. It is just like saying you are having tomatos available in BC in the winter, you won't think they are non greenhouse would you?

It's totally possible to sustain a herd on forage year round, I know a number of ranchers in the Cariboo and Chilcotin who do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin
Windsor's meat is fed with grass and barley.. last I check, barley is a grain not a grass too.

barley hay is a grass.

meowjinboo 04-30-2013 06:57 PM

i dont know about grassfed but the meat manager at costco sold me on hormone and antibiotic free beef. paid 70 dollars for about 7-8 steaks.

Vansterdam 04-30-2013 07:26 PM

+1 for windsors

Special K 04-30-2013 07:30 PM

What are the benefits of grass fed cows vs. corn or grain fed?

Taste? Health? Environment? Cow's feelings?

Sorry if I sound ignorant.
Posted via RS Mobile

tiger_handheld 04-30-2013 07:40 PM

word at work has been

JD Farms - http://www.jdfarms.ca/
Heritage Meats - http://www.heritagemeatsgourmet.com/

I think they are in Langley/Cloverdale

radioman 04-30-2013 07:45 PM

Famous Foods +1

I have hook ups :fullofwin:

Soundy 04-30-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8225435)
Problem with Hopcott is OP wants 100% grass fed..

So far OP hasn't responded to confirm that...

If that's not the case, +1 for Hopcott's - they're just a few minutes from me, go there all the time. Whatever they're feeding their cows, it makes for some taaaaaaaaaasssssty eatin'!

godwin 04-30-2013 10:29 PM

JD is a turkey farm.. they don't have beef, unless they have been keeping cows along with turkeys in the barn at their back lot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8225743)
word at work has been

JD Farms - JD Farms Specialty Turkey Store and Bistro
Heritage Meats - Heritage Meats Gourmet - Home

I think they are in Langley/Cloverdale

godwin 04-30-2013 10:43 PM

Just taste and I would even argue you probably can't get statistical significance in a double blind taste test. Genetically they are the same, you can't tell grass, grain or corn fed by sending a sample for sequencing..

Basically it is time vs cost thing. corn / grain can bulk up cattle so they can be sold to market ASAP, as the food have higher nutritional content. Nearly all commercial cow lots sell them at 18 months. Ranchers have standing contracts with suppliers to supply x number of cows at y number of weight minimum and by z date; they get an advance for that.

When the oil crisis hit after 2003, there is the demand for corn for e85. Corn became expensive from the mid west, so people switch to grain... the last few years there had been drought, so grain became expensive too.

Now the whole paleo diet thing is people want to have meals as close to caveman as possible, since cavemen were not agrarian.. people on paleo diet, want beef that don't have grain in it (which is ironic if you think about it, since the beef cattle as we have, didn't exist back in those days either).

My contention is unless you raise your own cow, getting cow from any mass market method cannot guarantee it has not been grain fed at any point in the cattle's life. "Fed" only covers the last few months of finishing before slaughter. Unlike Aussie beef which is tracked by RFID and you can pull the file on each and every cattle sold and fed; Conservatives like the Republicans like small gov; they didn't want the animal tracking law.. well besides the fact that vCJD will be traced to the source and since Ab is the conservative strong hold, we all know it is wrong to bite the hand that feeds you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special K (Post 8225734)
What are the benefits of grass fed cows vs. corn or grain fed?

Sorry if I sound ignorant.
Posted via RS Mobile

unit 05-01-2013 11:05 AM

might not be what OP is looking for but my fav butcher is seafair gourmet meats in richmond.
they are a full service butcher and you always feel comfortable askign them to do things for you, such as cutting bones, grinding meat, or specially ordering stuff.

i dont recall them having grass fed beef but they do have hormone free chicken and some other things. as well as a good freezer section with less common stuff that for the most part is made in house.