REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

BIG 4

Hi, Just wondering if anyone's currently working or has worked in any of the Big 4? What did you think of it? Did it help you with your career? Going into my 4th year this sept, so I have to start thinking about job hunting.

TIA
Advertisement
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Big 4 what?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #3

sorry, got to used to posting on school groups. Big 4 accounting firms
Posted via RS Mobile
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

man if you cant be more specific your gonna fail at life..lol..list the actual companies..jeez
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
Isn't it the big 5? Bank of can, rbc, cibc, bmo, to?
Posted via RS Mobile
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,118 Times in 161 Posts
***td
Posted via RS Mobile
Jayboogz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Big 4 what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
man if you cant be more specific your gonna fail at life..lol..list the actual companies..jeez
If you don't automatically know what "Big 4" is, you likely will have little useful input to the OP's question to begin with.

Big Four (audit firms) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
If you don't automatically know what "Big 4" is, you likely will have little useful input to the OP's question to begin with.

Considering this is a automotive forum the OP should be more specific in his question. Thus eliminating all the questions on who the Big 4 are.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Perhaps. Wasn't criticizing or anything, just pointing out it's not that big of an error of omission as somebody unfamiliar with the term may think.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
Considering this is a automotive forum the OP should be more specific in his question. Thus eliminating all the questions on who the Big 4 are.
I'm sorry if I'm a little unclear in my post but if those who have worked in any of the big 4 accounting firms, they will know which are the big 4.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post

I might not know anything but my brother the CA would. He was the head of the tax department at KPMG then was a CFO for a few mining companies and now owns his own firm.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
I'll throw in a word here.

My brother went to a meeting with 1 of the Big 4 to talk about internship/co-op opportunities. He pretty much said that he was abit shocked at the honesty of the guy he talked to.

The guy he talked to said:
"If you don't have a 4.0 GPA or 3.99 GPA, your kind of SOL. We're looking for the best of the best and don't really want to spend any time on anything less. We'd only consider you aswell if you stand out somehow from everybody else, yet your GPA still better be in the high 3's (3.85+)"

This is kind of reality though as I have a friend who graduated from UBC with a 4.0GPA and she was hired by 1 of the Big 4 before she even graduated. She was also a big part of the community though and volunteered TONS in her years of UBC.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #13

So it is largely grade dependent then i would assume. Thanks for your insight!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
Grades don't mean everything. They want to see you are a well rounded character. I know a few people with an average GPA (3.2ish) getting into the big 4 because they have been actively involved in the community (volunteering, sports activities, clubs, etc).

What you really need to do is network and get to know the recruiters. And this is something you should have started a few months ago.
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
Grades don't mean everything. They want to see you are a well rounded character. I know a few people with an average GPA (3.2ish) getting into the big 4 because they have been actively involved in the community (volunteering, sports activities, clubs, etc).

What you really need to do is network and get to know the recruiters. And this is something you should have started a few months ago.
well said, networking is almost 75% of how to get jobs nowadays. obviously you grades cant be terrible. Of course they can be lenient and are willing
to take mid GPA students if you have lots of volunteering, special interest and are well rounded. Again its who you know..
aikenluu918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
great post melloman.

grades aren't everything, so for those who doesn't have a 4.0 GPA, ask yourself then what makes you stand out to hire you? What makes you so special to pick you out of the 1000 applicaitons? People complain about why do people only look at my grades. The question is, what do you want people to look at then? How awesome your car is? how great you're able to mod your car? fuck that.

I get this a lot. I'm already so awesome, why can't people just realize it. TO be honest, it's cause you're not. I often ask my applicants this question. Tell me something that's not school or GPA related and what makes you special? A lot of people go speechless, why? Because at that moment, you look back and you realize having iphone 5, finishing another level on candy crush, being a FB whore etc... all these things, in the end means nothign to the employer and you start questioning what you have really done to enhance your career or character.

there is no right or wrong, and even for someone that has 10 yrs of experience, it's how they answer and go about this question, that gets them hired.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
great post melloman.

grades aren't everything, so for those who doesn't have a 4.0 GPA, ask yourself then what makes you stand out to hire you? What makes you so special to pick you out of the 1000 applicaitons? People complain about why do people only look at my grades. The question is, what do you want people to look at then? How awesome your car is? how great you're able to mod your car? fuck that.

I get this a lot. I'm already so awesome, why can't people just realize it. TO be honest, it's cause you're not. I often ask my applicants this question. Tell me something that's not school or GPA related and what makes you special? A lot of people go speechless, why? Because at that moment, you look back and you realize having iphone 5, finishing another level on candy crush, being a FB whore etc... all these things, in the end means nothign to the employer and you start questioning what you have really done to enhance your career or character.

there is no right or wrong, and even for someone that has 10 yrs of experience, it's how they answer and go about this question, that gets them hired.
Great post but aren't yourself an avid user of this forum?
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
If you've only started considering Big 4 in your 4th year and have no clue whether it'll benefit you or not, most likely you're way behind.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #19

I've done my own research regarding the firms but I would rather hear it directly from those who have gone through the process to get a different set of insight. I transferred into UBC in my third year so yes, unfortunately I missed out on the events last year but that's why I'm trying to prepare for it for the upcoming recruiting season
Old 05-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
I'll throw in a word here.

My brother went to a meeting with 1 of the Big 4 to talk about internship/co-op opportunities. He pretty much said that he was abit shocked at the honesty of the guy he talked to.

The guy he talked to said:
"If you don't have a 4.0 GPA or 3.99 GPA, your kind of SOL. We're looking for the best of the best and don't really want to spend any time on anything less. We'd only consider you aswell if you stand out somehow from everybody else, yet your GPA still better be in the high 3's (3.85+)"

This is kind of reality though as I have a friend who graduated from UBC with a 4.0GPA and she was hired by 1 of the Big 4 before she even graduated. She was also a big part of the community though and volunteered TONS in her years of UBC.
Key word here is your friend is a "she".
jjson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne_200 View Post
Hi, Just wondering if anyone's currently working or has worked in any of the Big 4? What did you think of it? Did it help you with your career? Going into my 4th year this sept, so I have to start thinking about job hunting.

TIA
it depends what you want to do in your career. doing audits will sap your energy and you will be beaten down by everything. but if you finish your modules and do well, you'll have your CA and the field definitely opens up.

what do i know though.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenluu918 View Post
well said, networking is almost 75% of how to get jobs nowadays. obviously you grades cant be terrible. Of course they can be lenient and are willing
to take mid GPA students if you have lots of volunteering, special interest and are well rounded. Again its who you know..
Too true. Volunteering, going to events, getting into clubs will all help with getting to know people and getting YOUR NAME known to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
great post melloman.

Again very true. Grades aren't 100% of what they look for, yet a big firm will want to know that you have that determination behind you so they know that you know what your doing, and if not are willing to put in 110% to figure it out.

All mentioned above, will also help set you apart. Being active in the accounting community will obviously help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Great post but aren't yourself an avid user of this forum?
What does that mean really? Being behind a computer for afew hours a day doesn't mean anything. 24 hours in a day, where you might sleep 4-6hours, means you have 18 hours left to: volunteer, work, play sports, be in clubs or do anything else. Making a post only takes a minute or two.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
accounting lol.

stick with big 2.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
I don't get it

Totally came into this thread thinking working in or for Dai lus aka mainlanders
Posted via RS Mobile
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
Totally came into this thread thinking working in or for Dai lus aka mainlanders
Posted via RS Mobile
BIG 6?
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote