REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   White Guys Need Not Apply (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683640-white-guys-need-not-apply.html)

VRYALT3R3D 05-03-2013 09:58 AM

White Guys Need Not Apply

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Ad for New Host: 'Any Race Except Caucasian'

http://newsbusters.org/sites/default.../ABC%20502.jpg

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/04...-no-caucasian/

Read more: Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Ad for New Host: 'Any Race Except Caucasian' | NewsBusters

Qmx323 05-03-2013 10:10 AM

CBC had a brain fart.

Messerschmitt 05-03-2013 11:20 AM

RCMP has a policy to hire 10% aboriginals, 20% Non-white, 30% female. These are minimums. The remaining 40% is up for grabs for whitey males AND more female, non-white, aboriginals if there are more than the minimums policy.

I'm sure a lot of other organizations have the same. It's very sad really. Maybe in 50 years whites will be the new slaves, who knows.

http://i.imgur.com/M5McZ4V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oWYWONp.jpg

StylinRed 05-03-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qmx323 (Post 8227857)
CBC had a brain fart.

wasn't CBC's fault it was the casting agent they contracted

to add the ad was posted on the agencies website & craigslist

Larissa Mair Casting and Associates Inc.

meowjinboo 05-03-2013 11:57 AM

if it is for a television show, people are fucking stupid to think that this is a case of racism.

VRYALT3R3D 05-03-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8227923)
wasn't CBC's fault it was the casting agent they contracted

to add the ad was posted on the agencies website & craigslist

Larissa Mair Casting and Associates Inc.

"Chuck Thompson, head of media relations for CBC English Services, said the language in the ad was regrettable but the public broadcaster was indeed looking for diversity."

Apparently they thought diversity meant no white people...

vitaminG 05-03-2013 12:24 PM

Sid Vicious 05-03-2013 12:26 PM

IMO, its retarded to be proud of being white/black/purple/straight/gay/male/tranny etc

its not like you accomplished anything or had a choice...you're just...proud to exist?

melloman 05-03-2013 12:27 PM

No caucasians..

:fulloffuck:

I thought we were the fucking minority now.. :pokerface:

VRYALT3R3D 05-03-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 8227963)
theres good reasons for that, Police should represent the communities they serve. People of different backgrounds bring information about their cultures which will help the police serve their communities better.

They should be hiring the best person for the job, not hire someone for the sake of filling a quota.

Tapioca 05-03-2013 12:39 PM

The poster the CBC used is regretable, but it didn't take long for this thread to blow up.

Whites may feel like a minority because Vancouver has large populations of East and South Asians, but once you step outside the Vancouver bubble, whites are still the majority. And of course, if you look at most major organizations in this country, white males occupy the vast majority of the managers' chairs.

I don't believe in quotas and I absolutely believe in hiring the best person for the job. But let me ask you: when you screen job applications, do you screen out applications whose names you can't pronounce? When you want to do business with people, do you shy away from those with accents? How many ethnic minority managers do you have?
Posted via RS Mobile

Lomac 05-03-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8227936)
if it is for a television show, people are fucking stupid to think that this is a case of racism.

This.

Casting has nothing to do with racism. (Well, usually not lol.) If you're looking to fill a specific role, you're going to put an ad out looking for someone that matches a particular. Saying, "Come one, come all," in an attempt to appease the population simply creates a lot of unnecessary work when it comes to sifting through CV's and headshots.

For all we know, the role they're looking to fill could be designed to be a physical example of teaching children about tolerance and anti-racism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D (Post 8227967)
They should be hiring the best person for the job, not hire someone for the sake of filling a quota.

If one of my roles calls for an old black guy, I'm going to go looking for a well aged black guy who fits the position. Possibly changing an entire script to fit in a young East Indian female, especially for a show we know nothing about, is usually not feasible and often runs contrary to the general plot of the show/film.

VRYALT3R3D 05-03-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8228011)
For all we know, the role they're looking to fill could be designed to be a physical example of teaching children about tolerance and anti-racism.

Nothing teaches tolerance and anti-racism like excluding Caucasian people!

Lomac 05-03-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D (Post 8228039)
Nothing teaches tolerance and anti-racism like excluding Caucasian people!

I get the irony, don't worry. :p

But the fact remains that we know nothing about the role they're casting. There could be a very legitimate reason why they were looking for someone who isn't white.

VRYALT3R3D 05-03-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8228040)
I get the irony, don't worry. :p

But the fact remains that we know nothing about the role they're casting. There could be a very legitimate reason why they were looking for someone who isn't white.

Here is the Government of Canada’s position on discriminatory hiring in the public service. According to one of Stephen Harper’s former Presidents of the Treasury Board, Stockwell Day
Quote:

“While we support diversity in the public service, we want to ensure that no Canadian is barred from opportunities in the public service based on race or ethnicity,” Day said in a statement.

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney, who was also involved in the decision to review the government’s hiring practices, which give priority to qualified applicants from minority groups, said everyone should be considered for federal jobs.

“We are in favour of appropriate diversity in the public service and reasonable efforts to achieve it, but we don’t think any Canadians should be excluded from applying within their government,” he told CBC News. “It’s OK to encourage people from different backgrounds to apply but in our judgment it goes too far to tell people that if they are not of a particular race or ethnicity they cannot apply [for a job] that is actually funded by their tax dollars.”
http://www.stephentaylor.ca/wp-conte...mair-email.png

tool001 05-03-2013 02:43 PM

stupid people making a deal for casting, Casting could be for a asian or a minority type role (non white) i would like to see a white guy playing asian or playing black..

or simply they are trying to appeal to asian/southasian/black /etc community. im not sure, but companies do get a break for hiring minorities? dont they?

T4RAWR 05-07-2013 11:23 AM

Proud to be Canadian.

Enough with this hyphenated bullshit.

:pokerface:

El Bastardo 05-07-2013 11:28 AM

As someone who wanted to get into the news and broadcasting industry, this is disheartening
Posted via RS Mobile

mk1freak 05-07-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8227966)
No caucasians..

:fulloffuck:

I thought we were the fucking minority now.. :pokerface:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool001 (Post 8228079)
i would like to see a white guy playing asian or playing black..

:accepted:

GLOW 05-07-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool001 (Post 8228079)
i would like to see a white guy playing asian or playing black..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mk1freak (Post 8231172)

:accepted:

RRxtar 05-07-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8227965)
IMO, its retarded to be proud of being white/black/purple/straight/gay/male/tranny etc

its not like you accomplished anything or had a choice...you're just...proud to exist?

:troll:

On a more serious note, I heard Halle Barry giving an interview on racism one time and she used an experience as an example that is directly related to this.

She said one time she was passed over for a roll because the producers wanted the character to be white, and therefore, were looking for a while actress. She went on for 10 minutes about how that is racist and discriminatory.

I lost some respect for her there.

meowjinboo 05-07-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8231359)
:troll:

On a more serious note, I heard Halle Barry giving an interview on racism one time and she used an experience as an example that is directly related to this.

She said one time she was passed over for a roll because the producers wanted the character to be white, and therefore, were looking for a while actress. She went on for 10 minutes about how that is racist and discriminatory.

I lost some respect for her there.

there are some serious typecasting problems in the movie industry.

my friend is vietnamese and has had some bigger roles but always plays the vietnamese gangster.

GLOW 05-07-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8231427)

my friend is vietnamese and has had some bigger roles but always plays the vietnamese gangster.

the way the movie industry is he'll be able to expand in to roles such as the chinese gangster or the japanese gangster...or the chinese take-out guy

RRxtar 05-07-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8231427)

do you want a black guy playing the vietnamese gangster and the vietnamese guy playing the cowboy in an old west movie?

typecasting is because the audience expects to see a certain type of actor play a certain type of roll.

should michelle rodriguez play iron man to avoid type casting?

meowjinboo 05-07-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 8231589)
do you want a black guy playing the vietnamese gangster and the vietnamese guy playing the cowboy in an old west movie?

typecasting is because the audience expects to see a certain type of actor play a certain type of roll.

should michelle rodriguez play iron man to avoid type casting?

i agree, but im just saying it's hard for a non white non blue eyed blonde hair actor to find roles in hollywood.