REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 04-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #26
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
I went to BFB in early February for an early valentines day and it was easily one of the most memorable meals I have ever eaten. I have been to Araxi a few times and it was definitely a good meal, but BFB was a great experience coupled with a good meal. I couldn't disagree more strongly with it being bad food or overbearing service. The service is a lot more table side than most are used to - drinks as well as cheese, etc. We had a GREAT guy doing it, fairly young, and we had lots of fun with him and it was really a plus but I suppose if you hated the guy taking care of your table, you might find he was there a lot. YMMV but I had no issue at all with that.

Definitely don't go in with ANY consideration for price though... just accept that its going to be a big bill on your credit card and order purely based on what you want to eat or drink. The fastest way to ruin an incredible experience is to torture yourself with whether the duck is worth the $10 supplement or not... just order what you want. FWIW my bill for the 2 of us with a few drinks each, a few supplements in the menu, and both cheese and dessert courses was about $360 including taxes and tip.

I've spent $250 on dinner before and left feeling unsatisfied - I can promise that for the $360 I spent, I felt like we got every bit of value out of it.

Mark
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #27
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I went to BFB in early February for an early valentines day and it was easily one of the most memorable meals I have ever eaten. I have been to Araxi a few times and it was definitely a good meal, but BFB was a great experience coupled with a good meal. I couldn't disagree more strongly with it being bad food or overbearing service. The service is a lot more table side than most are used to - drinks as well as cheese, etc. We had a GREAT guy doing it, fairly young, and we had lots of fun with him and it was really a plus but I suppose if you hated the guy taking care of your table, you might find he was there a lot. YMMV but I had no issue at all with that.

Definitely don't go in with ANY consideration for price though... just accept that its going to be a big bill on your credit card and order purely based on what you want to eat or drink. The fastest way to ruin an incredible experience is to torture yourself with whether the duck is worth the $10 supplement or not... just order what you want. FWIW my bill for the 2 of us with a few drinks each, a few supplements in the menu, and both cheese and dessert courses was about $360 including taxes and tip.

I've spent $250 on dinner before and left feeling unsatisfied - I can promise that for the $360 I spent, I felt like we got every bit of value out of it.

Mark

Great information! Thank you!!!
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #28
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
^^
Ask the hostess or restaurant manager if you can tour or just "glimpse" the wine cellar (which could be more appropriately termed wine mega bunker/cellar)
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmisstrinh View Post
Bump! Can anyone suggest some good restaurants, besides Araxi? I'm looking into going to Bearfoot Bistro, but looking at some reviews on Yelp, its scary how many people say the food is bad and service is overbearing. TIA!
Rimrock rimrock rimrock rimrock. So awesome.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #30
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

go for a beer tour, rock climbing or check out the glaciers
speediandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #31
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,171 Times in 2,404 Posts
The last time I went to Whistler was for an anniversary and it was a total fine dining/drinking trip. We hit up Rimrock, Bearfoot and Elements in the three evenings we had there, and the trip previous we did Araxi.

Another I would add is Elements Urban Bistro. It's a totally casual tapas bar but the food is great; one of the best 'bites' of the trip (mushroom-truffle croquette).

I echo all of lowside's sentiments on Bearfoot, though I can see how it may be more 'snooty' or 'overbearing' for people who are used to a more casual experience. It is more 'old-school' fine dining, the room itself and ambiance definitely feels more formal than even Araxi. If you've never tried it, the table-side nitro ice cream is awesome and worth the supplement (though if you've had nitro ice-cream before it before I wouldn't bother).

Also +1 for Rimrock; also great, more casual than Araxi and Bearfoot.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #32

Bumping an old thread, but I was wondering which zipline is better. Superfly Zipline or the ZipTrek eco tour - Eagle tour.

Going up this weekend and I was debating which I should do..

Thanks
Old 08-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #33
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Are those te two ran by same company?

If so we did the "newer" of the two and it's suppose to be way better
Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Sorry other way around, the superfly was the one I did just recently, that one was way better.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #35

You guys who went to rimrock, how much is it? Kinda hard to get a gauge on the pricing

Also how'd you get there? Me and GF staying in the village and we'll probably be drinking so can't really drive, it's only 3.5 KM's so I guess we could walk
Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #36
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

bungee jumping!! I went last weekend @__@ it was $130 per person comes with a t-shirt
belvedere ice room.. pretty neat! and you take a picture in those heavy goose jackets too
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #37

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I went to do the Ziptrek Eagle tour. It was fantastic for first time zip liners. We went through 5 lines and a small hike with some astonishing views. One thing that is most notable about this Ziptrek was their harnesses. The harnesses allow you to flip upside down. From what Ive read online about Superfly, their harnesses don`t allow you to freely move around (correct me if I`m wrong). Also, not sure how many lines are in the Superfly ziplines.

I also went to Scandinave Spa. Highly recommended for anyone who wants a relax spa experience. The facility is clean and the view was amazing. PM me if you want to know more about the experience.

I also went hiking up whistler mountain. The view and the fresh air along with a nice hike was an experience you cannot forget.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
You guys who went to rimrock, how much is it? Kinda hard to get a gauge on the pricing

Also how'd you get there? Me and GF staying in the village and we'll probably be drinking so can't really drive, it's only 3.5 KM's so I guess we could walk
It's a ways away down the highway, I would take a cab or bus instead of walking alongside a dark highway at night.

Last time I went I spent $120 all-in. If I remember we had 2 appys, 2 entrees, 1 dessert and a glass of wine each.
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #39
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,149 Times in 7,150 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions for restaurants other than the usual? I'm not really wanting the fine dining type thing. Looking for something with a little more modern approach. Awesome food in a casual(ish) environment. Was considering checking out aura at nita lake lodge, but its a little fancy for what I'm looking for.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:52 AM   #40

You been to Elements Bistro?
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #41

Visit Araxi. Their oyster special from 3-5pm seems like a good choice. My friend had lunch there and they said it was fantastic. Shrimp was fresh and large. Araxi dinner select was well done. Duck breast and venison seems like a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for restaurants other than the usual? I'm not really wanting the fine dining type thing. Looking for something with a little more modern approach. Awesome food in a casual(ish) environment. Was considering checking out aura at nita lake lodge, but its a little fancy for what I'm looking for.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #42
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Mongolie Grill....

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #43

Went to Rimrock on saturday night for dinner. Honestly, one of the better meals i've had i'd say. Great service, great food, great wine list. I'll post a review in the food forum when i get a chance
Old 09-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #44
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
I did the tasting tour with the wife last weekend as suggested here by Marshall Placid and it was awesome. My wife was fortunate enough to be chosen to sabre the champagne so she now has a new party trick.

The wine cellar was ridiculous. The estimated value of the collection was sitting at 1.8M. One bottle from 1929 IIRC.. Olympic bobsled suspended from the ceiling for when rich/famous go down for a drink. The owner also holds the Guinness record for most bottles sabred in 1 minute with 21 total.. super cool experience, however, I would say overall the food itself was really good, but not great. Definitely something I will recommend to others though, thanks MP!

For those interested: http://www.whistlertastingtours.com/...s-finer-things

The gal who took us around is actually in the advert for the vodka ice room.. blond on the right. Better looking in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #45
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Group of 15 heading up first week of December, what can we do? Most things aren't open till mid Dec... is skating open? What else could we do?
RuffleCopterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #46
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz View Post
Group of 15 heading up first week of December, what can we do? Most things aren't open till mid Dec... is skating open? What else could we do?
You're at the mercy of the weather and snow levels as far as activities are concerned. Superfly Ziplines might be open, Ziptrek will be open. You may be able to snowmobile with TAG or Canadian, but otherwise it's restaurants and Whistler Mountain.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #47
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Garfinkel's ? Gibbons Hospitality Group

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #48

Is there any nice night viewing spots near Whistler where we can drive to chill or something like that?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #49
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz View Post
Is there any nice night viewing spots near Whistler where we can drive to chill or something like that?
what type of vehicle do you have?
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #50

Acura MDX