REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Aerial Photography, I want to film your driving skills!

Hey. I just joined these forums and hoping I can help some folks out, and they can do the same for me.

I am an aerial photographer and I am looking to get some content for my website, High Above Foto | Aerial Photography and Computers. It is under construction right now but that to be remedied soon.

I have an RC helicopter (quad actually) that I use to do aerial photography from the air. It is a stabilized gimbal with a digital camera and 4 propellers that can take images and videos while hovering in the air, pretty neat stuff. By the way please do have a look at my website to get a better idea. Please note that the heli pictured there is not the one I use now, it's an old design. Gotta get that updated.

I am interested in creating some content for my website and I am interested in filming cars and trucks, or anything that moves and makes it look cool. If you can do some neat maneuvers, burnouts, doughnuts, or just make your driving look awesome and want it filmed please let me know. I will be using this content on my website. I will be making a video and image gallery so you can show your friends your awesome driving! You can have a copy too, of course.

The aerial shots give a unique perspective on the whole scene and look very neat. The elevation of the aircraft can be adjusted to any angle so the shots can be near the ground or looking straight down from high up.

If there is an event that you need filmed then let me know and we can figure out how to go about it.

There is absolutely no charge for this.

Thanks

Dima
Advertisement
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Where would you do it though? To be on the legal side...
Posted via RS Mobile
BlueSedanRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
I didn't know it had to be legal for ppl to do stuff ^
Posted via RS Mobile
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #4

I can do it almost anywhere. It is not illegal to film with an RC helicopter but, obviously, safety has to be observed. Here is the FAQ from my website:

"Which areas can you fly in?

We can safely operate the drone in many areas, but some are restricted and other are too dangerous to fly around. We are not permitted to fly over or near airports, unless special permission is provided from the appropriate authorities. It is also not possible to fly above or near power stations due to security concerns and magnetic interference which affects the drone’s electronics. We are also not permitted to fly over populated and crowded areas, unless the people are trained personnel such as a movie crew. It is the responsibility of the customer to obtain all necessary permissions from the appropriate bodies for aerial photography in a given area if such permission is required."

A parking lot or a race track is perfectly suitable for aerial filming. Pretty much anywhere you can drive and show off your skills and car, I can film.

I can film in the lower mainland and Vancouver. If there is a special event that is further out I can be contacted and we can arrange it. Again, no cost.

Thanks for your questions

Dima
Old 05-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
you should speak with some of the guys at the vcmc or other autocross events about shooting for them

sounds like a pretty cool idea
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,517 Times in 1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
you should speak with some of the guys at the vcmc or other autocross events about shooting for them

sounds like a pretty cool idea
I was just thinking the same thing, unfortunately the events are held at Pitt Meadows airport so he probably wouldn't be able to fly his drone
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #7

Thanks for the idea. I can fly my drone if I get a permission from the airport authority. There have been rc airshows at the airport many times so it is possible.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
sea to sky highway
you sit in the car
drone hovers above and captures the winding roads and the driving experience

i think it would be cool if it's possible

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
May 15, ubcscc event at mission raceway
Posted via RS Mobile
!e.lo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by !e.lo_ View Post
May 15, ubcscc event at mission raceway
Posted via RS Mobile

Awesome idea, thank you. Unfortunately it is on wed and I work, and tickets are $200 Otherwise I would totally go.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
You don't have to pay to spectate.
Only participate.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

Thanked 4,071 Times in 346 Posts
i'll let you know when drift events are happening. Will be quite interested to see the outcome.
ThatKoukiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #13

Thanks guys you are awesome. I am just doing some final adjustments to the helicopter but it is pretty much ready to go.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Off topic question: What is the possibility that you can bring this gadget to the next RS and let users try it out for a couple mins?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
Off topic question: What is the possibility that you can bring this gadget to the next RS and let users try it out for a couple mins?
Unfortunately I can't let anyone fly my rc quad. The machine costs ~$3500 with the camera. Though it has failsafes you need to know how to pilot RC aircraft in order to be able to use the machine. If someone crashed it (which is more likely than not) the damage can be extensive to both the machine and the object it is crashed into.

What I can do, however, is to come out and show people what it looks like to pilot the machine. I can have a second monitor connected to my goggles and you can see what I see when I pilot the craft.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Would be fun to have that along up at Stave with the offroading bunch sometime, some nice aerial shots of bouncing up the FSR or blasting through mud pits on the flats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Would be fun to have that along up at Stave with the offroading bunch sometime, some nice aerial shots of bouncing up the FSR or blasting through mud pits on the flats.
Totally. Let me know if you or someone you know is going up and I can come along with my equipment.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Might have to find time next weekend, if the weather is a little better. I'm guessing your gear doesn't like rain too much (nevermind how it hampers visibility).

Would be funny to have a bird's-eye view of ?uestlove getting stuck in the same hole twice again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Might have to find time next weekend, if the weather is a little better. I'm guessing your gear doesn't like rain too much (nevermind how it hampers visibility).

Would be funny to have a bird's-eye view of ?uestlove getting stuck in the same hole twice again
Ha! Yeah, that's true I can't fly in the rain, unless it is very very light. Let me know if you if you want to film.
This post thanked by: