REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 05-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Your Thoughts on Vancouver Scrap Food Green Bin Project

Last week I finally received my green bin and started reading up on it. I acknowledge that we are trying to make this city into the most green city it possibly can with carbon tax, bike lanes, and now this.

Wondering how people expect to deal with some potential problems I hear about are rat infestations, the smell of rotten food in alley during summer months, and maggots (image google "green bin maggots" and you will see what I mean).

The city suggest to freeze the scrap food until the day before pick up and put them out. I find that hard to do because not everyone have enough space in their freezer.

The city is also expecting to expand the project to condos too in the near future. That will mean increased maintenance fees to pay for exterminators.
Advertisement
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
In many respects, Vancouver is years behind the ball on this one.

We had this where I grew up in NS like 20 years ago. I'm not gonna lie, it was annoying hauling a cart up and down a long sloped gravel driveway.

They really don't smell. If people do it properly, and don't put meat scraps in, then you don't have a problem. It's the smell of meat that brings in rats, mice and other problems. Plus, its emptied weekly.

In New West, they are also rolling out the program. The bins were dropped off last week for one of my buildings. Everything has liners and such. Clean system. For the main cart, they even re-line it for me. If people don't hose out the apartment bucket, well, they will when they move out

I don't see it as a huge issue...besides, it saves money on garbage pick-up
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I'm the opposite...I totally see this as being an issue in residential buildings.

I foresee issues with fruit flies, black flies, ants, etc in peoples' apartments AND I see issues with rodents in parking garages (where the dumpsters are).

As for freezing garbage???? I don't have the fucking room to store my fucking garbage in the freezer. I'm all about the environment, but ffs...I think this has gone too far.

Not a fan.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #4

This project costs vancouver an additional 5.4 mil this year and expecting to increase next year. So no, this does not save the city money (unless you count money earned from selling fertilizer and decrease landfill)
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
I don't get it

We have the green bins in Burnaby and for the most part, it works out really well for us. Because we recycle as much as we can, our garbage bin is now the smallest one they have and the green bin is usually about half full except for during the winter months when there's hardly anything in it. There is the concern for smell during the summer but then I don't keep it inside the house and I don't have room in my freezer. This last week when I rolled it out to the alley, there were a lot of ants running around the food inside and during the summer when everything gets really ripe, the maggots start assembling. Nothing like grabbing the handle to move it and finding a bunch of squished maggots on your hand...............

Rat problems are nonexistant since we don't overfill it and the cover is always fully closed.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
I don't mind it because hipster.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

My issue is that I don't see it working in apartment buildings. A house is one thing....but with semi-communal living you need to be concerned about the fucktard living next to you to be on top of it. We have enough problems with people collecting or stockpiling cans and pop bottles and it turning into an ant and fruit fly problem.

One thing for sure....my Orkin dude is going to be happy.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

It's stupid. Aint nobody got time to sort out garbage.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

honestly, i just attracts trouble. We've had these little green bins in surrey for a while and i've had nothing but problems with it. had to set up a mouse trap in my garage. moved the bin outside and have rats and racoons always messing with it and went to put some more food scraps in it and i was greeted my tons of maggots. i stopped using it...

i couldn't imagine this being used in condo complex's, etc
Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post

One thing for sure....my Orkin dude is going to be happy.
...his father died last week and he was still "how are you diddly-doin' cutomer-ino?" with me....dude is always happy.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts
This has been going on for a while in Surrey now and we've had no issues. They're collected weekly as opposed to every 2 weeks with garbage and recycling so rodents and what not have never been a problem.
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #13
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
We have been using one of those plastic rectangle salad containers without a lid for our fruits/vegetable scraps for a long time now. And we have had no problems with ants or flies in the house. It gets dumped into the green yard trimmings bin.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
No word of a lie...this pops into my head at least once a day!

Love Ren & Stimpy!
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
Just want to point out that the City of Vancouver, Surrey, Richmond, Burnaby and all of Metro Vancouver doesn't really have a choice in this matter. Metro Vancouver has put a ban on all food scraps to the Landfill by 2015. It was either now or later.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Coming from someone that actually does composting in his backyard, I've never had an issue with rodents or other various animals/insects creating a mess. So long as you leave your lid on tight and don't put meat in (which is a no-no, anyway), you'll have nothing to worry about.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

composting is different from this program.

this is a once a week pick-up of food scraps....not compost bin...no soil....no worms....no natural process.

rotting food...under the kitchen sink or in the freezer (ew) and put in a container in a parking garage for pick-up.

totally into composting! if the city was supplying compost bins with worms, soil, etc...i think it would be a lot better. this? not for communal living.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Buy a house.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #19
Banned By Establishment

And this really shouldn't matter as you all currently...

pocket mulch?
Old 05-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
So long as you leave your lid on tight and don't put meat in (which is a no-no, anyway), you'll have nothing to worry about.
If you have no garburator and freezer is full, what will you do with waste meat? Heavily bagged in regular garbage (2 week collection)?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #21
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
If you have no garburator and freezer is full, what will you do with waste meat? Heavily bagged in regular garbage (2 week collection)?
I keep a collection of Ziplock freezer bags that i use for waste meat and bones, which I'll just place in the trash. Seems to work well as I haven't had an issue yet with wildlife cowtipping my garbage can.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #22
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
if the city was supplying compost bins with worms, soil, etc...i think it would be a lot better. this? not for communal living.
The city of Vancouver already sells backyard composting bins at greatly discounted prices (I have three of them; want more :P) and also worm composting bins for apartment folks. There are also free composting tutorials organized by Vancouver residents. I heart Vancouver.
FARMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #23
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARMER View Post
The city of Vancouver already sells backyard composting bins at greatly discounted prices (I have three of them; want more :P) and also worm composting bins for apartment folks. There are also free composting tutorials organized by Vancouver residents. I heart Vancouver.

I am aware. But, this isn't what this program is....it is a food scrap bin, not compost.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
I just read the city's page, it's excruciating, probably written by the anal retentive guy from SNL.
Wrap scraps in newspaper?, put in freezer?
Fuck me running!

OTOH, the Toronto scheme of bagging the scraps worked for me in '07.
Plus they took a wider variety.
Digester ftw.

Last edited by finbar; 05-20-2013 at 10:15 AM.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:

I am aware. But, this isn't what this program is....it is a food scrap bin, not compost.
Then what were you trying to say in your previous post? If you want to compost your food scraps, the city subsidizes you for that, if you want to use these new bins you can do that. What else more do you want?
FARMER is offline   Reply With Quote