REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Mother's Day Shooting (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683963-mothers-day-shooting.html)

smoothie. 05-12-2013 12:50 PM

Mother's Day Shooting

Quote:

Twelve people are being treated for gunshot wounds following a shootout at a second line parade on Mother’s Day in New Orleans. The youngest victim in the surprise attack was 10 years old, according to a local resident.

Over 100 people were participating in the residential festival, on Frenchmen Street, in the north of the city, when several shots were fired. The incident occurred around 2pm local time on Sunday.

Police confirmed the number of casualties stood at 12 following some discrepancies in initial hospital reports, suggesting that between five and 11 may have been injured.

Police believe three suspects were responsible for the gunfire. A door-to-door search is being conducted in the hopes of tracing one or more of them.

“The shots just started ringing out, and everybody just started running, and the next thing I heard, 10-15 people got shot,” one witness told local station WDSU.

No fatalities have been confirmed, but three are reportedly in a critical condition.

Police and local media appealed for anyone with information on the incident to contact crime stoppers in the hope of tracing the gunman, or gunmen.

A week ago, police were also called out to investigate a triple shooting near the corner of Frenchman street.
Share on Tumblr

Comments (84)
Quote:

Anonymous user May 12, 2013 20:48

Staged by the gov. In attempts to get rid of guns
still an individual May 12, 2013 20:48

Suicidal cowards in their teens, the way I see it, attempt to 'beat the record' or as CNN calls it 'If this BODY COUNT holds up...' in Newtown, and they go to gun free zones where they meet the least resistance. Va Tch, Aurora, and Newtown are 'record holders' in these days of video games. Twisted thinking by twisted boys mostly fatherless most of their lives. Don't TOUT numbers of dead, Media and don't make their names 'legendary.'
Anonymous user May 12, 2013 20:48

12 shot, including 10yo child during Mother?s Day parade in New Orleans ? RT USA

12 people injured in Mother's Day shooting - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports

:seriously:

- kT 05-12-2013 01:36 PM

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpr...-2560x1600.jpg

not kidding. shit like this is becoming way too commonplace

vafanculo 05-12-2013 01:37 PM

What's fucked is that this morning I had a strange feeling there would be a mass shooting in the states.. Perfect way for people to one up each other

Edit..was this a mass shooting or people getting hit in crossfire
Posted via RS Mobile

Kidnapman 05-12-2013 02:00 PM

Fucken hell, worse time and place to have a shooting. My condolences to those effected by these numskulls.

Hondaracer 05-12-2013 02:25 PM

this world is just getting doper and doper

dinosaur 05-12-2013 02:28 PM

Well, this goes to show you that even when you are in a parade, you should carry a gun. If everyone had guns, this never would have happened.

XplicitLuder 05-12-2013 02:31 PM

^ what?

How would it not have happened? It just gives those others who have guns a chance to retaliate against the perpetrators..so technically wouldn't MORE people perhaps get hurt?

Yodamaster 05-12-2013 02:34 PM

:|

I'm becoming increasingly concerned as to how these people are still able to aquire any weapon (though we still don't know if they were legal or not), but I'm even more concerned as to why these kinds of people aren't being found and treated in the first place.

I'm not going to go further into the gun debate here, I want to focus on why there is such a lack of care in the United States regarding "damaged" or "troubled" individuals. I myself suffered from severe depression and anxiety, I know what it's like to feel helpless, and the system I'm seeing down there DOES.NOT.WORK. Just having someone who would listen to me helped me, and there is little to no such resource there.

I'm not going to pretend like I know exactly what was in their heads, but it's nothing that resembles a stable individual, individuals that need to be reached out to.

My two cents.

Kidnapman 05-12-2013 02:35 PM

lol i think she was being sarcastic. :lol

XplicitLuder 05-12-2013 02:36 PM

you never know with dino :troll:

dinosaur 05-12-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XplicitLuder (Post 8235628)
you never know with dino :troll:

:rukidding:

Graeme S 05-12-2013 03:50 PM

The thing that disappoints me about all this is that I read about it on News1130 (hat tip to Gh0strider for the link)...but then when I flicked to the 24-hour news stations, there was not a peep. And when I went to google news (admittedly when it was first breaking) I actually had to search for it before it showed up.

...So a bomb goes off and everyone drops fucking everything. Three coordinated people shoot a bunch of people and nothing? Well fuck.

dinosaur 05-12-2013 04:37 PM

^^

Same thing with CNN...went online to see what they had to say....had to look for the story. Wasn't even headline.

Sad day when something like this happens and its not even "Breaking News". Sick.

Edit:

Just checked again...now it is. Hours ago, it wasn't....I guess they have pics now.

Hondaracer 05-12-2013 04:41 PM

In some ways less reporting on stuff like this the better
Posted via RS Mobile

dinosaur 05-12-2013 05:08 PM

yes and no.

Yes because it stops sensationalism and copy-cats.

No because people need to see it to push the gov't for more gun control.

punkwax 05-12-2013 08:15 PM

American media just wants everyone to live in fear. Sad really..

Bonjour43MA 05-12-2013 08:30 PM

Disturbed young men with twisted view of the world bombs a marathon, kills 3 and wounded 170 - no call to ban bombs from the public, media focuses on the perpetrator.

Disturbed young men with twisted view of the world shoots up a parade, kills 12 - call to ban guns from the public, media focuses on the weapons of choice.

Can someone tell me how bombs are somehow more acceptable than guns?

Horrible tragedy, of course. A lot of people and kids need social help to stay on track but unfortunately aren't being supported at all....

rsx 05-12-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonjour43MA (Post 8235860)
Disturbed young men with twisted view of the world bombs a marathon, kills 3 and wounded 170 - no call to ban bombs from the public, media focuses on the perpetrator.

Disturbed young men with twisted view of the world shoots up a parade, kills 12 - call to ban guns from the public, media focuses on the weapons of choice.

It's not. Bombs, bomb making, pipe bombs, etc are illegal. What are you talking about?

Yodamaster 05-12-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonjour43MA (Post 8235860)

Horrible tragedy, of course. A lot of people and kids need social help to stay on track but unfortunately aren't being supported at all....

They already are illegal, it's just that bombs are so easy to make that everyone would rather go after the suspect, not the device. The difference is that they are ALL illegal, therefore there is no "remove these devices from the public" arguement, people know that criminals will make any bomb they please, and that there is nothing anybody can do to stop it.

Bonjour43MA 05-12-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsx (Post 8235865)
It's not. Bombs, bomb making, pipe bombs, etc are illegal. What are you talking about?

Killing of any kind is illegal too. Same as guns acquired through illegal channels.
Ordinary, law abiding citizens won't create bombs to hurt others (even though they have access to the materials), just the same as ordinary, law abiding gun owners won't use guns to hurt others. Any time gun control is being focused on, it does very little to prevent stuff like this from happening.

That being said, the US does need some tighter measures on legal channels for acquiring guns. Too easy for sure.

Graeme S 05-12-2013 09:11 PM

Just a refresher:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/8cf2fb2dc...8jh0o1_250.gif http://25.media.tumblr.com/1358ccbc1...8jh0o2_250.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/9638d4700...8jh0o3_250.gif http://25.media.tumblr.com/360246655...8jh0o4_250.gif

It's one thing to say "Guns don't kill people" (true). It's another thing to say "Controlling the flow of guns including tracking who is buying and who is selling these guns IS THE MOST TYRANNICAL THING A GOVERNMENT CAN DO".

The American government, in an effort to get that last background-check law through actually had a provision in there to make it punishable by jail time to keep records of background checks and gun sales that might be used to create a registry of either guns or owners.

I get that guns are necessary. I get that guns are tools. But it makes no sense to not at least keep track of who has which ones.

bloodmack 05-12-2013 09:41 PM

ironically, the human race is in its most peaceful era ever in history.

stewie 05-12-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8235616)
Well, this goes to show you that even when you are in a parade, you should carry a gun. If everyone had guns, this never would have happened.

giant chain reaction, 1 guy starts shooting. someone turns around and see's it, he starts shooting at him, someone else starts shooting at him, another shoots at the guy whos shooting the other guy whos shooting etc etc lol

dinosaur 05-12-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 8236023)
giant chain reaction, 1 guy starts shooting. someone turns around and see's it, he starts shooting at him, someone else starts shooting at him, another shoots at the guy whos shooting the other guy whos shooting etc etc lol

Well...that would be a quick way to turn a mothers day parade into a gun parade.
Posted via RS Mobile

rsx 05-12-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonjour43MA (Post 8235902)
Killing of any kind is illegal too. Same as guns acquired through illegal channels.
Ordinary, law abiding citizens won't create bombs to hurt others (even though they have access to the materials), just the same as ordinary, law abiding gun owners won't use guns to hurt others. Any time gun control is being focused on, it does very little to prevent stuff like this from happening.

That being said, the US does need some tighter measures on legal channels for acquiring guns. Too easy for sure.

As much as I love guns, and I love them. It's ridiculous to argue against gun control. Australia is a great case study. After their gun massacre, they passed a law within 3 months. The anti-gun ppl echoed the same thing the NRA is saying, freedom is being eroded, absolute gov't tyranny, etc. But in the end, the stats don't lie. They haven't had a massacre since then (afaik) and gun deaths have dropped significantly.